Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 12-05-2016, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by GramE
What a lovely quilt, Jaba!

Libster, 2010. So I don't need to feel pressure to get these all done? They will wait for me?
Beautiful. And finished is a great word in quilting dictionary!

GramE, no deadline around here for my blocks. This quilt is proof that they will wait for you. I do love this QAYG method. One reason that I procrastinated so long was because of being on my knees on the floor, spray basting. This way is so much easier on an old lady's knees. Now, I know that my quilt is certainly not going to be an heirloom, but it is DONE! I like that.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I GOT THEM!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAY Thank you everyone for my lovely blocks. Thanks for the extras too! And another thanks for filling out the little papers!

Thanks thanks thanks
Yay Moonwork sooooo why isn't it done yet? hahaha That one is such fun I really look forward to seeing pictures of it.

Originally Posted by Janice McC
Just a quick FYI. Had an email from Seasaw and she's got a new laptop on order to arrive in about ten days. The old on is a struggle to get to with her troublesome leg. She should be back online then and checking in with us and the booms then.
I'm so glad she's getting a new laptop I hope her leg improves and we hear from her soon.
Thank you Janice.

Originally Posted by travelinggramma
Yesterday I took out all my blocks, ironed them, measured them, admired all the work you all put into each and every one. Amazing how much prettier they are up close. A few I didn't even recognize because the pictures coloring was so different. Applique amazes me and this group really had our share of talent. We don't have a wall to even put up some flannel!! I did spread them out on the rec room tables and let other people enjoy your work. I have a few ideas of putting them together - but alas, I also have a few to-do beforehand (well, maybe)
Yay TG has all her falling leaves I hope we see a picture they all looked so lovely on the picture site.

Originally Posted by terriamn
Blocks are laid out in front of Christmas tree, think I will leave them there till hubby gets home. No not so he can enjoy them but because it's the one room he has a fit about if I mess up with my quilting. Bet you didn't know I could be an instigator.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563221[/ATTACH]
Terri they look beautiful in front of your tree and they match the colors in your rug so they should stay there till you are read to sew them together.....OK maybe not but to annoy my husband I would do it. Mr. Bill occasionally remarks on the amount of time I spend in my sewing room, but he does worry that I'm not moving enough and he can't sit still for much longer than about an hour at a time. It's not about what I do it's about making sure I move more. I get annoyed with it too and I am an expert eye roller some day they just may roll out of my head and onto the floor.

Originally Posted by jaba
I totally understand terriamn, sometimes it's just fun. I tell hubby that I'm just trying to put a little spark in....he just laughs Love your blocks all together, they look great.
Made a few more blocks, came up with this and now thinking about a final border. Had enough fabric with what was sent back to me, thank you ladies! [ATTACH=CONFIG]563222[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563223[/ATTACH]Colors are off, the sashing is a blended olive green and used the focus fabric for the setting squares.
Jaba that is beautiful, it came together perfectly the sashing and cornerstones pulled all those beautiful blocks together. great job you little speed demon.

Originally Posted by Libster
Here's my finished QAYG from, I think, about Boom 10 maybe? Sorry the picture is so bad, it's dark and raining again. I backed it with TOT Cream flannel. I think my daughter will like it. It's just outline quilting, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Hey, it is DONE!
Nice throwback quilt Libster I love the focus fabric as the skinny sashing

All of my blocks have been placed in to a project box awaiting their turn in line. I'll not put it off for to long because I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to finish it for him (daughters boyfriend). And I have my boom 18 fabric picked out.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:22 PM

Awesome blocks, and finishes and near finishes ladies!!!!!

As to disparaging remarks, now remember the source, but I say ............ "Cutting and sewing things together is my pressure release, I can do it to fabric, or you ........................... your choice"
Old 12-05-2016, 04:28 PM

LOLOLOL Kass that is a perfect answer..I laughed out loud at that one! I had been sitting here thinking Im sure glad I dont have to answer to anyone about the time I sew..I live alone..dont have to cook or wait on anyone or justify anything!! The only one that questions me is my 91 year old cousin who had degeneration of her eyes and cant see, cant hear, has a bad back and seems glad when I mention not getting to sew since my eye surgery...She use to love to quilt but I actually think shes jealous she cant now so becomes bitter sounding when I mention it.. I try to ignore it as best I can...just hope I can sew as long as she did!!! Im still chuckling Kass!!

