Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM

You all are making such beautiful blocks! I have been struggling with mine. The paper piecing is not going as well as I would have liked. I look at what you all have done and your points are coming together so beautifully! Ok. enough inspiration from looking at what you are creating. Back to my sewing table. My son is moving back into my sewing room. I suspect that a trip to the fabric store will have to happen as I won't be able to access my wall of neatly organized boxes full of fabric. (They are so "well" organized that I can't figure out what happened to some fabrics I bought and washed specifically for BOOM, lol.) Quilt hugs to all of you.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94
You all are making such beautiful blocks! I have been struggling with mine. The paper piecing is not going as well as I would have liked. I look at what you all have done and your points are coming together so beautifully! Ok. enough inspiration from looking at what you are creating. Back to my sewing table. My son is moving back into my sewing room. I suspect that a trip to the fabric store will have to happen as I won't be able to access my wall of neatly organized boxes full of fabric. (They are so "well" organized that I can't figure out what happened to some fabrics I bought and washed specifically for BOOM, lol.) Quilt hugs to all of you.
haha, I've probably misplaced more fabric than I've bought. Or, could it be I've already used it & forgot, so it isn't lost at all! My brain is aging quicker than I am.

I was brand new to all this just a few months ago. And I agree, looking at everyone's blocks is intimidating. Appliqué, triangles galore, I tried to stay within my skill level & do my best. Janice doesn't ask for more than that! Well, maybe she's kinda funny about that 12 1/2" thingy.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:39 PM

Ibex, this is a stress-free zone. This, of course, from the woman who was freaking out over greys so consider the source. Anyway, the first thing to do is to relax and breathe, and then pick simpler blocks to make. We've got a lot of people on here who are very experienced and multi-talented and I love them to death although they sometimes set the bar pretty darn high. In order to maintain some degree of sanity, I usually just do my thing, simpler blocks, more traditional, and easier on my nerves. So please, just do what you are comfortable with, shoot for that 12 1/2 inch goal, and have fun! And if you want to discuss points, I'll "point" you to my blocks. There isn't one that has perfect points, I can assure you of that.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:53 PM

Hahahaha...I hadn't read this before. Re: 50 shades of grey, I try to consider the more sensitive among us when it comes to names. I had a person inform me a long time ago that they didn't like the names of one of my swaps because they were "suggestive". I take it back, two complained about it. My goodness. Did I change the names? Heck no. BTW, the names that offended were Fast and Furious and Slow and Easy. Really? Mind in the gutter much?
Originally Posted by Billi
I'm pretty sure it was the gray gods annoyed with Janice when she rejected my first idea of naming one of the groups 50 shades of gray (fabric) hahhahahaha I wanted the other to be The fault in our star blocks...I don't think Janice finds my movie puns as amusing as I do .
Old 09-20-2016, 12:59 PM

Reminder, this option remains open for both groups. If anyone finishes early, don't forget you can ship to me early so long as blocks arrive by Sept. 30th. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Janice McC
Just an fyi for anyone wanting to mail their completed blocks to me early, you can go ahead and do so as long as they arrive between the 19th and the 30th of September. As always, please let me know in advance that you are shipping so I can make arrangements if I'm going to be out for the day. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2016, 01:10 PM

I don't know if this will help or not, it is a post I made in the boom 16 swap
This series of pics is about how I pin and sew PP sections together. I haven't seen anyone do it like I do, but there might be some tuts out there I haven't looked extensively.

I pin straight through both sections, leading edge is pinned point down, all following pins are point up. I make sure the pins are straight from both sides. When they are lined up I pinch the leading edge w/ my fingers to keep it from slipping and remove the leading pin only.

This shows where I place the pin, exactly through the center of the seam point I am matching, this is on both pieces.

Once the leading edge is down AND the needle down holding it in place, I use the next point up pins as a handle keeping them straight up and making sure my line stays true top and bottom. This is a short piece so only on point up pin longer seams need more pins. I stop sewing before the pin while I still have space to remove it and then keep the spot pinched w/ my fingers.

These two pics show the top and bottom sew line mark and my actual sew thread line and how they match up both top and bottom.

And I agree TOTALLY w/ whoever said they over cut and trim instead of risking having it to small and ripping. FPP is for perfect impossible points to get that you have to be willing to give something up, that something is extreme fabric frugility!!!!!!! As you get better you learn some fabric saving ways, but in the beginning don't get bogged down in that it will suck every bit of joy out of it having to rip seams, just go in knowing you will use extra fabric and make your peace w/ it.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:15 PM

I consider myself tuted! Thank you.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:22 PM

Janice, I plan on sending both groups of mine out tomorrow. As soon as I get my tracking number, I'll email it to you. This Boom has been so fun!
Old 09-20-2016, 03:12 PM

Sounds like a plan. You know the scoop so I won't repeat it all. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Libster
Janice, I plan on sending both groups of mine out tomorrow. As soon as I get my tracking number, I'll email it to you. This Boom has been so fun!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:07 PM

GRRRRR so frustrating when you type a paragraph and go to post a pic and not only doesn't post the pic but locks you out of your text so you have to start over, you would think I would learn and post all my text first!!!! Moonrise your block if finished. It isn't what I intended when I first got your fabric, but I was having to much fun the melons and rinds, and the ombre fabric. This one is completely from my own head, using those two pieces. Hope you like it.