Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 11-28-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC
Here's a sneak peek. I'm breaking my rule about 200kb pic files just this once, and you all know how I'm a rules gal, born and bred. But this is so darn pretty, to my eyes at least, that I wanted it to be clearer than usual. Look at all those beautiful blocks!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562895[/ATTACH]

To say that this round was easy would be an understatement. You all did a great job. Sizing was the best yet, seam width has improved, color requests were generally on target. Wow! I'm so proud of you all. I'm fairly going to burst at the seams. Thank you, Topaznians!

All that's left is for me to pet the pretties one more time as I stuff your various bags and boxes and ship tomorrow. Pick up is normally in early afternoon but with the holidays, who knows? You'll get your tracking number either later tonight or first thing on the morning directly from USPS.

And thank you all for my blocks. I haven't opened them up yet - I never do until yours go out - but the pix were beautiful. Thanks again!
Awesome!!! Can't wait.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:28 PM

I've already got my tracking number. I'm sitting on ready

Sewbiz, I've pulled out my (I think) Boom 10 blocks and started following your tute. I've already got them all done and in rows except for the last 4 blocks. Then all I have to do is join my rows and bind it. I LOVE THIS METHOD!! I don't think I'll ever do a quilt a different way again. (Says someone who just ordered and received 4 cans of 505 spray.) Thank you so much for the tutorial and pictures. May Santa be extra special to you this year!
Old 11-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Libster

Sewbiz, I've pulled out my (I think) Boom 10 blocks and started following your tute. I've already got them all done and in rows except for the last 4 blocks. Then all I have to do is join my rows and bind it. I LOVE THIS METHOD!! I don't think I'll ever do a quilt a different way again. (Says someone who just ordered and received 4 cans of 505 spray.) Thank you so much for the tutorial and pictures. May Santa be extra special to you this year!
Yay, I'm so glad you like it. It's great for when you don't mind having that 1/2" strip between everything... the tiny sashing. There's a way you can do it without... Quilt the blocks to their battings without the backing fabric, then just sew them together without sashing. Once they are together, you lay the quilt on the backing and do some minimal sewing to hold it to the backing, like STID between the blocks. This method only works if you are ok with not having the quilting show on the back.

I love the QAYG method too, because you can have so much fun twisting and turning those blocks as you quilt them individually. For a walking-foot quilter like me, it's heavenly.

Please show your quilt when you get it all together!
Old 11-29-2016, 04:43 AM

Libster, I cannot wait to see your results. I've got several sets of boom blocks and orphan blocks I could try this on. So many UFOs to finish! Oh, dear. And this naturally leads me to a shameless plug for the UFO challenge board. Anyone can join, and when you complete your UFOs (those generally begun and sitting around for at least a year incomplete) post the finish. It's great inspiration for those of us who have many unfinished projects. The link is in my signature below. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Libster

Last edited by Janice McC; 11-29-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 AM

There they are.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]562921[/ATTACH]
My job is done once the carrier arrives. Time for feet up and a good book!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 11-29-2016, 09:13 AM

yayayayayayayayay now the wait!

Thanks so much for your hostess with the mostest abilities!
Old 11-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Well done, Janice! You deserve that good book.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:00 AM

Janice -- love the picture of all the bins of blocks. Thank you for keeping this event going! And thank you to the Topazians for all your creativity and support in my first ever BOOM. Can't wait to get my hands on these blocks! I guess I have a UFO now and can head over to that board as I try to finish up my Mardi Gras quilt. :-)
Old 11-30-2016, 10:38 AM

Janice what a fun picture of all the amazing blocks everyone has made! So fantastic. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the great blocks in person for my quilt!
Old 11-30-2016, 12:00 PM

No worries about the blocks becoming a UFO unless they sit around for a long time! Get working on it right away and you won't have one to start with. That's a case of "do as I say, not as I do". Lol.

For or anyone in the south still in the path of the storms, be safe. I was out in it before I knew what was happening. Luckily, only 3 miles from home. Some folks just a few miles from here may have had a tornado touch down. Don't know yet. Be smarter than I was!
Originally Posted by ibex94
Janice -- love the picture of all the bins of blocks. Thank you for keeping this event going! And thank you to the Topazians for all your creativity and support in my first ever BOOM. Can't wait to get my hands on these blocks! I guess I have a UFO now and can head over to that board as I try to finish up my Mardi Gras quilt. :-)