Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 PM

very pretty M&S
Old 10-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

I like that block, Muse...

Today I went to our State Fair to see the quilts and was so disappointed! There have always been over 100 entered and this year there were 12! It was just pitiful. Same for the canned goods. And the state fair quilting bee didn't happen this year, for the first time I can ever remember. It's such a shame that the traditional arts are not being demonstrated or promoted at a state fair, and more and more space in the building is given to vendors of tacky garbage. I'm so sad!
Old 10-12-2016, 06:52 PM

M& S....thanks for the great block!
Old 10-12-2016, 07:06 PM

Glad you like the block Fancie!

Originally Posted by francie yuhas
M& S....thanks for the great block!
So sorry sewbizgirl about your State Fair! What a surprise that would be. I loved ours. There are always lots of entry. They always have a quilt challenge with a theme. You buy a fat quarter & then there are usually around 36 people who make mini quilts around the theme. Pretty fun!
Old 10-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Muse&Sew

So sorry sewbizgirl about your State Fair! What a surprise that would be. I loved ours. There are always lots of entry. They always have a quilt challenge with a theme. You buy a fat quarter & then there are usually around 36 people who make mini quilts around the theme. Pretty fun!
That does sound fun. We need a better person or committee in charge of it. I think the lady/ladies who used to be in charge have either grown too old or perhaps died.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:20 AM

Sewbiz that is sad your fair entries dropped that drastically. Our state fair is so darn large and crowded we haven't been to it in at least 5 years but love going to the small county ones. There we can at least get close to the quilt exhibits and actually take the time to enjoy their beauty

Tommorrow we head to Iowa to tour the Amana colonies then over to Des Moines for Dd's big race. We will be staying at a Air B&B with dd# 2 and two of the grandkids. We have an entire house and it will be our first Air expierence.

have been working with granddaughter Abby on a simple panel of the US. for a gift to Kelly from Abby on accomplishing her 10 year goal in 8 years. Used fusible backing on white fabric and cut out 51 3/4" squares that Abby numbered 1-51. Following oldest dd's list of races Abby carefully placed the numbers EXACTLY where she wanted them on each state, we ironed them down and Abby wrote a motivational quote from Jimmy Johnson on panel. My job was to layer the panel sew around all the states and 51 squares. Sounds easy but very time consuming. Finished last night and checked with dd on the year of her first race so Abby can write it on label. Kelly sent me the list of races with all the year dates and I noticed the list didn't match her first list. At 11 last night I was ripping out the stitching on 10 of the little squares and can resew them this morning. Frustrating. The back and binding has tennis shoe fabric and Abby is thrilled with her gift to Kelly.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by terriamn
Sewbiz that is sad your fair entries dropped that drastically. Our state fair is so darn large and crowded we haven't been to it in at least 5 years but love going to the small county ones. There we can at least get close to the quilt exhibits and actually take the time to enjoy their beauty

Tommorrow we head to Iowa to tour the Amana colonies then over to Des Moines for Dd's big race. We will be staying at a Air B&B with dd# 2 and two of the grandkids. We have an entire house and it will be our first Air expierence.

have been working with granddaughter Abby on a simple panel of the US. for a gift to Kelly from Abby on accomplishing her 10 year goal in 8 years. Used fusible backing on white fabric and cut out 51 3/4" squares that Abby numbered 1-51. Following oldest dd's list of races Abby carefully placed the numbers EXACTLY where she wanted them on each state, we ironed them down and Abby wrote a motivational quote from Jimmy Johnson on panel. My job was to layer the panel sew around all the states and 51 squares. Sounds easy but very time consuming. Finished last night and checked with dd on the year of her first race so Abby can write it on label. Kelly sent me the list of races with all the year dates and I noticed the list didn't match her first list. At 11 last night I was ripping out the stitching on 10 of the little squares and can resew them this morning. Frustrating. The back and binding has tennis shoe fabric and Abby is thrilled with her gift to Kelly.
Yours and Abby's gift to Kelly sound perfect she will love it.

Mr Bill and I have used airb&b or home away several times. I t's almost always cheeper than a hotel. especially for a group and it's more our style. I like being able to have a store of foods so we don't have to go out and eat all the time. Enjoy your trip and good luck to Kelly in her race.

This morning I am headed off with a friend for a girls weekend with my sisters. One of my sisters owns an antique mall in old town Clovis California . twice a year the hold an event called glorious junk days that all the 9 antique store and about 180 other venders participate in, it's huge! It's always fun and interesting and all the booths have to be over 60% vintage or antique as is or repurposed. We stay in a hotel right there in town so we can walk everywhere and it's just the girls. I checked for airb&b this time and nothing

There is a quilt store there too that I always visit sometimes I find great stuff sometimes not but I always enjoy it.

Everybody have a safe fun weekend
Old 10-13-2016, 06:33 AM

Love Clovis, my Dad was a police officer there back in the 60's, then I lived in Tollhouse in the 80's. We were always going through there, to Fresno,neat little town. Have fun.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

You are going to have so much fun, Billi! I am envious.... LOVE poking around antique malls and flea markets. To me that's so much more interesting than shopping at, say, a mall! The old stuff always reminds me of my parents, grandparents and a happy childhood. I still need to quilt a beautiful old top I found on one such excursion.

I booked with airbnb when I went to Paducah last spring. Loved the home, LOVED the hosts, loved the other guests in the home, who were also there for the Paducah show. It was a great experience.

My son and his wife rent out their house through airbnb, when they are going to be out of town for a holiday or some other extended period of time. I think they have had mostly good experiences doing that.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:33 PM

My last block for Moonwork, just need to hand sew the bell bottoms down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]560236[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg