Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up >
  • Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

• Birthday swap 2017/2018....... Sign Up

Old 04-17-2017, 09:06 AM

I received cards and candies from redstilettos and happylab this last Saturday. Sorry I couldn't get online long enough to thank you.
    I group my candies by color.I put really light combinations in a separate pile and the ones that I can't decide what color family they belong to I put in another pile.
    I said at the beginning of this swap that I would wait till my birthday to open my charms. Well, I'm going to open now.
    I will post a photo when done.
    Hugs to you,Barb
    Old 04-17-2017, 01:12 PM

The blocks finish at 12". The center square with the birdie is 8.5" unfinished, then a row of 2.5" charms (20 in all) around the outside.

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    Did I miss what size the birdie block should finish as? I assume there will be more, and i want them to fit together.....Thanks
    Old 04-17-2017, 05:54 PM

Most of my memories are now stitched into my quilts as I use her books, fabric and tools. I only wish I had watched her more closely and learn. I did get her stash, books and tools. What a blessing. I have had the opportunity to be her hands and make quilts for all of her grandchildren as well as nieces and nephews. A new grandson due the end of July. All good memories. Time is such a kindness.
    Old 04-18-2017, 05:18 AM

I have sorted by color and stored in little baggies to use in that way. Last year I just dumped them all in to a beautiful bag and will use them randomly this year. I have had particular patterns in mind when I sorted. But honestly I like the look of the random scrappy just as well. With that said, from time to time one particular set of 50 will just grab my heart and I will keep them together for a special project. Maybe two or three per year. Just my way of using up these little gems of fabric.

Happy sorting, Red!...................or not!
    Old 04-18-2017, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    Happy sorting, Red!...................or not!
    This is a challenge! I mean....serious challenge for me! I am trying to only do a few at a time, because the pile is incredible. But I am not complaining.....what a nice "problem" to have, right!?

I love scrappies, but like them controlled, so for me, I think I still need to break these down at least on the first pass by color and then go from there.

So far it's been fun to see which color grouping is growing the fastest. It changes daily, but there are two that are pulling ahead from the group.

So...once these are gone through....what do you ladies store them in? Baggies? Boxes? Tupperware? I'd like to keep them laying flat so I don't have to iron so much.

For all you waiting patiently for your birthdays.....I am SO excited for you. This has been a ball!
    Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 AM

I like the IKEA TJENA boxes with compartments. The closest IKEA is more than 100 miles away so I order online.

The only sorting I do at first is to pull out the ones that I want for a particular project.

Originally Posted by redstilettos

So...once these are gone through....what do you ladies store them in? Baggies? Boxes? Tupperware? I'd like to keep them laying flat so I don't have to iron so much.
    Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 AM

Got my candy from Happylab yesterday - Thank you

Right now I have all my candies in a plastic shoe box container. I have not pre-sorted them yet.
    Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 AM

I got my candies from Happy Lab today. Thank you.
    Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM

I have just finished leaving everyone feedback....if you do not see anything from me, can you please contact me and I will get that in? I "think" I had everyone listed

On a side note: I've learned not to go on vacation the week before your birthday on a swap like this. Doing it again, I'd do the feedback as I got them. Took a bit to get everyone in there!!

All your birthday cards were displayed for Easter and it was heart-warming to see them sitting there knowing everyone took the time to mail it in. So...thank you. It was very nice to have this year

Hugs
    Chris
    Old 04-19-2017, 01:28 PM

Thank you for the feedback, redstilettos. Glad you enjoyed all your candies and cards. How nice to have all that for Easter!