Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 14 - Sign-Ups Open Thru 12/6 (or sooner if spaces fill early) >
  • Boom 14 - Sign-Ups Open Thru 12/6 (or sooner if spaces fill early)

• Boom 14 - Sign-Ups Open Thru 12/6 (or sooner if spaces fill early)

Old 11-17-2014, 03:30 PM

Hi Billi is my actual name too I was named after my mother. My husbands name is Bill and he was named after his father he's an actual jr. We have been married 27 years and I've been telling him the whole time the only reason why I agreed to a second date is because I could remember his name.

My avatar is me with our 2 daughters, 21 and 24 while on vacation last January. They are the joys of my life and will both graduate this may the youngest with her BA in criminal justice and the oldest her masters in psychology. Yay January will be my last tuition payment.

Im a navy brat that came late in my parents life the youngest of 4 when dad retired we settled in San Diego county and I have lived somewhere in the county every since. Mom was a professional seamstress that owned her own business making custom drapery, bed spreads and slip covers. We all grew up sewing and helping her with the business. Later after she sold her business and till my kids were pretty young mom my sister and I made many quilts together. Some we took classes for others we we just drew it up and worked it out on our own. Probably not the easiest possible way but we had fun.

For a number of reasosn about 18 years ago I put all fabric, toys and tools away. Early 2013 I pulled it all out and started making quilts again. I currently have finished and given 3 quilts away. I have 7 that I had quilted waiting for binding, 1 with blocks made just need to put it together (I got bored with it) a pig blanket I am working on, 2 sets of blocks from boom 13 a Christmas block swap, a Halloween block swap and oh god and, and, and, and and, I can go on forever I love putting them together I have them quilted (that's beyond me) and I hate binding.

I like doing the booms and block swaps it keeps me trying harder to be better and more accurate, and it has made me expand my comfort zone in colors and design.
    Old 11-17-2014, 04:33 PM

I live in Minneapolis Minnesota and have lived in my home for 42 years. It's just me, dh and our dog, most of you know I had to put my 17 year old kitty down several weeks ago. I have 4 adult children, oldest dd lives in Texas, second dd lives in Wisconsin, third dd lives 20 minutes from me and my son lives in Las Vegas. They are scattered but have a fit that we are thinking of selling, go figure. We have been blessed with 5 grandkids, two older and 3 younger one. Abby is 11 and my kindred spirit. She has a rare neurological disease and one of the symptoms is seizures. Thank God for modern medicine, she has been seizure free for a year and a half and she is with us quite a bit of the time My great aunts taught my sis and I to sew and enjoy differnt crafts. I have been quilting for 19 years when I have had time. November 3 I retired ( technically laid off) now I will have lots of time to sew and maybe even finish some of them
    Old 11-17-2014, 05:34 PM

I'm in again, for both groups.

I'm Lisa, 46 years old, and I live in Ringgold, GA with my husband of 26 years. We were high school sweethearts, and have been together since I was 13 years old. (Well, we weren't allowed to actually date until I was 16! LOL!) We don't have kids, but we do have 5 cats who are like our children. We didn't plan on getting a 5th cat, but a newborn kitten turned up literally beside our doorstep, abandoned by her mom. She still had her umbilical cord, and was only slightly bigger than a roll of quarters. Aww! I bottlefed her, and now she's about 4 months old. I've been into arts and crafts ever since I could pick up a crayon. My great-grandmother and grandmother taught me how to sew and quilt. When I first started learning, I was too little to reach the sewing machine's foot pedal, so one of them pressed the pedal for me (and supervised) while I sewed. My great-grandmother had a quilting rack hanging from her living room ceiling, and I was always amazed when she would lower it down and start hand-quilting a quilt. I would help her sometimes, although I suspect my "helping" was more of a hindrance at first. he he

