Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 5" Kitty Cat Charm Swap - Signup CLOSED >
  • 5" Kitty Cat Charm Swap - Signup CLOSED

• 5" Kitty Cat Charm Swap - Signup CLOSED

Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the info all. I thought the prewashing may have to do more with shrinkage concerns than personal preference. I was just curious as to what most quilters prefer: prewashing or unwashed.

As a life long clothing sewer (over 40 yrs) and formally educated design student (had designed a line of kids clothing), I would never have accepted fabrics that were prewashed by someone else to use in my garments because I was particular about what type solutions were used on those fabrics.

As a new quilter (about 2 yrs now) I am observing that this process is different with quilters here and as well may apply to quilters overall. Participating in these quilting board swaps is my first forays into exchanging fabrics with others that I do not know personally. This is all a learning process for me and I often want to understand the logic behind certain actions so that I can thoroughly get the process. That's the trained technical side of my left brained life. My right brained functions allow me to be creative which a quilting outlet has allowed me since I no longer sew or desgin clothing.

As I participate in swaps on this board, I will have to retrain myself to think prewash, prewash. New learning curve for me but I will get it. Allergies to chemicals I understand well, I have plenty of them. Again thanks everyone for your comments. It helps. Sorry for being so wordy but think of it as an eye excercise for today (the silver lining).
    Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
    Thanks for the info all. I thought the prewashing may have to do more with shrinkage concerns than personal preference. I was just curious as to what most quilters prefer: prewashing or unwashed.

As a life long clothing sewer (over 40 yrs) and formally educated design student (had designed a line of kids clothing), I would never have accepted fabrics that were prewashed by someone else to use in my garments because I was particular about what type solutions were used on those fabrics.

As a new quilter (about 2 yrs now) I am observing that this process is different with quilters here and as well may apply to quilters overall. Participating in these quilting board swaps is my first forays into exchanging fabrics with others that I do not know personally. This is all a learning process for me and I often want to understand the logic behind certain actions so that I can thoroughly get the process. That's the trained technical side of my left brained life. My right brained functions allow me to be creative which a quilting outlet has allowed me since I no longer sew or desgin clothing.

As I participate in swaps on this board, I will have to retrain myself to think prewash, prewash. New learning curve for me but I will get it. Allergies to chemicals I understand well, I have plenty of them. Again thanks everyone for your comments. It helps. Sorry for being so wordy but think of it as an eye excercise for today (the silver lining).
    I personally prefer unwashed but go with the flow lol
    Hugs
    April
    Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 PM

I'm off to check my stash! I would love to be part of this one and I promise all my blocks are going to be 5.5". I have learned something from experience!! LOL
    Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 AM

Oh great, wildyard, I look forward to receiving a PM from you :D

Kris

Originally Posted by wildyard
    I'm off to check my stash! I would love to be part of this one and I promise all my blocks are going to be 5.5". I have learned something from experience!! LOL
    Old 03-03-2011, 08:18 AM

Well, just dang, so sorry but guess you all will have to go along without me. I'd love to participate, but just realizing that a total of $10.00 in postage is going to make that some expensive fabric. There are 2 other swaps I wanted to do also, and that makes it $30. Arghhhh, where to draw the line. So, guess the best thing for me is to pass and hope for better times down the road.
    Y'all have a wonderful time petting all the kitties tho. Smiles and hugs and I'll be thinking of you!!
    Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM

I haven't been able to find the cat fabrics I want. The closing time is fastly approaching. I'm gonna look some more before I give up.
    Old 03-05-2011, 02:19 AM

I a having a hart time locating kitty fabric too.
    Originally Posted by Havplenty
    I haven't been able to find the cat fabrics I want. The closing time is fastly approaching. I'm gonna look some more before I give up.
    Old 03-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Last time I was in JoAnn's they had some Debbie Mumm cat prints. I have plenty of cat prints in my stash.
    Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 AM
    Power Poster

i sent mine out yeaterday, they are meowing all the way there.
    Old 03-09-2011, 06:01 PM

I was choosing cat fabric tonight. I got some really, really cute fabric, you guys are going to love it.

I did buy the one in the picture because I laughed my head off!!!!! If our leader allows it I'll send it as an extra, if not I'll save it for the ugly fabric contest next year!

hee hee hee
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]121098[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-121093.jpe