Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >
  • 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

• 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 09-04-2024, 09:13 AM

Heather, that must have been a challenge. Of course the unexpected always is. Thanks for the update and yes, please post photos of your progress on your hand quilting project. I can hand quilt but it is not my joyful place. Three cheers for you to be honoring the creator with by continuing to follow her (maybe his) lead.

Packages to Date:
    JENER8R
    Gaijin
    Travelinggramma
    Janice McC
    Patrick's Mom
    Quossum
    Heathermom2opmc
    pamelor
    Sewbizgirl
    Brenda W.
    Reba Quilt
    Terriamn
    Macybaby

Today's delivery
    SusieQOH

Last edited by WMUTeach; 09-04-2024 at 09:22 AM.
    Old 09-04-2024, 03:39 PM

Heather -- that flooding sounds scary. Septic tank issues afterwards.... ICH!

Your handquilting project sounds like fun. Take lots of pictures along the way so we can see, too. Thank you. And thank you for the birthday wishes :-)
    Old 09-05-2024, 02:58 AM

Heather the flooding sounds horrendous and all it’s after effects.

I have just started reading about the anti inflammatory diet. Ibex do you have any tips?
    Old 09-05-2024, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn
    Heather the flooding sounds horrendous and all it’s after effects.

I have just started reading about the anti inflammatory diet. Ibex do you have any tips?
    Yes, please. Tips, favorite noninflammatory foods and your experience.
    Old 09-05-2024, 03:07 PM

Tips on this anti-inflammatory diet? I am a lover of all things dairy. The anti-inflammatory diet frowns on dairy. That has been the hardest thing to cut out so far for me. Bread may be the tough thing to cut out for others.... gluten is not a friend to anti-inflammation strategies. The book I am reading for inspiration says avoid the known inflammatory food for a few days and then reintroduce it to see if it triggers any bad feelings. Some may be able to consume the foods that are normally recommended to be avoided.

Try to eat unprocessed foods. That is the best tip I can give you. There are so many dyes and chemicals in processed foods. We think the government is able to keep up with everything and truth in labeling laws are protecting us but the truth is that the government agencies charged with confirming truth in labeling are not funded enough to keep track of everything. Those additives cause lots of health problems.

I love nuts, chickpeas (hummus), avocados, fish, and berries. I love water. Finding enough foods that I love to eat is not an issue. Dealing with my cravings of dairy is a different beast. Dropping the coffee and tea is giving me headaches but those will be over soon.

Long ago I gave up high fructose corn syrup (most soft drinks, many foods, and all gooey candy bars) and I highly recommend if you are going to eliminate only one thing in your diet, make it the high fructose corn syrup. It makes my joints ache within the hour of consuming it. Try avoiding it for a week and then reintroduce it into your diet. If your joints ache or you suddenly get cranky or depressed, that's the result of your body trying to metabolize the high fructose corn syrup.

Another major food to avoid is white potatoes. All the other root vegetables are fine but something about white potatoes inflames our tissues.

I like WMUTeach's suggestion of one meal at a time. A meal at a time is manageable and then just stocking the house with the "right" foods. The more anti-inflammatory meals my body gets, the more likely my joints will stop aching and my body chemistry will stabilize. Snacking is easy -- a bag of carrots and snow peas crunches and tastes great to me. More roasted garlic and onion is always welcome in my house and those are on the must eat list.

One of the side effects that I am hoping for is strengthening everything. I get worn out so quickly these days. There is nothing in my bloodwork to indicate that tiredness or brain fog should be here. I suppose it could be a side-effect of COVID. If my body is still inflammed from any virus, I want to try to knock it out of me. I am so unproductive these days because when I get home from work I just want to sleep. So I am giving the anti-inflammatory diet a chance to help me get stronger and productive.
    Old 09-05-2024, 04:34 PM

ibex, thanks for the tips. Dropping white potatoes is a sharp dagger to my heart. If you recall the Bubba Gump list of shrimp, well I can do that with potatoes and I love them all. I like sweet potatoes too, so that should help. Dr. Pepper is another but I have managed to drop it several times in the past few years but it only take a couple and I am back to full "addiction". Back on the wagon again.

"The book I am reading for inspiration says avoid the known inflammatory food for a few days and then reintroduce it to see if it triggers any bad feelings. Some may be able to consume the foods that are normally recommended to be avoided." I like that flexibility. It sounds like a lot of this is knowing your body and its reaction to different foods.
    Old 09-06-2024, 03:33 AM

Mailbox update as of 9/5
    JENER8R
    Gaijin
    Travelinggramma
    Janice McC
    Patrick's Mom
    Quossum
    Heathermom2opmc
    pamelor
    Sewbizgirl
    Brenda W.
    Reba Quilt
    Terriamn
    Macybaby
    SusieQOH

Yesterday's mail stash
    LogCabin82
    Ibex94

Since ibex mentioned the stamps, I have been looking at them more closely. Today I got animals from LC...puppies, elephants and a cougar. OK the cougar was a 1967 Mercury Cougar but it was an ANIMAL in it's day.
    Old 09-06-2024, 09:05 AM

The USPS delivery system is absolutely "cuckoo for cocoa puffs."

On my Informed Delivery was a package scan that I didn't recognize at all. I've been wondering for days what it could be because I wasn't expecting anything.

July 1 - Pre-Shipment, USPS awaiting item

September 4 - Accepted at USPS Origin Facility, ROCHESTER, MI 48307

TWO MONTHS LATER? For two more days it scans through the system.

September 6, 11:55 a.m. - Delivered, In/At Mailbox, ADA, MI 49301

I received an email telling me that it has been delivered. I looked in my mailbox, and nothing was there. That's when I noticed that it was delivered to ADA, MI. I live in Manassas, Virginia!

I'm so confused... This is almost as bad as my contractor sending me the final bill today for my garage build but "forgetting" to include payments and credits totaling $2,324.19. It makes one wonder how many errors are on bills that we accept without checking the itemization. I'm so glad that I'm so detailed oriented.
    Old 09-06-2024, 04:11 PM

I know where Ada, Michigan is at and it is a long way from Manassas, VA. Yes, I have begun demanding an itemized statement for everything too. Want to know what I am paying for. I find medical bills the worst. "June 10 - doctor visit, Balance Due $347.21. No further information. I don't pay until I have a bill that tells me what I am paying for.

Back to quilting and 2.5" squares. I went on a road trip with three quilting friends to a little shop in Holland Michigan that is closing rather unexpectedly in one week Everything was 40% off. I bought 8 yards of WoW and enough yardage for three or four other quilts that simply pleases me. I also have started to do wool applique, so purchased some basics to move ahead in a more creative way.

Have a spectacular weekend enjoying your time as you choose.
    Old 09-10-2024, 03:52 AM

Good morning, candy swappers. Just checking in. Been a bit busy with piecing, and family stuff but I wanted to say "hello". Also, wanted to check with you, WMUTeach, to see if you plan to run the candy swap again this coming year. I've got scraps galore and am using a bunch for scrappy blocks but I can cut candy squares, too. Never to early to plan!