Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 5" Kitty Cat Charm Swap - Signup CLOSED >
  • 5" Kitty Cat Charm Swap - Signup CLOSED

• 5" Kitty Cat Charm Swap - Signup CLOSED

Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Wonderful Momofthree! This is a fun & easy way to obtain different kitty fabrics at once :thumbup:

I look forward to receiving your PM after your shopping trip.

Kris

Originally Posted by Momofthree
    My DD loves kitties, so I am off tomorrow to get some kitty fabric. Will PM when I have them washed and cut.
    Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM

I have a question about this statement: "The reason the fabric should be prewashed is because many on this board wash their fabrics as soon as they purchase them. I want these members to be able to participate also." How would prewashing fabrics or not effect whether interested parties participate in a particular swap or not?

This statement puzzled me as I read it and it's probably due to my not understanding the reasoning behind it. I am one who does not wash my fabrics until I am ready to use them and then they are washed in a color & fragrance free detergent. Many of the washed fabrics that I have received or purchased, I find have been washed in scented detergents or stored with scented dryer sheets and I end up having to wash them yet again to rid them of the fragrance. Due to this, my preference has been to receive my fabrics unwashed or right off the bolt if I can get that.

While I can see some advantage to having such small sized precuts washed before swapping (to preshrink), I overall would like to understand if pre washing fabric before swapping is a general preference among quilters in these swap activities.

I will use your comments as an enlightment and educational experience for me since I am new to this board and to the swapping activities.
    Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    I have a question about this statement: "The reason the fabric should be prewashed is because many on this board wash their fabrics as soon as they purchase them. I want these members to be able to participate also." How would prewashing fabrics or not effect whether interested parties participate in a particular swap or not?
    I do NOT think it is intended to make a statement about weather they should be pre-washed or not. If someone washes ALL fabric the minute they take it into their home and the swap calls for "NOT WASHED" fabric, then that person would not be able to pull from their stash and would have to go out and purchase fabric just for this swap so as to have some that hasn't been pre-washed. Does that help??
    Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
    I do NOT think it is intended to make a statement about weather they should be pre-washed or not. If someone washes ALL fabric the minute they take it into their home and the swap calls for "NOT WASHED" fabric, then that person would not be able to pull from their stash and would have to go out and purchase fabric just for this swap so as to have some that hasn't been pre-washed. Does that help??
    This particular swap asked that the fabric be prewashed in that statement which is why I have posted my inquiries. I have seen that on the listings for some swaps, there is a request of preference for washed or unwashed fabrics. My general question of the quilters posting under this swap would be, is there a genernal preference to have swapped fabrics prewashed before you receive them? If that is so, is it because of concerns for shrinkage when receiving such small cuts?
    Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Hmmmm......good question. I have done both kinds of swaps since I've been here. One that I do regularly asks that they not be washed and then others I've done ask that it all be pre-washed...interesting.

This particular swap asked that the fabric be prewashed in that statement which is why I have posted my inquiries. I have seen that on the listings for some swaps, there is a request of preference for washed or unwashed fabrics. My general question of the quilters posting under this swap would be, is there a genernal preference to have swapped fabrics prewashed before you receive them? If that is so, is it because of concerns for shrinkage when receiving such small cuts?
    Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 AM

I have participated in a swap where it was asked that fabric not be washed.

I am the hostess for this swap. While working on the guidelines for this particular swap, I thought more members may consider participating if the fabric could (and has to) be pre-washed. We have many on this board that wash their fabric as soon as it comes in their door.

Some fabrics tend to shrink a tad bit more than others and since this is a 5" square swap, that was another consideration.

I hope this explanation helps :thumbup:

Kris

Old 03-02-2011, 05:21 AM

I would like to be in this swap. I dug thru my fabric and found more cats. It will be fun!
    Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 AM

Sign me up x 4 . I love kitties !

cat
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]131926[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-131921.jpe  
    Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 AM

I also think the washing issue may be an allergy thing. Some people have severe allergies to the chemicals in fabric so if washed it helps.
    Hugs
    April
    Old 03-02-2011, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

Here is an excerpt from the General rules for swapping activities on this board.

"5. When an activity includes swapping fabrics, they should be washed, dried and ironed and cut as precisely as your skills allow. Oranizers should not require they be starched or otherwise treated unless it's essential to success in the type of project involved. Those of us who don't normally prewash should make exceptions when joining in group activities. It's a courtesy to others who may have allergies or other health needs requiring smoke and animal free environments/supplies."

If a swap host/hostess wishes to "differ", they can...but as a general rule...this is what we all agree to follow when we join a swap on this board. Just FYI....the entire section is posted at the top of the "Swaps section" and is also linked to on page 1 of this thread where Kris referenced the general swap rules.