Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 09-18-2016, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
I never realized how beautiful gray was until my nephew wanted me to make him a blue, black and gray quilt. I thought this is going to be one ugly quilt, but it wasn't, it turned out really nice.
Beautiful quilt
Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 AM

First up is QuilterMomma's, Wyoming Beauty. I love your fabric. I'd completely made the block in an even darker grey but all I saw was the grey every time I looked at it. I took it apart and that's when I had an unfortunate incident with the rotary cutter. Anyway, by sheer luck I had just enough left over, by 1/16 of an inch, to fix my blunder. Et voila!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558442[/ATTACH]

And here is LJDugas's. It is a variation on QC's Beacon Lights Variation. 😊 I had trouble finding a grey I liked, too light, too dark. The light ones washed out the f8 and the darker ones overpowered it. Besides, Ljdugas asked for light grey so here's my happy medium. The grey appears considerably darker in this pic than it really is. I like that in person the grey recedes and the block comes forward.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558443[/ATTACH]

And my my third grey block, for Libster, no longer has grey so ha! Happiness big time. I'm reworking it and it's nothing at all like it started out but it's incomplete.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 09-18-2016, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
Went back and looked at your quilt again, I can't believed you made that from reclaimed shirts.. It is truly fantastic. Do you go to the goodwill and places like that?
Rummage sales, late in the day (when you can stuff a bag for a dollar!), and yes Goodwill. We have two Goodwill Outlet stores locally, where they sell the clothes for $1.50 a pound. I pick through and find the nice 100% cotton shirts, then take off the buttons and cut them up. I have plenty of nice button sets from those shirts, as I do make shirts sometimes for myself and hubby.

You can find the stores in your state here:
http://www.gwoutletstorelocator.com/
Click on your state to find the outlets.

Sorry to hijack the Topaz thread, but perhaps some others are looking for nice cotton fabrics to reclaim?

I did not use any reclaimed fabrics in my Boom swap blocks.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Those are beautiful blocks, Janice. Love those grays... glad you made peace with them. They made your blocks sing.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:35 AM

Love your blocks Janice, still seeing gray.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:03 AM

I'm going to try this again this time only comments so I don't lose my post again (the cylons are out to get me again, testy computers!!!!)

Janice I love your blocks it always feels so good to get the unruly ones finished!

Sew I love using upcycled fabrics too, and men's shirts are such an amazing source. I made this obnoxious block from a man's dress shirt from the Salvation Army (we don't have any Goodwills in the towns I generally am in I think there are some in Tulsa, but I hate driving in Tulsa unless I have to)

Picture to follow unless the cylons block me again.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:04 AM

Let's see if this works
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1156.jpg  
Old 09-18-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
Let's see if this works
This looks like one of those posts where I'm supposed to stare at the picture until I see the hidden item or word or number. I don't see the hidden thing.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by GramE
This looks like one of those posts where I'm supposed to stare at the picture until I see the hidden item or word or number. I don't see the hidden thing.
LOL well not sure but I think if you saw "something" you might need new glasses or stronger meds!!! lol lol lol
Old 09-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

That's a gorgeous block Kass. I would have gone blind. Cylons... cough cough scifigeek cough cough!

I love how the better mens shirts have that tight weave and high thread count, like really good, expensive sheets. Quilts with that fab will last forever.