Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 16 - Group Therapy - 3 month group >
  • Boom 16 - Group Therapy - 3 month group

• Boom 16 - Group Therapy - 3 month group

Old 03-10-2016, 07:12 PM

I tried a difficult for me block last time for Joan, the block did not like me and I had a terrible time with it. Finally finished it and posted a picture and lo and behold one section was still going the wrong way. In my book I wrote never next to the block. Live and learn

Last edited by terriamn; 03-10-2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 PM

The first boom I played in I did a drunkards path for Billi w/ her red and white fabric. Since it was my first time w/ drunkards path and I was using my own made template I made a block out of my fabric first and it was PERFECT, I was sooo impressed, but when I did the exact same thing w/ Billi's fabric everything was wrong and I had to redo and then finally got the whole thing together and it was 1 inch to small!!!!! and had used nearly all of her fabric, I had just enough to add some thin strips, but adding a strip around the edges would look off, so I ended up taking it apart one more time and adding the strips in the middle seams and alls well that ends well, but I haven't done any other drunkards path for the swap!!!! lol
    Old 03-11-2016, 04:54 AM

Oh my Kass - I so relate! I have a problem following instructions. It's like cooking - I rarely follow the recipe. I may use it but will always modify. I can measure, measure and cut and scant 1/4" and it will not turn out. I have screwed up simple nine patches! But the "fun" is making the oops into something really fun and interesting.
    I think this is how all the block patterns came to be!
    Old 03-11-2016, 06:08 AM

Wow, moonrise, great pix. TFS. I knew the place was large but good grief. I do want to get up there. As my old boss would say, it's just up the road apiece. And that quilt for $600. Wow.
    Originally Posted by moonrise
    I just realized I didn't post the pics I took at Hancocks of Paducah store. Duh. Here they are. This is just ONE of the rooms. With all the hanging quilts, it's hard to tell how HUGE the main area is. They also have a separate room where they have precuts and kits, and also a gigantic remnant table that you can kind of see in the second picture. I only glanced at the remnant table. If I'd started sorting through it, I would've literally been there ALL DAY, and probably all night, too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544471[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544472[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544473[/ATTACH]

They also had handmade quilts for sale at the Homeplace at Land Between The Lakes. They're all made by the same person, so I'm assuming it's someone local to the area. I took tons of pictures of them, but I don't want to bog the thread down, so here is my favorite. It's a KING sized double wedding ring quilt, and the rings are only about 6" or 6-1/2" ... very, very intricate. Can you believe she's only asking $600 for it?!?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]544474[/ATTACH]
    Old 03-11-2016, 06:15 AM

It's true and that's why we love having Kass here. She doesn't even know the box exists! Me, I'm firmly in the box. With the lid on. Tied with string so I cannot get out...
    Originally Posted by Billi
    You will be fine remember it's not a compition. We all just do the best we can with the skills we have and everybody is happy. Kass is just the most out of the box swapped we have. I thought I was out of the box Kass is usually not in the same room as the box Hahaha. And we all like that it helps to create a unique and interesting sampler quilt.
    Old 03-11-2016, 06:27 AM

Me, ha I poke the box! Yeah I pretty much do traditional blocks and use the same pattern for everyone in a boom because it's one that I have fell in love with and want to share the love - but some fabric (or requests) just scream for something else.

I forget how exciting Hancocks can be to so many. I'm jaded to it since I only live a few minutes away from them.

Just think ... in a week we should all have squishies in our hands.
    Old 03-11-2016, 11:45 AM

Let's just face it, Moonwork, this swap is fairly brimming with rebels.
    Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    Me, ha I poke the box!
    Old 03-11-2016, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC
    Let's just face it, Moonwork, this swap is fairly brimming with rebels.

That's kinda comforting to know. Maybe I won't feel out of place!
    Old 03-11-2016, 03:34 PM

Guess I'm more tradition when it comes to these blocks. I have and will try new patterns or make my own but I always use my fabric first to make sure it works. I have never done a new block with someone else's fabric before I have already sewn it with my own fabric first. I only get so much fabric and am just not comfortable without making sure it's right.
    Old 03-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Oh my god moon that place is HUGE!!!!!!! I think I could get lost for days there I love every minute of it.

Janice " I'm firmly in the box. With the lid on. Tied with string so I cannot get out... thats too funny you crack me up

My current favorite traditional block is dresden plate I may be making a few of those this round I do like doing appliqué I can always get an exact block. but I also have some neat ideas for more modern blocks especially for Anna's fabric.