Why all the sudden are advertisemtnts popping up throughout the thread? I never noticed them before except at the top..its irritating!!

Last edited by joanelizbay; 12-05-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the support, ladies. Usually hubby doesn't pay attention to what I do, but every once in a while he comes out with these comments that irritate me. I wanted to say, "how can you sit in front of a TV for as much as you do?", but I didn't want to be mean.

I don't see ANY ads! I use Firefox with AdBlockerPlus for free, and there are ZERO ads coming through. No pop ups ever, either. I just love it.

Libster, LOVE the 2010 model! The printed sashing is awesome. Never thought of that but now I will be. That's going to be a beautiful quilt for your daughter. Our families are so lucky that we all make quilts, aren't they?
Old 12-05-2016, 06:57 PM

Lister love your quilt! I think it's fantastic you got one done!

Jaba love it too!

Fun how sewing can be calming influence.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:00 PM

I'm loving all the blocks in their new homes... they look so different than in the gallery don't they?

Totally different subject ....
Tonight I stayed after work and helped with a project one of the other departments took on. They agreed to sew fleece beanies for a church group. They needed 60 made and only had a few offer to help sew....so, you know where I stepped in at, lol.
I can say I am so very grateful that I know how to sew and that I have been able to enjoy my hobby most of my life. I am 57 and have sewn since I was about 10 or 12, can't really recall. Some of these ladies are older than me and had no idea of how to even cut fabric (with the stretch y'all... like it shows on the paper.. what do you mean stretch... ayyyyyy and so on). I took my "good" machine and a spare one (that I have for the granddaughter to use) and you would have thought it was magic to a couple of them. We got about 42 of them sewed tonight and they will have to finish the rest tomorrow night without me (I did leave the spare machine for them to use).
The knowledge we take for granted sometimes will never be know by so many it's sad. And these very ladies can't pass their knowledge to their children because they've never been exposed.
I'm glad my granddaughter is wanting to learn to sew, even if it's basic items and just now and then when she has free time (she's 11 almost)..maybe someday she'll be showing me her blocks and ideas.

Oh well, I was happy to help but sad at the same time. Sad that the need was there for the kids and sad that this generation is missing out on our favorite pasttime.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 PM

Moonwork my 6 yo granddaughter asked for a kids sewing book for Christmas. She also enjoys crafting. The youngest of the 5 Grand's and she is my last chance at having a sewer in my immediate family. Very sad.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 PM

Moonwork,

I know what you are talking about. I'm glad you had willing spirits. I am a part of a support group for women with chronic pain issues/diseases and the number who are bored to death saddens me. They have over their lives learned no practical skills and many have no idea of how to entertain themselves. I make suggestions like doing puzzles, knitting, crocheting, sewing, embroidery, any kind of craft.... and they have no interest, even in learning. How would they as "modern" women have survived even only going back to the 1890's when my grandmother was born. They would be like Kass's chickens, naked!

In the spring, maybe before, I'm going to be starting a class for high schoolers & jr higher's so they can learn some hand sewing skills. I'm gathering scissors & fabric & making kits with hopes that at least a half a dozen are interested. My son & his wife host a youth group each week in their home. They started with 10 and now have 40-60 each week and they feed them a full meal. The difficult situations many of them come from are heartbreaking.

I can also teach them crochet but I'll have to find a volunteer for the knit group. I keep working on my granddaughters, but they know what to do, they just need time to practice. And my daughter sews so they have a machine or two at home.

Thanks, Lisa, for maybe planting some needed seeds in their hearts & minds. ❤️
Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

When they eliminated Home Ec from public schools so many years ago, they robbed children of the opportunity to learn to sew and cook. And now we see that today's adults don't know anything about either. Most people are helpless to even sew on a button when it falls off their made-in-China clothing. And so many meals are eaten out that the kitchens in new houses are built smaller and smaller. They have lost their importance.

The same can be said for woodworking and auto shop that used to be taught in high school, but no longer is. It's such a shame.

I know that sewing isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but they should at least have the chance to find that out. Kudos to those that take the time to expose others to the joy we have in making things.