Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up >
  • Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

• Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Old 02-19-2017, 05:15 PM

My Method: Select 55 fabrics, iron, color code, cut strips, stack 6 strips using mat marks, rotary cut, stack to number of swappers, save one set for me.

Thickness isn't important to me either. I prefer to use snack bags with two 25+ count stacks side by side, insert my loose ID label, & squish out the air which keeps charms flat to reduce wrinkling. I pack the baggie & a personalized bd card into a small brown envelop & mail for $2.30. Others send the bd card with wrapped charms inside to save postage, either way is good as long as it is mailed in time to get there before their BD!

I do not like to see what is being sent until it arrives here. I do not post what I sent or a close-up pic of what I received. Let it be a surprise! That's just me, others don't care. Your choice.

I don't enjoy discarding cute charms that come unraveled when trying to remove them from airtight wrapping with stickiness, too. Some charms stick to the front & back so I lose two cuties, so wasteful!
    Just sayin'!
    hugs,
    dj
    Old 02-19-2017, 08:20 PM

Thank you, everyone for the warning about press n seal. Fortunately, I never got around to trying it. I did have a busy day with my BH En Provence mystery quilt, and that was fun!

Originally Posted by jaba
    The press and seal does damage some of the squares if the fabric is prone to raveling. Not my favorite to receive and try to get unwrapped. Just my opinion ladies. Looking forward to swapping for the 3rd year, always fun and so many different fabrics. I've hardly ever received duplicates
    Old 02-19-2017, 09:09 PM
    Power Poster

For the record, I have hated getting the squares out of the plastic wrap too. I don't see the point. They aren't going anywhere! In my 3 years in this swap I found the simplest and flattest way to send candies is to buy cards big enough to fit the "footprint" of 6 little stacks of 8 candies each. Then I lay the additional 2 on top of those 6 stacks (as many people do). When I close the card and seal the envelope, it's thin enough to go through the 1/4" slit. Actually, if you pack up your cards early (leave those candies stored in their cards!) they actually reduce in thickness by the time you mail them, because the fabrics settle in to one another and become flatter.

I have enjoyed seeing pictures of everyone's candy and cards and things they make with them. I think pictures make the thread so much more fun and interesting than just so many words. Lots of birthday girls cut up their scraps all year and save them, so you aren't necessarily going to get exactly what someone else got. And will you really remember all the candies you saw in a few photos? That's my slant on it. DJ's is totally different. And that's ok. But Barb does ask for photos, if you are so inclined.

I vote for MORE PHOTOS! I'm going to be lurking so don't disappoint me....
    Old 02-20-2017, 04:59 AM

I just bought 35 very large birthday cards at the $ Store to use to send my candy's in. I figure $35+ postage is a small price to pay for all the candy's I will be getting.

http://cyberohashi.com/quiltpics/pag...lts%20003.htms a small price to pay for all the candy's
    Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 AM

aborning: I couldn't get your link to work?

I was going to put in ziplocks. Glad I didn't do the press/seal like I had originally thought to do.

Sometimes it's nice being the newbie and learning from all the past experiences!
    Old 02-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Restilettos, I do not use saran wrap or press/seal on mine. I do mine exacty like sewbizgirl does it--how she explained it above.
    Old 02-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Just a personal viewpoint -- I had several envelopes that were torn by the postal machines when I received them, and one was close to losing it's contents. That is one reason why I will wrap the squares and make them skinny and flat. Less opportunity for the PO to gum up my mailings!
    Old 02-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Has anyone tried wrapping the birthday card after placing the charms inside?
    Old 02-20-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by MizMelly
    Just a personal viewpoint -- I had several envelopes that were torn by the postal machines when I received them, and one was close to losing it's contents. That is one reason why I will wrap the squares and make them skinny and flat. Less opportunity for the PO to gum up my mailings!
    I also had several this past September come with torn envelopes. It convinced me of the need to wrapping, press/seal or little zip lock my wee little birthday treats.

It seems to be the overwhelming vote to not use press and seal. Good thing I have wrapped mine yet.....the press and seal box was ready!

Question how to you get the 50 little bits to be so flat in the ziplock snack bags? Mine always seem to "fat".
    Old 02-20-2017, 05:39 PM

For those of you that had torn envelopes, how were the candies wrapped and put in envelope?