Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 16 - Group Therapy - 3 month group >
  • Boom 16 - Group Therapy - 3 month group

• Boom 16 - Group Therapy - 3 month group

Old 04-12-2016, 06:21 AM

Terri & Jaba - I received the fabric. Thank you both so much! Now I can finish the block and will post a pic.
    Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by GramE
    Ok, all you veteran 12 1/2" block makers. Quilter's Cache is a bit confusing. They say 12" squares, they come out 12/ 1/2" but there is really no scant 1/4 left for a seam. Is there some way to adjust without throwing the whole square off. Is this something I'm doing, unintentionally? I notice on some squares there is nearly a full 1/2 inch clearance for seams. My insecurities lead me to finding things I can put a frame on but not what I want to choose every time.

Throw some sage old advice my way, please.
    Don't know how sage or helpful this will be, but 12 inch finished is the same as 12.5 inch unfinished. I can't speak from personal experience w/ QC I make nearly all my own patterns from pictures, but I have heard others comment on how QC needs SCANT 1/4 inch, if it were me I would probably add the tiniest "scant" to the cutting size and do a true 1/4 inch seam.
    Old 04-12-2016, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by donna873
    Can anyone tell me the name of it? I haven't been in a swap like this one and was trying to figure out how it works. I would love to get into a future swap.

If you read the first post in this thread it explains a lot also read the first post here http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...n-t275495.html for even more information also towards the end of the time for this group to end Janice usually gives a possible timeline for when the next swap will start.
    Old 04-12-2016, 09:21 AM

My first modern block ever. Katsdar hope you like it. Block is New York Fair Puzzle

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547639[/ATTACH]

And Moonwork's, PDiana

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547640[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
    Old 04-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn
    My first modern block ever. Katsdar hope you like it. Block is New York Fair Puzzle

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547639[/ATTACH]

And Moonwork's, PDiana

[ATTACH=CONFIG]547640[/ATTACH]
    Double WOW!
    Old 04-12-2016, 11:11 AM

Thanks Gram E, only two left to go but going to work on my mug rug for the Hospitality swap first. Then it will be time to go to Art Therapy with Granddaughter

Residents in our county had a rude awakening this morning. There was some kind of glitch and all the emergency sirens went off at a few minutes after 6. Scared the bejeebers out of me
    Old 04-12-2016, 11:59 AM

I guess that would scare the bejeebers out of me too, and I love my block, wow and moonwork's block too, wow I'm really getting beautiful blocks. Thank you

Thanks Gram E, only two left to go but going to work on my mug rug for the Hospitality swap first. Then it will be time to go to Art Therapy with Granddaughter

Residents in our county had a rude awakening this morning. There was some kind of glitch and all the emergency sirens went off at a few minutes after 6. Scared the bejeebers out of me
    Old 04-12-2016, 12:07 PM

I live just a mile from Grissom Air Reserve Base. We hear stuff ALL the time. The shooting range is just off the hwy & if outside you might think there was a gun fight some where some days. At 8am, 4pm, & 9pm we get revelry, Star Spangled Banner, Taps. Plus the big planes buzzing our house on the way to landing. We are kinda immune to loud noises. We have emergency sirens in town but we are far enough away, I'm not sure I would hear them if I was asleep. But the dogs give me rude awakenings at inappropriate times. Not fun. Glad you found out it was a glitch. They have automatic calling here when they need to blast out info like that.

I'm guessing you didn't go back to sleep! Jump start to the adrenaline.

have a great time at art therapy. I think that is what sewing is for me!
    Old 04-12-2016, 12:29 PM

Gee, GramE, I've had excellent luck with Quilter's Cache, but then I've only used a couple of dozen of the designs. And like Kass, I often draw out the blocks myself and figure the allowances. I may not necessarily make the block in the same manner as QC but it looks the same in the end. I almost always use a scant 1/4 inch seam and for a new block, I will measure after each and every joining to make sure I'm on target. It's so easy for me to mess up a new-to-me block if I don't.

Quilter's Cache calls blocks 12 inches but they turn out 12 1/2 UNFINISHED, until you join them with the other blocks you may have. It's a distinction that threw me early in my quilting career.

I'd say if you are having difficulty, try a more straightforward block and don't forget to consider the fact that the directions may be amiss on the block you are working on.

Hugs...
    Originally Posted by GramE
    Ok, all you veteran 12 1/2" block makers. Quilter's Cache is a bit confusing. They say 12" squares, they come out 12/ 1/2" but there is really no scant 1/4 left for a seam. Is there some way to adjust without throwing the whole square off. Is this something I'm doing, unintentionally? I notice on some squares there is nearly a full 1/2 inch clearance for seams. My insecurities lead me to finding things I can put a frame on but not what I want to choose every time.

Throw some sage old advice my way, please.
    Old 04-12-2016, 01:35 PM

Wow, thanks for all the lovely blocks so far...they all look great!

QuiltersCache blocks to me alllll require a scant 1/4". I don't "do" 7/8" so I round it up to the next inch and that gives me a little wiggle room too.