My husband and I are building a teardrop camper, and naturally , we need a quilt so we can stay warm when we go camping in the winter. I've chosen two batiks ... one in browns and one in greens. The green is a little richer than my photo shows. Both have a leafy design. I'll send half of you the brown fabric, and half of you the green fabric. If you get brown, please add a green batik. If you get green, please add a brown batik. If you need a third/alternative color, a tan batik or black batik would be okay. I'm thinking earthy/forest colors, so please don't add anything really bright. Hope that makes sense. I'll probably use a cream batik for the sashing. If you have any questions, just holler. (Edited to add: I'll put all of this on a note that'll accompany the F8.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]499285[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails boom14-brownbatik-horz.jpg  

Last edited by moonrise; 11-17-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    Old 11-17-2014, 05:46 PM

Wonderful ladies! Thank you for participating and for sharing about yourselves and your lives. I know I learned quite a bit! I hope anyone else who joins up will share too. (Quiz to follow. Just kidding!)
    Old 11-17-2014, 05:48 PM

What fun reading about everyone!

Buzzy Bee Beatty here..... I was the 5th of five generations of women living when I was born in 1949 in Wheelersburg, southern Ohio. The women in the family starting with Great, Great Grandma Murray did the farming, gardening, sewing - and whatever else was needed to keep the land and the family tended to while the men taught school and went to war. My Great Grandmother taught me to mend socks and hand-sew at the age of 8 years. She was a great teacher of life and life skills.

All my clothes were hand-made of which my favorite was a red plaid flannel broom-stick skirt and white cotton blouse. I still remember receiving it from my grandmother for Christmas....I thought I was the cat's meow! As the oldest in my family of 5 siblings, I followed the family tradition of doing the cooking, sewing, cleaning and served as second in line on wash day.....the old Maytag, turning the ringer and putting the "bluing" powder in the rinse water to freshen up the overalls. I loved the life on the farm...there was always something fun to do.....especially driving into town once a month to by cloth for the next project! My joy still to this day....no one ever has enough fabric.

In 1963, my family moved from Ohio to Miami due to a job transfer to Eastern Airlines and I decided to get an education and get out into the workplace. I retired from a 46-year career in management on December 31, 2013 of which the last 18 years I spent working for a company in East Tennessee. My husband retired from manufacturing - plant management - 10 years ago. Together we have 7 children, 8 grandchildren, 3 grand dogs and our dear sweetie-girl, Holly our golden retriever. We have just moved our residence to allow us to take-in my mother who is 84 and struggling with dementia.

Words cannot describe how much I love quilting....it is my refuge...my therapy and my utter joy! I choose fabrics that remind me of my life . My husband said my QB name should have been "Buzz Saw"....thus the nickname Buzzy Bee took flight - thanks to our great leader Participating in the Booms has not only given me the tools to continually improve my quilting skills - it has reminded me that the unforgettable hours I spent with my "Greats and Grands" talking about life, sharing thoughts and feelings, laughing and boo-hooing together - was truly a gift that keeps on giving!

And that AZKat.... I should have known she was a "Buckeye"!

Buzzy's Booming Again!
    Old 11-17-2014, 05:49 PM

Moonrise, we are the same age.
    Old 11-17-2014, 05:52 PM

Tonight I just finished sewing the last seam in my carpenters wheel squares, all 12 for an underground rail road swap I am participating in. I'm so glad they are done!!!!! Now I can concentrate on a quilted curtain I've been working on for my dining area, it is a 3D globe.
    Old 11-17-2014, 06:54 PM

Bee,

Tri-state area just over the border from PA and WV. Little town called Rogers, Ohio . . . famous for their weekly flea market and hay sale.

AND, just so you know, I found my Christmas UFO and dusted her off.

KAT
    Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM

K, do you have pix of your squares? I'd like to see them.
    Originally Posted by Kassaundra
    Tonight I just finished sewing the last seam in my carpenters wheel squares, all 12 for an underground rail road swap I am participating in. I'm so glad they are done!!!!! Now I can concentrate on a quilted curtain I've been working on for my dining area, it is a 3D globe.
    Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 PM

We're moving along nicely!

2 month group

1. Billi
    2. TravelingGramma
    3. BeeBeatty
    4. Libster
    5. Terriam
    6. Seasaw2mch
    7. Joanelizbay
    8. ArizonaKAT
    9. Moonrise