Boom 17 - OPAL

Old 09-22-2016, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay
I started this for my granddaughter whos room is bright pink and lime green.. Her mom thinks it looks a little manly with the animals (she LOVES all animals)...does it look manly to you?? I only had the one white/pink/green block done. Don't want to make too many if shes not gonna like it. Have 24 of the different animal ones done. It looks orange but it IS bright pink!

Your Granddaughter could be my youngest daughter her room was also BRIGHT HOT PINK and lime green she loved it, she is also a lover of all animals and is also a girly girl. Even today at 23 would love this quilt it as adorable. Personally I like the way it is but if you feel the need to make it more feminine (what ever that means) maybe scallop the borders or add some lace in the binding.

You are an awesome grandma knowing what she likes and wanting to please her.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Ahhh thank you Billi...shes not a tom boy but not too girly either. At 11 she hasn't decided what she wants to be yet. rough houses with the boys but screams and giggles like a girl! LOL I think she will like it. Wasn't too keen on green walls and pink curtains but I have to admit its very attractive. She just got a new bed, regular size and the quilts I have made her have just been twin size. Now to figure out what the third 11 year old would like. He LOVES reading, plays ball, is in an advanced class in school but still likes video games too..hes the hard one to figure what to make! Conner will love the fish..not so sure about Hayden. Logan the 3 year old thinks they ALL ought to be for him!! LOL
Old 09-22-2016, 08:45 AM

I didn't see "manly" at all but the backgrounds on the animals of those 3 squares were a little dark...I think the critters are really cute, esp the foxes and turtles and monkeys on other blocks..I don't want her to see them since its for Christmas but shes seen the 10" squares of animals I had laying around, just not what I'm doing with them. Her remark was "ahhhh so cute"...thanks for input!!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:46 AM

I love your start on the quilt! I don't think it's "manly" but maybe her mom thinks all quilts for girls have to be pink and frilly; so not true. However, I'd also ask your g'daughter what SHE thinks. I do like Billi's idea of scalloped borders or lacy somethings. FYI, my sister, a girly girl she was, loved her bright pink and lime green room as a child. Your quilt would have been loved to shreds. I hope you decide to move forward on it.
Edited to add: just saw that you don't want to show her the quilt in advance. I'd go with your gut then.
Originally Posted by joanelizbay
I started this for my granddaughter whos room is bright pink and lime green.. Her mom thinks it looks a little manly with the animals (she LOVES all animals)...does it look manly to you?? I only had the one white/pink/green block done. Don't want to make too many if shes not gonna like it. Have 24 of the different animal ones done. It looks orange but it IS bright pink!

Last edited by Janice McC; 09-22-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:01 AM

Had to search old fb pictures here is my youngest room and the goofballs that painted it.....also the hand prints on her boos are her sisters.... she was 15 and would have done this earlier this was here room till we moved away. [ATTACH=CONFIG]558697[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pink-likme-green.jpg  
Old 09-22-2016, 09:13 AM

Joan I agree with everyone else. Doesn't seem namely to me either.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:47 AM

Hailees room is Bright Lime green with bright pink curtains! I'm SURE she will love it and when I show all the blocks to her mom she will probably agree..Maybe next year will be her girly year but I'm NOT rushing that!
Old 09-23-2016, 06:38 AM

Reminders for everyone as they pack up blocks to ship to me: Be sure to include postage of $6.80 per return package. Make sure to seal up and label every ziplock Baggie with your name and the owner's name and and put them all in a large gallon size Baggie, also well-sealed. I don't want to be picking up a dozen blocks from the floor. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:02 AM

Tracking says my blocks are out for delivery today.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:37 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558820[/ATTACH]
Sewbizgirl, I think your instincts were right. This makes a very balanced color-wise block!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg