Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 13 "FOUR LEAF CLOVER" 4 Month Group >
  • Boom 13 "FOUR LEAF CLOVER" 4 Month Group

• Boom 13 "FOUR LEAF CLOVER" 4 Month Group

Old 11-11-2014, 09:00 PM

Moonrise, hi there. This is more info than you requested but here's the scoop: I imagine sign-ups will take about 3 weeks. I'm not inclined to go any longer as it makes the wait too long for those who sign-up right away. If I post on 11/15, I'd probably close sign-ups about 12/6 or when we meet our goal of enough people. If everyone could have their fabric to me by the last week in December, I could ship to members on 1/2/15. This timeline will vary according to response but I'd say that's a fair timeframe approximation.

hi Jaba, I'm so pleased you are happy with the blocks you rec'd. Thank you for posting! The reason I originally asked the question of the group was that many f8s were coming to me with no pre-washing. I assumed it was April's rule, just not enforced. In checking, I found it is the QB that has that requirement. I know the majority of people would prefer no prewashing, but that's the QB's requirement for all block swaps and you agree to when you sign-up. Everyone can review the rules posted for member swaps. I know this point isn't pushed in some swaps, but when I'm asked if all fabric should be pre-washed, my answer has to be yes. (What I have done in the past for myself, as I do not prewash except for these swaps, is to cut pieces somewhat larger than I anticipate needing, and then hand wash it and press it dry. That takes care of shrinkage and really doesn't use up that much time.)

And as long as we're on the subject of rules, it will be a REQUIREMENT, no longer a request, to check in with the group with status updates. No more sending F8s to someone and having them disappear for 4 months! It's nerve-wracking for me and leaves fellow swappers wondering what's happening.

If anyone has any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm gong to be home most of tomorrow waiting for the plumber. I will be able to check the thread while I work on my swap blocks - the only upside to a significant water leak that is bound to cost a pretty penny tomorrow. Bummer.
    Old 11-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Maybe we could find out if there's any interest in doing a boom of unwashed fabric.
    Old 11-12-2014, 03:44 PM

Got my fabric washed, and will iron and cut this weekend to be ready!! Just ordered a new Sew Easy Ruler/cutter and will try it out!!
    Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 PM

I inadvertently opened up this can of worms regarding pre-washing when I asked what people thought about it some months back. I'd forgotten it was a requirement of the QB. Please read the following, taken directly from Rules for Swaps and Similar Activities - Updated 8 December 2010:

5. When an activity includes swapping fabrics, they should be washed, dried and ironed and cut as precisely as your skills allow. Organizers should not require they be starched or otherwise treated unless it's essential to success in the type of project involved. Those of us who don't normally prewash should make exceptions when joining in group activities. It's a courtesy to others who may have allergies or other health needs requiring smoke and animal free environments/supplies.

Since this is so clearly spelled out, I'm not inclined to attempt to change it. When you sign up, you agree to the rules. Of course, most of the time only you will know whether or not you've complied but when you ask me if you must pre-wash, my only answer can be "yes".

You can see all the swap rules here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/rules-swaps-similar-activities-updated-8-december-2010-a-t20154.html

Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 PM

I bought a little extra fabric this time so when I wash it and there is shrinkage I will be covered but some are fat quarters and hope they don't shrink. My visit to Mom's is going on longer then planned. It's either snowing here or on the route home. Hubby said Friday looks like the best day to make a run for it. Fun to visit but always nice to go home
    Old 11-12-2014, 05:48 PM

TG, excellent! We love our tools and gadgets, don't we? I hope to post the swap this weekend.
    Originally Posted by travelinggramma
    Got my fabric washed, and will iron and cut this weekend to be ready!! Just ordered a new Sew Easy Ruler/cutter and will try it out!!
    Old 11-12-2014, 05:50 PM

Be safe in your travels, Terriamn!
    Originally Posted by terriamn
    I bought a little extra fabric this time so when I wash it and there is shrinkage I will be covered but some are fat quarters and hope they don't shrink. My visit to Mom's is going on longer then planned. It's either snowing here or on the route home. Hubby said Friday looks like the best day to make a run for it. Fun to visit but always nice to go home
    Old 11-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Sunrise, that is so pretty, the black with all those batiks I love it.

Travelinggranma, have you put yours together yet? I was so intrigued with your plan for a wedding quilt I'm really interested in seeing it.

I have my fabric picked out just need to get it washed and ready to cut up. Now to get two projects finished before this gets started........I'm getting a little crazy with all my started projects and nothing is getting finished right now.
    Old 11-12-2014, 06:44 PM

I understand Janice, thank you for the explanation. I'm like some of you also, have lots of blocks in my sewing room that really need to be put together into something and have about 8 quilts that need to be quilted and finished. Someway those go out the window when I decide I need a new runner for the season, a house warming gift, or a mini wall hanging or mug rugs...someday I hope to catch up. Good thing is, I always have something to do. Right now that's good ladies, very cold here, snow and it's 7:44 pm. and -3. Suppose to get -16 tonight...just like last night.
    Old 11-12-2014, 07:58 PM

Jeez, Jaba. Here in NC, we're expecting the lower 20s for this week when the front fully gets in here. The wind has started blowing pretty good tonight. We had a high of 77 today and tomorrow is only going to be 40. Talk about shock! I will not complain after seeing what your lows are though. Stay warm and have lots of hot chocolate and/or coffee. Sounds like chicken & dumpling weather to me! Absolutely, an extra quilt or two.
    Finished up all the jelly and delivered it today. Whew- talk about relief!! I can begin on my blocks tomorrow.

One question, Jane- I have a piece with a black background/ medium white daisies with green stems and leaves. Will this be acceptable, or should we stick to lighter backgrounds? I also have a piece with a brown background/multi floral. If we're doing lighter background only, I'm still okay, I have plenty. I just want to be sure I do the right thing before I start cutting tomorrow.