Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st >
  • April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

• April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM

I used to love it and it must have been because of the stones and crystals that we found because we ended up in some strange places. I did go to Herkimer NY and got a lot of Herkimer diamonds and one was almost as big as my fist. I had belonged to a mineral club in NH at one point
    Old 03-28-2014, 04:22 PM
    Power Poster

Oh, I wish I had a Herkimer that big. what a paperweight that would make. they are fabulous little gems, aren't they.
    going to a gem show next weekend looking for that elusive larimar ring again. Isn't it a great addiction??? I'm almost done with this collection, just need the ring. what next???? Finished the morganite last month. I'm fascinated with ammolite. have a carat of the full rainbow. quite big about 8 x 10 mm. that goes for a fortune on the cruise ships. Of course, I don't buy there. NH, any good ideas of what I should/need to collect next. I might try amethysts again, got robbed of those. thousands of dollars with all the diamonds.
    Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 AM

Here's the Herkimer with the best of the smaller ones I dug up. The green is an unpolished fluorite. I don't usually wear jewelry even though I have made a lot of bracelets with the gemstones but nothing expensive. The stone I love is Labradorite. It's mostly grey but has blue and green flashes in it. I had some natural red garnets but I can't find them. I left a lot of things when I moved here.
    Attached Thumbnails herkimer-001.jpg  
    Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 AM

Oh I love sparklies! You keep mentioning stones I've never even heard of before. I think you should send me samples so I know what you are talking about, okey dokey???
    Old 03-29-2014, 10:38 AM

I had never heard of some of them before I joined the mineral club. These are about the only sparkly ones I have and they are not really diamonds. I did see on Ebay that they had the Larimar beads there.
    Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 PM

I've been working on my needlecase today. Between that and my pincushion, think Easter! If anyone does not celebrate Easter and would prefer not to have anything Easter, please let Laurie know.

We've had some really bad thunderstorms here today. Talk about flooding, the park where I live always floods when there is heavy rain. When that happens, I get shut off from the world and stuck here. But, it is one of the nicest parks around. We have 2 pools, a clubhouse, 2 lakes and a 9 hole golf course. It's a resident owned park and kept immaculate. Too bad I hate Florida so much or I would stay here.

Oh well, back to sewing. I hope everyone is having a nice day.
    Old 03-29-2014, 12:35 PM

It's raining here now but it will change over to snow soon. They said 1-2" and if I have any more than that I'll be mad. Do you hate Fl because of the heat? I know that would kill it for me. It's way too humid there. I'm not a beach person so I wouldn't care for that. I do love the ocean but not the hot water kind. It does sound like you have a nice place. A lot of people in Ohio are moving to Fl. I hope you don't get all that rain.
    Old 03-29-2014, 04:47 PM
    Power Poster

raining all day. on you tube looking at the top ten of everything 5 hrs there. and rading up more on the illumniti stuff. My favorite stones other than larimar is Russina chorme diopside, and morganite, (a pink emerald, pink beryl)
    blue is aquamarine, red is bixbite, yellow heliodor, green emerald, pink, morganite. Russ chm dio is just such a nice clear green stone. I have about 15-20 stones in my collection. and about 2 dozen made into jewelry now. I think I'll set my ammolite next, unless I buy nother stone. got my rubies from Bangkok, 24 ct. in 4 stones, all heart shapped. excellent specimens. A stone show next weekend, hopefully will buy there too. expensive hobby, but you have to know when and where to buy.
    Klaws, your park sounds beautiful!
    Old 03-30-2014, 06:46 AM

As I look out my window at another couple inches of the white stuff, Florida is sounding pretty good right about now.
    Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

I can't wait till the cruise, down in the warmer climes. Waiting on my partners name.
    it poured all last night here, with super high winds too. my son woke up to 15 quarts
    of water in the bck seat of his car.
    lauriejo, can't believe you're still having snow. I feel so badly for you.