Boom 17 - OPAL

Old 09-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

I just counted the days and found that we have about 4 weeks left in the Opal swap, counting this week and leaving the last week before the deadline for mailing. Yay! There still are about 8 blocks for my quilt that have yet to show up. Can't wait to see what they are going to be!

Meanwhile, I will make some filler blocks with my fabric. I'm actually hoping to have enough to make two lap quilts to donate for women in shelters, or hospitals.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:02 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558546[/ATTACH]
Quiltermomma, hope this is warm enough. Doesn't matter how much I brush & pick & look, there always seems to be a wild thread in my pictures. Would demand a refund on my eye surgery, but I had the problem long before the surgery!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by GramE; 09-19-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Cause I don't see what's wrong til it is too late!
Old 09-19-2016, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I just counted the days and found that we have about 4 weeks left in the Opal swap, counting this week and leaving the last week before the deadline for mailing. Yay! There still are about 8 blocks for my quilt that have yet to show up. Can't wait to see what they are going to be!

Meanwhile, I will make some filler blocks with my fabric. I'm actually hoping to have enough to make two lap quilts to donate for women in shelters, or hospitals.
Sewbizgirl,
You are one of my last two or three and I can't decide a block. One day it tells me one thing the next another. Do you like stars, triangles, (Bermuda is a triangle, remember!) or squares. Now that you see what has been made would you like a certain color to balance out the rest? I love the fabric just not sure what direction it is pulling me.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by GramE
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558453[/ATTACH]
Libster, this is a few less pieces that the last one! Hurray! I can change the center if it is too dark but it is a great match to the maroon in your fabric.
This is a really cool block. I always have a problem with getting the points to line up in the middle with these kinds of blocks. Great job, GramE
Old 09-19-2016, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mona G
Lstew2212, here is your block it is Spinner from Quilter's Cache
Another great block for my quilt. Thanks Mona G. I love it.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GramE
Sewbizgirl,
You are one of my last two or three and I can't decide a block. One day it tells me one thing the next another. Do you like stars, triangles, (Bermuda is a triangle, remember!) or squares. Now that you see what has been made would you like a certain color to balance out the rest? I love the fabric just not sure what direction it is pulling me.
I was wondering if my fabric was just really uninspiring!

Weeeeeelllllll... if I get to pick, I do love stars. I love the star block you made for Quiltermomma, and also the skinny star you made for Teriamn out of her sports fabric. Lots of people have used white and blue already in my blocks, and originally I had wanted some lavender too, so if you wanted to add some lavender or green rather than blue and white, that would be great. Lstew made me a block with a very bright lime green, and then no one else used that green. So another block with that kind of green would be a good balancer too. It's all good... I will make some with the missing colors as fillers, at the end.

Thank you for asking!
Old 09-19-2016, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lstew2212
This is a really cool block. I always have a problem with getting the points to line up in the middle with these kinds of blocks. Great job, GramE
Thank you. I'm so glad I decided to learn to stitch by hand!

Hand sewing is much easier for me than machine stitching some blocks. When I'm machine stitching I find myself thinking "I wouldn't be having a problem if I was hand sewing this!"
Old 09-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I was wondering if my fabric was just really uninspiring!

Weeeeeelllllll... if I get to pick, I do love stars. I love the star block you made for Quiltermomma, and also the skinny star you made for Teriamn out of her sports fabric. Lots of people have used white and blue already in my blocks, and originally I had wanted some lavender too, so if you wanted to add some lavender or green rather than blue and white, that would be great. Lstew made me a block with a very bright lime green, and then no one else used that green. So another block with that kind of green would be a good balancer too. It's all good... I will make some with the missing colors as fillers, at the end.

Thank you for asking!
well, I think that is why it is still in the bag because I don't have a matching green. But a trip to Joann's can fix that. I need some for a couple others too. The lavender makes me nervous because I don't see it & I'd be afraid I would pick the wrong one! Thanks a bunch for the feedback!
Old 09-19-2016, 05:40 PM

GramE I love your star to QM. What's a few threads between friends.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 PM

Mona, I just want to say that I love the reverse side of your fabric and I am so tempted to use it but I will try my best to restrain myself!