Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 09-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

So sorry your BIL got bad news, Terri. We just lost my SIL to cancer and she had that whipple procedure done years ago, on her first cancer. It worked really well but unfortunately she seemed to grow cancer everywhere over the following 10 years or so. Praying your BIL beats it. I hate cancer!
Old 09-08-2016, 03:49 AM

Joan, I love my block. Thank you! Beautiful colors!
Originally Posted by joanelizbay
Two more done...Terriann and Janice. Time to pick another baggie out of the envelope and see what is next! Love the blocks with the space theme!!
Old 09-08-2016, 03:51 AM

NanaKathy, I love this block! I didn't know how blocks with smaller cuts of my fabric would work but it's wonderful. Thank you!
Originally Posted by NanaKathy55
This one is for Janice
Old 09-08-2016, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
So will I... I guess I never consider any part of the fabric a big waste, as I use it all. I cut my scraps into strips or squares to use in scrappy quilting. I make a lot of scrappy quilts for donation.
I didn't mean truly wasted that is why I put it in quotes. I didn't mean it couldn't be used for anything, just not for the swap so you would have to buy a significantly bigger piece of fabric to have enough cuts for the swap.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:25 AM

Terri, I am so sorry about your family's bad news. I hope the procedure is successful and he beats the CA
Old 09-08-2016, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by bibliostone

... teaser for moonworks block, because, if you have an idea, you have to get it out quick before someone else uses it.

ljdugas:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]557747[/ATTACH]

moonwork: this is a practice stitchout that is not on moonwork's fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]557748[/ATTACH]
Superb! She always mentions she loves San Fran and posts photos of it. You must be a mind reader
Old 09-08-2016, 06:01 AM

Sewbizgirl, that's a thought. But as I recently learned, if appliqué is to be done on a piece, it'd probably be better to send 13 inch wide piece. I'm not sure if that would work for everyone though. As you can see in the gallery, some blocks are made with only a little bit of an f8 and I'd be loath to require people to send larger pieces when only a small percentage of the completed block contains their fabric. But for those of you who think most people will do appliqué, you might consider sending the larger piece.

I may have started this by saying I couldn't make the block I wanted. In my case, it's because both F8s were short by one half an inch and I needed that full 11 inches. I have other plans for those now so it's not a problem but I've recd a couple of reports that some f8s were very short, a couple of inches short because selvages were not removed. Please remember to cut the selvages off BEFORE cutting your fabric into F8s. In one case, the loss to selvage was over 1 1/2 inches along the long edge. That swapper had to work with a piece about 9 inches wide. That's a problem. Also, one piece I recd appears to have been hastily cut by scissors, and once squared up, there's also a loss of over an inch along the long edge. So next round, let's try to get as close to the 11x18 inch size as possible or possibly larger if applique is a real possibility. Thanks!
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I think it would be really helpful if we could send 12.5 x 18 instead of 11 x 18... so if you wanted to use the fabric as a whole background for applique you wouldn't have to piece it together. Some people voluntarily did this and I was able to cut their fabric into a 12.5" square with no seaming.

Last edited by Janice McC; 09-08-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:23 AM

what fantastic blocks bibliostane
Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
I didn't mean truly wasted that is why I put it in quotes. I didn't mean it couldn't be used for anything, just not for the swap so you would have to buy a significantly bigger piece of fabric to have enough cuts for the swap.
True. I had a whole bolt of my fabric so I cut bigger pieces. I bought it for nearly nothing when Hancocks was liquidating!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:21 AM

I try to be generous with my fabrics...if anyone is ever wanting more, just let me know and I'll be happy to send you some... in fact if you are so totally inspired with hippie blocks... you can make as many as your heart desires.... peace baby