April - Boom 18

Old 01-27-2017, 08:48 AM

Billi -- wish I was there, too. Stunning! I see a potential for stripes if that picture gets turned into a quilt!

Speaking of quilts..... I am finally cleaning up my BOOM 17 boxes (started with one box and 19 gallon baggies, btw) so I can reuse my gallon baggies. I didn't realize I had bought so much fabric to test options for the BOOM, lol. Hopefully, I can use some of it in BOOM 18. At the bottom of the box I found a birthday card that I couldn't figure out what had happened to it. Money inside still.... yippee. Time to hit the fabric store. (isn't it good to know that you're never too old to be happy about getting money for your birthday?)

Speaking of birthdays.... Happy Birthday Francie! You have a birthday that never ends....

Last edited by ibex94; 01-27-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:35 AM

Happy Birthday, Francie! I hope you enjoyed your day to the fullest Ladies, all the blocks are looking fabulous!
Billi, what a breath-taking view! You and Mr. Bill enjoy every minute of your get-away time. Just remember to dress warm in those temperatures!
Old 01-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Here is Molly's block. While I was making it I kept thinking Janice said to make a nine block why didn't you listen. It's not perfect but my husband wants me to keep this one. [ATTACH=CONFIG]566842[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mollymunchkin-2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2017, 10:12 AM

Molly, I’d like to free motion quit a design around the blue inner border. Probably leaves or pebbles the light blue color of the blocks. This will lighten the block up a little, as it looks a lot darker in the middle section real life and hide my mistake.I’ll use Superior Magnifico and this holds up well in the washing machine.

I'm so much better at FMQ than piecing. Tomorrow I pick up my Sweet Sixteen. I couldn't afford a new one but I did find a good used one. Cut a lot off the price.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:21 AM

SewBiz girl sam

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566843[/ATTACH]e question. I did a little practice doodle that I think would be great in your block. This isn't the exact thing that would go in. It's just a practice. Is it ok if I do a little FMQ on your block? The picture cuts off the rest of the brown fabric. As soon as I saw your fabric a few months ago I thought of a wonky Dresden. I wanted to do it with different fabrics but none of mine went well enough with it. I hope you like it. Please don't compare mine with Kass' I going to visit her and apprentice with her some day.

Hoping to get yours, Molly's and a nine block done before I pick up the new machine on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails sewbizgirl.jpg  
Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 AM

MJP those are nice, really great use of the striped fabric, and the modern fan is cool.

When I work on bias edges is use a butt load of spray sizing (in the laundry section near the spray starch only so much better I think) I use about 3 sprays and pressing in between each spray, the fabric becomes almost like paper and tames those bias edges for much easier piecing.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas
Molly, I’d like to free motion quit a design around the blue inner border. Probably leaves or pebbles the light blue color of the blocks. This will lighten the block up a little, as it looks a lot darker in the middle section real life and hide my mistake.I’ll use Superior Magnifico and this holds up well in the washing machine.

I'm so much better at FMQ than piecing. Tomorrow I pick up my Sweet Sixteen. I couldn't afford a new one but I did find a good used one. Cut a lot off the price.
Glad you found a machine!! Your squares are lovely!

BTW, my note from sewbizgirl asked specifically for no embroidery. I suspect she has a plan for how she wants to quilt up the top. She'll be on soon to respond to your post, I'm sure.

Last edited by ibex94; 01-27-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:53 AM

I'm taking the medicine now, still no voice so can't work tomorrow. Besides the no voice the meds have some unpleasant side effects, but worth it if they work and clear up this crud finally. Been working on finishing the test block I started w/ my fabric to figure out Sewbiz's block. And thinking about the fussy cut placement for Jaba's fabric and formulating a plan for a hybrid idea combining EPP and machine sewing.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
Beautiful shot Billi. I hiked down the Grand Canyon when I was 20 then again when I was 40, and decided I will not be hiking down at 60!!!! lol
WHY NOT? Lol, I'm 60 and I'd do it. Very beautiful photo, Billi!
Old 01-27-2017, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

MJP, that's a cool block! I love it but would rather not have any embroidery on it. Thanks.

Kass, have a restful weekend and get better!