Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 16 - Group Therapy - 3 month group >
  • Boom 16 - Group Therapy - 3 month group

• Boom 16 - Group Therapy - 3 month group

Old 03-28-2016, 02:50 AM

I admit that boomers are great. I have used you (yes used) for socialization. And I have even blessed to have met some wonderful members along the way. We all have our issues, and we all find a way to work around them so we can quilt. It is so fun to see what everyone can make - and then remake it because it was not large enough. We laugh together and cry together- and become close.
    Yep - I am hooked with our group and our therapy leader! Janice - you now can put social worker on your resume!
    Old 03-28-2016, 03:58 AM

That's it, GramE, now I know who I want to be like when I grow up into a real quilter! Oh, my gosh, this block! And this isn't even completely done? Between you and Kassaundra, I'm speechless.
    Originally Posted by GramE
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]546198[/ATTACH]
    Well, it is not sewn on yet, but I've got another houseful of grands to visit & didn't want to hold you in suspense. Hope it works well.
    Old 03-28-2016, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC
    That's it, GramE, now I know who I want to be like when I grow up into a real quilter! Oh, my gosh, this block! And this isn't even completely done? Between you and Kassaundra, I'm speechless.
    I'm not good with big patterned busy fabric, because I can't get all the pieces to look alike. But seeing that you all are not intimidated by "busy" at all has given me a bit of courage. Honestly, I was hoping it wouldn't be too different. I might have to print me off another Inklingo today and I know exactly who it will be.
    Old 03-28-2016, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by travelinggramma
    I admit that boomers are great. I have used you (yes used) for socialization. And I have even blessed to have met some wonderful members along the way. We all have our issues, and we all find a way to work around them so we can quilt. It is so fun to see what everyone can make - and then remake it because it was not large enough. We laugh together and cry together- and become close.
    Yep - I am hooked with our group and our therapy leader! Janice - you now can put social worker on your resume!
    True words, we all find a way to work around our issues so we can sew!

Travelinggramma, that was gonna be my theme for retirement, I was even gonna learn to play golf (my DH hates golf) because after 25 years as a mailman I was gonna need some exercise that didn't seem like exercise. We were gonna bird watch & cloud watch...... Then we made a severe right turn. But for someone who was gonna do all that running around, I was buying fabric for something! Now I'm limited to 1,000-1,500 steps a day. And I am grateful for them.

God has been so good, ordering the steps I have taken the last 6 yrs. we are 1/2 mile from 2 grandsons, 5 miles from 5 more, and they all are willing to come & entertain me! But as I have been learning to hand sew, I'm pretty content with my small circle of life. I have a big backyard where the birds come visit me. Ok, golf is outta the picture, much to DH relief!

Off to start my day, so I can get to the important stuff, QUILTING!
    Old 03-28-2016, 05:29 AM

Wow GramE...You are one fantastic woman!! To take a "roadblock" and make it into something as wonderful as you make is remarkable...Ive always been crafty, making things since I was a little girl..My grandmother was my inspiration...she was confined to her house but always had her big wooden quilt rack set up in her dining room and would sew every day by hand. Back then she didn't really have a "store" to go shopping in but I would run to Mattinglys or Ben Franklins if she needed thread or anything. I hope that if I EVER get to the point where I cant get out of the house that someone will go to the store for me, although I "might" have enough fabric to last me forever! LOL. I wish my sister would get a hobby of anykind. She is a widow, 68 had ceberal palsey when a child but still can function with her left hand and partically her right but she wont get a computer, wont sew, wont paint, nothing... she takes a walk twice a day, goes to church on Sundays when she can drive but other than that nothing.....Id be crazy...
    You inspire me for sure! SO glad you found our little boom group to join..I love just reading the crazy chatter back and forth and knowing if I need quilting help all I have to do is ask...This is about the 10th boom Ive been in..NOT because I need the blocks but because I love these ladies!! They are "friends" and make me laugh or cry...
    Old 03-28-2016, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay
    Wow GramE...You are one fantastic woman!! To take a "roadblock" and make it into something as wonderful as you make is remarkable...Ive always been crafty, making things since I was a little girl..My grandmother was my inspiration...she was confined to her house but always had her big wooden quilt rack set up in her dining room and would sew every day by hand. Back then she didn't really have a "store" to go shopping in but I would run to Mattinglys or Ben Franklins if she needed thread or anything. I hope that if I EVER get to the point where I cant get out of the house that someone will go to the store for me, although I "might" have enough fabric to last me forever! LOL. I wish my sister would get a hobby of anykind. She is a widow, 68 had ceberal palsey when a child but still can function with her left hand and partically her right but she wont get a computer, wont sew, wont paint, nothing... she takes a walk twice a day, goes to church on Sundays when she can drive but other than that nothing.....Id be crazy...
    You inspire me for sure! SO glad you found our little boom group to join..I love just reading the crazy chatter back and forth and knowing if I need quilting help all I have to do is ask...This is about the 10th boom Ive been in..NOT because I need the blocks but because I love these ladies!! They are "friends" and make me laugh or cry...
    Dear Joanelizbay, boy did you stir up some memories. Such beautiful remembrances from time spent with your grandmother. My daughter went to kindergarten & at least 1st and 2nd grade wearing Ben Franklin flat folds! She loved school shopping because it meant picking out fabric. It was such a sad day when the last Ben Franklin closed about 20 miles from here.

I am in a couple of support groups who have women with nothing to do. I wish I was closer to many of them so I could show them how easy it is. I try to encourage them, but it is difficult when every response is nope or I can't. And I connect with 12 grands, 4 sisters in far away states via computer, so I'm grateful my husband thought he could distract me with an iPad. Could he ever.

Have a a blessed day. And if you would send me the whirligig fiasco, I'd give it a go at it.
    Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 AM

Here's my two so far today. First one is for NanaKathy- "Positively-Negatively Star". Hope you like it.
    Second one is for Joanelizbay- "Moonlight Star". I love your fabric. BTW- I'm sending back all the fabrics left over for everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails 101_0072-2-.jpg   101_0073-2-.jpg  
    Old 03-28-2016, 08:52 AM

Lib, thank you!! I love that block and am really loving the blue/white in this swap almost as much as the orange/white in the 2 month swap.. I didn't get started in the 3 month bag yet. Almost finished my Hunters Star. took a nap went over to grandkids for a few min to see what the bunny brought them...just a dark dreary rainy day here in Missouri and good for sewing! Heres a picture of my 4 youngest grandkids AND their "daddy"...I mean bunny.
    Attached Thumbnails fb_img_1459128025165.jpg  
    Old 03-28-2016, 09:16 AM

Now, how cute is that? What a beautiful family. We had the dreary, cold and rainy yesterday and last night. Sun's shining today. Take heart, the sun's on the way. My two great-grands (almost 2) racked up from the Easter Bunny . They're loving it! Wouldn't it be nice to have some of their energy?
    Old 03-28-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay
    Lib, thank you!! I love that block and am really loving the blue/white in this swap almost as much as the orange/white in the 2 month swap.. I didn't get started in the 3 month bag yet. Almost finished my Hunters Star. took a nap went over to grandkids for a few min to see what the bunny brought them...just a dark dreary rainy day here in Missouri and good for sewing! Heres a picture of my 4 youngest grandkids AND their "daddy"...I mean bunny.
    Great memories being made!