Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares) >
  • 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

• 2024 Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" Squares)

Old 06-26-2024, 01:27 AM

Heather mom, love your WIP. The black sashing is perfect. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Unfortunately, my machine is down so I got no work done for the last week or so. Had hoped to show you the Checkboard Chain all quilted but there it sits untouched. Grrr. Oh, well, maybe next month.
    Originally Posted by Heathermom2opmc
    Here is my most recent wip for candies. All of it is made from scraps including the black sashing. The pattern idea was one that I saw somewhere---so many screenshots that I forget what media I see things on. It is now sewn together and I have put a narrow 1.5 inch yellow border on it. I have a couple ideas to grow this quilt, and I will see where this one takes me. Some of my favorite quilts are ones that seem to grow from a single idea and become unique.
    Fingers crossed that my envelopes for July arrive in time. I mailed them out on the 18th. Looking forward to seeing other wip for 2.5 candies.
    Old 06-26-2024, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by hav4boys
    Just saw this blanket for sale on a site. Would be awesome to make into a quilt.
    I am wondering if this is a variation on a Lori Holt quilt called "Chicken Salad"? Those appliqued hens and roosters are endearing.

Heather I am liking your quilt with the black sashing. I have done the same with different colored sashing on other quilts and it always works. Progress is always a win.

My progress on finishing a quilt has come to a halt, but..... I have cut more 2.5s from scraps that were piling up and taking over my work space. Finished? Nope, progress? YES!!
    Old 06-26-2024, 08:22 AM

@hav4boys Oh, wow, can I relate!

I am also very involved in a hobby called Pathtags, where people collect and trade decorative coins through the mail. (I send a Pathtag with my candies, too!)

It was always my custom to walk down the street to a blue mailbox about half a mile or so away and drop off my trades. Hundreds and thousands of trades had passed through that box with no issues.

But then… sometime a couple of years ago… It seemed like *all* of my trading partners were contacting me with the same message, “Hey, we never got your tag. Can you send a replacement?”

It wasn’t unheard of for a tag to be lost in the mail, but it was pretty rare. I replaced a LOT of tags at once, though… stupidly dropped most of their replacements into the same box…

And most of THOSE never made it, either!

Horribly frustrated (not to mention not wanting to develop a rep as a bad trader!) I did some investigations and discovered that the blue boxes are not all that secure. Apparently they can be opened with a master key, and once thieves get hold of one, they’ll raid the same box repeatedly. They’re looking for checks to steal, but any other items in their haul will probably just get trashed.

Since discovering that, I have never placed another piece of mail into a blue box, even the ones directly in front of the post office. No matter the inconvenience, I walk the items inside and drop them off in the slot that leads directly into the innards of the post office.

Eventually, all my trading partners received their Pathtags, and I’ve only had one go astray since, much more on par with “business as usual.”

So, yeah… been there!
    Old 06-26-2024, 08:47 AM

Quossum, it is horribly frustrating. To mail on time, and then not have the items received. I walked the replacement June and July ones into the post office. I am also steering clear of the blue boxes.
    Old 06-26-2024, 09:44 AM
    Power Poster

Hav, unfortunately I never did receive your first package, but I got the second one you sent! The one that came from Hamilton MO was from Reba. It arrived two months after she mailed it.

Great candy quilt, Heathermom!
    Old 06-26-2024, 10:13 AM

Hi all, I got my candies out in the mail on Monday morning so fingers crossed that they will be there in time for the early birthdays in July.

I've been working on a quilt for the 4th of July fabric contest quilt on Laundry Basket Quilts contest, and just loaded it on their site yesterday, mine is called "Born on the 4th of July." Take a look and vote with a "heart" if you would like, there are some really beautiful red, white and blue quilts with her fabric panel stars. The challenge was to use her red or blue star fabric.

To see the gallery, go to the Laundry Basket Quilt blog, they have a post to click to see and vote on the quilts. You can find mine if you search Nannette. I usually post something here on candy day the 25th, but it slipped my mind. There are several quilts in the contest that appear to use 2.5" squares. The photos are worth scrolling through, but if you want to search and find candy quilts quickly, here are the titles of the quilts I saw using candies. "Home of the brave," "stars so bright" " "cranberry chain turns patriotic" "celebrate with fireworks" "love America" "celebrate with fireworks" "summer stars and flowers" "my patriotic meadowland".

Happy late Candy Day ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails img_0530-1-.jpg  
    Old 06-26-2024, 10:36 AM

Rebaquilts... I couldn't find the gallery. Can you post a link?

p.s. The quilt you posted here is fabulous!
    Old 06-26-2024, 11:04 AM

Sure, here it is:

Laundry Basket Quilts 4th of July Fabric Contest! (pollunit.com)

There are 4 pages of quilts and they are really pretty. Hugs!
    Old 06-26-2024, 01:50 PM

Reba's quilt is o page 2. I voted!
    Old 06-26-2024, 02:18 PM

Thanks so much ;-) <3