Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Batik Block Swap-Sign ups close June 30, 2010 >
  • Batik Block Swap-Sign ups close June 30, 2010

• Batik Block Swap-Sign ups close June 30, 2010

Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 AM

Feathers, I love love love it!
    Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM

Black really makes the applique stand out . . and I know it is difficult to find a batik black that doesn't have a lot of colored splashes on it. I say go for it!
    Will you be joining us Saturday for our quilting board get together? Hope so :)
    Old 05-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by Feathers
    Hi Everyone:
    At our quilt group this month we learned how to do a reverse applique which I'm having a ton of fun with. My question?

I am signed up for the Batik exchange so want to make sure I do what I'm suppose to do as this is the first swap I've done. My question:

I would LOVE to do a reverse applique block with the batik but I could not find plain or even marbled black batik in any of the stores I shopped in to find the batik fabrics I'm using. I went to every WalMart within 100 miles from us, I went to quilt shops (3), JoAnn Fabrics, Fabricland and Mill Ends Fabric store but none of them had the black so I decided to use just plain black cotton. Would you Batik lovers feel cheated if I made my blocks with this black cotton? I can find another pattern to make my Batik blocks using all Batik but I love this reverse applique and I love the blocks, too. Please be honest in your opinion so I can decide what I will do. Thank you so much.
    I think your blocks are beautiful. I'm glad you are having so much fun with your new skill. :-) All I know about batiks I have learned since signing up for this swap. I have read that it is fine to mix other fabrics with batik. I have no objection at all. IF, you get negative feedback that outweighs the positive (I don't think that will happen), I would be happy to check my LQS for you. Have fun!
    Old 05-17-2010, 03:12 PM

That is so Neat...I love that...I saw if that's what you want to do then do it.
    Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers
    Hi Everyone:
    At our quilt group this month we learned how to do a reverse applique which I'm having a ton of fun with. My question?

I am signed up for the Batik exchange so want to make sure I do what I'm suppose to do as this is the first swap I've done. My question:

I would LOVE to do a reverse applique block with the batik but I could not find plain or even marbled black batik in any of the stores I shopped in to find the batik fabrics I'm using. I went to every WalMart within 100 miles from us, I went to quilt shops (3), JoAnn Fabrics, Fabricland and Mill Ends Fabric store but none of them had the black so I decided to use just plain black cotton. Would you Batik lovers feel cheated if I made my blocks with this black cotton? I can find another pattern to make my Batik blocks using all Batik but I love this reverse applique and I love the blocks, too. Please be honest in your opinion so I can decide what I will do. Thank you so much.
    Not cheated at all! I wouid love to have one of your blocks, they are beautiful.
    Claudia Paula
    Old 05-17-2010, 04:00 PM

I am will the other ladies... those revers applique blocks are beautiful and I would be proound to get one in this exchange
    Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Black really makes the applique stand out . . and I know it is difficult to find a batik black that doesn't have a lot of colored splashes on it. I say go for it!
    Will you be joining us Saturday for our quilting board get together? Hope so :)
    Hi Quiltingnonie:
    Yes, I'll be at the Open House this week end...Can't wait.

Thank you all for your opinions, compliments and input. I just love this technique and would really like to do these blocks for the batik exchange. I'm going to try and order some black batik if I can find some.
    Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Dagny, I am not sure, but are you the one taking care of the batik swap now? If so, I'm ready for your address. Could you please PM me? Thanks bunches. :-)
    Old 05-18-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaB
    Dagny, I am not sure, but are you the one taking care of the batik swap now? If so, I'm ready for your address. Could you please PM me? Thanks bunches. :-)
    Done.
    Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 AM

My blocks are in the mail... Dagny if you don't mind could you let me know when they get there... thanks! :)