Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 11-17-2016, 06:07 AM

We don't have turkey as often as you do,TravelingGramma but when we do, I put everything (bones, skin, juice) in a pot & boil it then make turkey & noodles! We have ham usually, DH is not a turkey fan. We are eating ham at DD house this year.

Hoping to make a trip to the PO today!
Old 11-17-2016, 06:58 AM

Thanks a lot of turkeys travellinggramma. Fun that you get to spend time with so many loved ones. It's snowed her in Utah for the first time this winter. I' not so sure I'm ready for it.

Quilter momma,I'm sure we'll all love the blocks you make.

I love all the wonderful blocks everyone has made & the creativity. So interesting to see the variety & what every one comes ups with. Good for me to learn more about the construction & different ways. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-17-2016, 07:37 AM

Make two copies of each sheet. 4 sheets total.

Cut them apart and lay out to keep things straight. Cut a 4.5 and 4 - 3 inch squares

Cut a strip for the narrow dark ribbon 2.25 inches wide, lay out the pieces w/ a good double seam allowance you will be cutting fabric only between the diagonal lines and the to separate each piece. Lay your fabric BACK SIDE UP.

Like this

Cut a piece of background fabric at least 1.75 inches wide 2 inches wide is ample (lost my paper w/ the lengths written on it) You will lay this fabric right side up. Now repeat this mantra often you will use it for every diagonal seam in this block. RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER, LONG EDGE TO DIAGONAL EDGE. You will sew on the diagonal line on the paper shorten your stitch length when sewing on paper

Flip press trim. Always trim the edge that will keep the longest opposite long edge first. So on this one trim the long paper edge first.

Like this you always want to maintain the long edge of the strips as long as possible

Now on opposite side of strip the new long edge remember your mantra RST, LETDE sew on paper diagonal line

Finish all 4, place in position next to 3 inch squares

You are going to sew this pp to each square. Before sewing make sure you trimmed your diagnonal seam allowance (I forgot here) if it is easier for you to do all your trimming on the pp you can definitely do that before sewing

You will chain piece these if you don't trim the edges yet like I did make sure your paper lines up w/ your true background square.

Remove the paper in the seam allowance (you will appreciate those shorter stitches here) and trim your seam

Place the sewn sets back in position, now work on your long skinny ribbon pieces. (D means dark and L means light) You will do it exactly like the short dark set, just a longer strip of the light fabric. Remember when placing the papers on top for cutting the ribbon part back side up, then remember the mantra RST, LETDE. Then trim diagonal seam and lay out in position

You will sew them the same as the short dark ribbons to the partially sewn corner sets.

You will trim these to 4.5 inch squares. Keep your 45' line through the center of your block and if you have a choice of what to trim, trim where it won't cut your points.

Trimming this side keeping the center of the block in mind will make this point better not worse.

Now on to the fatter ribbons. You will cut light and dark ribbon fabric at least 2 inch strips, 2.5 if you want more wiggle room. Lay out the papers on the strip like before leaving double seam allowance between for trimming. Fabric is back side up remember. The bottom triangle will be the star color, the top will be the background color. (top and bottom are oriented to the correct position of the D and L)

All diagonals are sewn using your mantra RST, LETDE. The strips for star and background fabric is at least 2 inches, 2.25 for wiggle room

I did all the star points first but any way you proceed is fine I keep it all laid out b/c the backwards thing can get confusing.

After you get both background and star points sew, seams trimmed and ready to go now you can sew the center seam of each middle section

Once they are sewn and trimmed it is a simple 9 patch. I make sure all sets are completely trimmed to 4.5 inch here then remove the papers and sew as a normal 9 patch. I remove the paper before sewing here b/c matching points is more important then the paper sew line, you can ease a little to match them if needed, but if the paper is still there you can't ease.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:46 AM

This is the tutorial I promised for the ribbon star block using partial PP. Judy in the mystery train ride has instructions not using PP, I believe she uses squares and rectangles w/ drawn sew lines and cutting the excess off if that method appeals to you more. I prefer PP this shape when I use it, but I am very comfortable w/ PP. I had the strip length numbers but lost the paper I had them written on and honestly can't remember. This is a method of PP that has very little waste and I think makes the triangle pieces less confusing.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial Kassaundra! SO how can I get the PP pattern? Should I PM you? Love the final outcome. Such a pretty block!
Old 11-17-2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Muse&Sew
Thanks for the great tutorial Kassaundra! SO how can I get the PP pattern? Should I PM you? Love the final outcome. Such a pretty block!
I'm including a copy of the pp pages w/ anyone's block who wants them.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:42 AM

Here are the names I have for the PP pattern, let me know if I'm missing anyone. Museandsew Sewbiz, Terri, Libster, GramE, Jaba.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
This is the tutorial I promised for the ribbon star block using partial PP. Judy in the mystery train ride has instructions not using PP, I believe she uses squares and rectangles w/ drawn sew lines and cutting the excess off if that method appeals to you more. I prefer PP this shape when I use it, but I am very comfortable w/ PP. I had the strip length numbers but lost the paper I had them written on and honestly can't remember. This is a method of PP that has very little waste and I think makes the triangle pieces less confusing.
wow, I think I like electronic learning! Thank you, bunches. I love this block!
Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra
Here are the names I have for the PP pattern, let me know if I'm missing anyone. Museandsew Sewbiz, Terri, Libster, GramE, Jaba.
Me too please
Old 11-17-2016, 10:35 AM

Your welcome GramE.

I have you added MoonW.

I am sitting here frogging. We are getting our first hard freeze this weekend so making sure I have winter clothes for the Nakeds. I am changing the sleeve design, and insulating it, that is why I'm frogging