Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up >
  • Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

• Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 AM

Pinkflowers, you can send you packages as you wish. I have received cards, little shaped notes, little note cards and on and on. It is really your choice. As mentioned by Barb, the more you put in the envelope the more it may cost in postage. Last, year there was quite a conversation about the cost and most ended mailing for just under a dollar. Many swappers carefully lay out their 50 little squares so they fit in a standard sized envelope or a card, if you choose. Some folks send tips or little, emphasis on little, birthday surprises, but those are not required. Watch here for more ideas on mailing. I am sure that others will chime in with tips and ideas on mailing and keeping the swap fun.
    Old 02-16-2017, 05:09 AM

Sounds like there are a lot of us newbies to this swap. I am, too. And am excited to share with everyone.

I've gone so far as to tell my quilting buddy she has to mail out the rest to everyone should something happen. She laughed! What can I say...I'm a preplanner.

For those of you having been here swapping before, do you have a favorite item you've made out of your gifts?
    Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by redstilettos
    For those of you having been here swapping before, do you have a favorite item you've made out of your gifts?
    I'm just going to be lurking this year, and a little bit sad about that... but after three years I have GOT to use up a bunch of candy before I can collect more!

I have some favorites... Here are four quilts I have made out of these candies. First is the Arkansas Crossroads, an easy quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568432[/ATTACH]
    I did this one by 'color families', but it looks great totally scrappy too.

Scrappy Swoon Quilt, one of my favorite smaller quilts.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]568433[/ATTACH]

And here is a 9 Patch and Snowball done as a scrappy baby quilt.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]568434[/ATTACH]

Baby quilt that came out looking like a Square in a Square, because of the batting and quilting:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]568436[/ATTACH]

I also enjoyed making the scrappy candy tote bag and will more of those for gifts.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]568435[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 003-4-small-.jpg   dsc01907-small-.jpg   dsc02346-small-.jpg   dsc03359-small-.jpg   dsc02474-small-.jpg  

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 02-16-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Old 02-16-2017, 04:20 PM

sewbiz - love your projects. At least I will get to keep up with you on the boom site!
    Old 02-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Thank you, and Barb, too, for the information.

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    Pinkflowers, you can send you packages as you wish. I have received cards, little shaped notes, little note cards and on and on. It is really your choice. As mentioned by Barb, the more you put in the envelope the more it may cost in postage. Last, year there was quite a conversation about the cost and most ended mailing for just under a dollar. Many swappers carefully lay out their 50 little squares so they fit in a standard sized envelope or a card, if you choose. Some folks send tips or little, emphasis on little, birthday surprises, but those are not required. Watch here for more ideas on mailing. I am sure that others will chime in with tips and ideas on mailing and keeping the swap fun.
    Old 02-16-2017, 05:32 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by travelinggramma
    sewbiz - love your projects. At least I will get to keep up with you on the boom site!
    I'll visit you here, too!
    Old 02-16-2017, 09:16 PM

Oh, I am feeling sassy. My favorite thing to make out of my little cuts is ...... a quilt. I see someone posted a favoirte pattern of mine. There are so many go patterns that use 2.5 squares! Folks will keep posting their work and you will have more ideas than you have squares.
    Old 02-17-2017, 06:24 AM

Love all the projects Sewbizgirl! So happy to see the sweet candy squares being used. I am always looking for more things to make with our squares. I think if you keep making more projects you are going to have to rejoin us next year.
    Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 AM

Hello ladies......
    Almost time to get our swap started.

On February 20th I will send you the name and address of the person who is our March baby. I usually send mine out pretty close to that date, mostly so I don't forget and wait too long.

The job of the birthday girl is to ....thank people on this post (so they know it arrived) and then to send them feedback. Everyone wants to collect good feedback! Please talk to me before posting anything but good feedback for a person.

I will keep track as well to make sure everyone has sent in their package on time. I can not stress enough how important it is to be ON TIME!

Birthday girl feel free to post pictures if you want. It is fun to see the loot!

Also good news....we will have a Block of the Month BOM this year. I am very excited to do this project. It is so cute. You do not have to do the BOM completely up to you. I plan on emailing the directions each month hopefully around the first. Details to come.......

Barb
    Old 02-17-2017, 09:30 AM

I am so excited about the monthly BOM and the start of the birthday names. I am ready to go, hope you all are ready too! This swap is the best ever.