Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New >
  • Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New

• Birthday Swap 2018/2019 New

Old 05-19-2018, 07:32 PM
    Power Poster

I probably bought that little guy at JoAnn’s. It’s the handiest thing!
    Old 05-19-2018, 08:11 PM

The first picture is a great example of what I am talking about for your colors.

Sewbizgirl ....this is exactly what darks/and mediums mean. In fact I decided my 30's fabric was not really dark enough for the pattern so I decided to save what I started for another project.

Sewbizgirl....would you like directions for a large size quilt? measures 94" x 102" ? I know since you have spent many years with us in the birthday swap that you have MANY candy squares.

Does everyone know what "Chain piecing" is? This method will make ALL your quilting go faster and smoother but especially for 2 1/2" squares.
    Chain piecing is when you sew set of square after square without cutting the sets apart in between, so you will have a long chain. So in this case you can "chain" 120 sets of 2. then you can cut them apart (or leave it together) and sew on the third square to the row. Let me know if anyone needs a photo.

I know we have all levels of quilters in our group and I did not know how to do this until I went to a quilt group one day and someone showed me....thank you nice person!!!! a real time saver!

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    I got excited to start the mystery quilt, and made 70 threesies in no time today. Even faster because we don't yet have to press seams. Hope these are what Barb meant by "darks/meds".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594647[/ATTACH]

These are the cool boxes I use to store my candies. They are perfect for them. Bought them at Ikea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594648[/ATTACH]
    Old 05-20-2018, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by givio
    What a great batch of medium/dark candies! Well done, just what the doctor ordered. What's that? A tiny 2 1/2" ruler? That would be handy for cutting odd sized scraps! What brand is it? Where did you get it? I use my 4 1/2" x 14" ruler for just about everything, and sometimes it doesn't seem handy for little scraps.
    I was gifted a 2.5 X 6.5 ruler and it is in use nearly every day. Love it to pieces, to the moon and back and... well you get the idea. I have a 2.5 x.2.5 but I have lost track of it. Or the elves have taken it away and hidden it in some unexpected corner.
    Old 05-20-2018, 03:22 AM

Sewbiz, I love those boxes. just what I need to sort by color and light, Med. to Dark.
    Old 05-20-2018, 05:42 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    I was gifted a 2.5 X 6.5 ruler and it is in use nearly every day. Love it to pieces, to the moon and back and... well you get the idea. I have a 2.5 x.2.5 but I have lost track of it. Or the elves have taken it away and hidden it in some unexpected corner.
    I have a couple of those 2.5 x 6.5 rulers too. They are so useful! The smaller ruler is really easy to lose if you don't remember to put it back in it's 'place'!

Barb, thanks, but I don't really have need of such a large quilt. So I will just make the regular size along with everyone else. Tho I do have the candies for it! I cut my scraps into strips and squares as I accumulate them. The smallest size I make is 2.5" square, so I'm always adding to my candy stash.
    Old 05-20-2018, 05:53 AM

The mystery quilt sounds fun, but I am going to just follow for now. I have no candies as of yet and I am currently working on a mystery quilt through my local quilt guild. Looking forward to all you ladies posts!
    Old 05-21-2018, 05:52 AM

I finished a swap yesterday and started another one. This one is a 9-patch hosted by sewbizgirl. Then I finished up the afternoon measuring some candy to make sure they are the right size for our mystery swap. I was so surprised, it was so calming!

I also have two of the 2.5" by 6 inch rulers.I got the rulers at Missouri Star quilt Company. I also have a 2.5" square and that is what I am using to measure my squares.
    Everyone have a happy day!
    Old 05-21-2018, 07:09 AM

It has been a month since we were given the May Birthday Names and Addresses. It is really disheartening to see missing cards. Hopefully everyone will be kind to the June Babes!

Have been very busy trying to finish up a quilt for my BIL. The borders are doing me in. I have the binding half done on another quilt. I can't do a lot of hand stitching at one time. And then there is the 9P swap, and the boomswap.
    Deep Breath - now what was I doing??

Enjoy every moment today
    Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Should be getting the June addresses soon. Time is flying right now! Where did May go?!? 3 of my younguns just graduated from community college, I'm through real estate school and studying for the big test. And we are still needing to get the last few things unpacked from our recent move. Lots of changes around here...I feel like I am trying to squeeze in as much time sewing as I can before I start work. I know many women work, have families, and still have time to get everything done and have time to quilt; but it will be a big adjustment for me after having been the stay home person for the last 27 years...I recently told the guild I just joined (another first for me) that I'm retiring from being the stay home mom and going back to work!
    Old 05-21-2018, 09:48 AM

I sewed my 120 groups of 3's over the weekend - that was fun! I had to make sure that was done before I leave for my trip for DC for the week to visit my daughter and her husband. Last saw them on Thanksgiving (2017) when they drove up. So looking forward to seeing them again! Just me going this time. Leaving DH home.

Silly husband of mine -- he saw me kitting up an EPP project to take along, and he says, "You really think you'll have time to sew?" Well, of course - there's always time for a few stitches here and there! Sewing everyday keeps me a bit less crazy!!