Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 12-06-2016, 05:34 AM

I didn't learn a lot in the typical home Ec class. But the year I was a senior we had a new building (I was in one with K-12 until then!). The HomeEc room wasn't done so we found any vacant room. She taught us macramé (in 1970 was very popular) and crewel work. I took off - found my niche so to say. My mother was(is) a perfectionist. And she sewed and made beautiful things. I couldn't meet up to her standards so went to embroidery, counted cross stitch, hardanger etc. By the time I was 50 and we went on the road, my arthritis prevented me from continue stitching. so I got a machine and started sewing quilts (momma didn't do those!!) I ended up teaching her needlework and she showed me tricks on the machine. I still wish I could do more hand sewing but love playing with fabrics now. Anything to be creative.
DH knows that it is my therapy and leaves me alone!
Old 12-06-2016, 06:25 AM

Wow, you did this with Sewbizgirl's technique? Terrific job, Libster. I went through my files and these are from Boom 12, Short and Sweet.
Originally Posted by Libster
Here's my finished QAYG from, I think, about Boom 10 maybe? Sorry the picture is so bad, it's dark and raining again. I backed it with TOT Cream flannel. I think my daughter will like it. It's just outline quilting, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Hey, it is DONE!

Last edited by Janice McC; 12-06-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:29 AM

Beautiful, Jaba. I love the green sashing you chose. Look forward to seeing it finished!
Originally Posted by jaba
I totally understand terriamn, sometimes it's just fun. I tell hubby that I'm just trying to put a little spark in....he just laughs Love your blocks all together, they look great.
Made a few more blocks, came up with this and now thinking about a final border. Had enough fabric with what was sent back to me, thank you ladies! [ATTACH=CONFIG]563222[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]563223[/ATTACH]Colors are off, the sashing is a blended olive green and used the focus fabric for the setting squares.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 AM

I'm sorry to hear your feelings were hurt and I understand why. Tell him he hurt your feelings if you think that will mean anything to him. In the alternative, accept that he didn't mean to hurt your feelings and he was (temporarily) a clod. It's your bliss, not his.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
...And speaking of hubbys... The other night after I had been enjoying quilting most of the day he said to me, "I don't know how you can do that all day, every day." Like I was obsessed. First of all, I do NOT sew all day every day. Most days, yes, but never all day. A few hours here and a few there... His comment was so negative that I just couldn't shake it off. What does he care? Funny but I didn't feel like sewing for a day or two after that. It just knocked the wind out of my sails. I just don't get why he needed to make that comment about something I was happy doing. I've been sewing for decades! What do you do when someone you love disparages how you choose to spend your time?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 AM

Maybe this is a better picture of my Short & Sweet quilt. A little more light anyway. It is made with SewBiz' method. I decided to make it bigger so I had to make more blocks for it. Still only took me about a week from start to finish. I love the way it drapes too.
Attached Thumbnails 101_0270-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Libster; 12-06-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

LOL, love how the QAYG is now known here as the 'SewBiz Technique'.... Its not mine. I merely 'splained it!

Thanks for your kind words, Janice, re: hubby temporarily being a clod. He just doesn't get my bliss.

Libster thank you for showing us your quilt in good lighting. It is gorgeous. I see blocks I love in there... some the same as in my quilt. Tonight is my quilt group meeting/Christmas party and I am bringing my completed Boom quilt to show them. I know they will DIE when they see it! Our leader wants us to swap F8ths and do a boom quilt among our group members, so we are hoping my quilt will be the persuader.

TG, it's cool you were taught handwork in home ec! Perhaps because they didn't have the fleet of sewing machines set up yet? I actually taught myself to sew on a machine my Dad had bought for my Mom, but Mom didn't use. For a decade I thought it was a table in her bedroom! One day when I was 11 or 12 I opened it up, found the manual, and followed step by step how to thread it and sew. Started sewing little Christmas ornaments and clothing for my troll dolls. I loved using a sewing machine.... and never got over it! By the time I went into Home Ec class, I already was experienced with a sewing machine and had made several dresses for my little sister to wear to kindergarten. The other girls were making a plain square apron, and I was sewing complex little dresses, with set in sleeves and gathers, LOL. I'm so glad the teacher let me sew what I wanted. I would have been so bored otherwise.

I didn't do as well in cooking class... just not as interested or motivated!

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 12-06-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 AM

You may have "only" 'splained it Lucy, or should that be Ricky?, but I understood it and I hadn't with some other tuts I had seen. Yup, your technique in my way of thinking. Also, forgive me for the 'clod' comment. People who know me know better than to ask my opinion on anything bc they know I will almost always say exactly what I think. Hence the comment. An hour after I posted that I was sitting looking out at the birds having a go at the feeder when it hit me that perhaps I shouldn't have said that. Oops.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
LOL, love how the QAYG is now known here as the 'SewBiz Technique'.... Its not mine. I merely 'splained it!

Thanks for your kind words, Janice, re: hubby temporarily being a clod. He just doesn't get my bliss.

Libster thank you for showing us your quilt in good lighting. It is gorgeous. I see blocks I love in there... some the same as in my quilt. Tonight is my quilt group meeting/Christmas party and I am bringing my completed Boom quilt to show them. I know they will DIE when they see it! Our leader wants us to swap F8ths and do a boom quilt among our group members, so we are hoping my quilt will be the persuader.

TG, it's cool you were taught handwork in home ec! Perhaps because they didn't have the fleet of sewing machines set up yet? I actually taught myself to sew on a machine my Dad had bought for my Mom, but Mom didn't use. For a decade I thought it was a table in her bedroom! One day when I was 11 or 12 I opened it up, found the manual, and followed step by step how to thread it and sew. Started sewing little Christmas ornaments and clothing for my troll dolls. I loved using a sewing machine.... and never got over it! By the time I went into Home Ec class, I already was experienced with a sewing machine and had made several dresses for my little sister to wear to kindergarten. The other girls were making a plain square apron, and I was sewing complex little dresses, with set in sleeves and gathers, LOL. I'm so glad the teacher let me sew what I wanted. I would have been so bored otherwise.

I didn't do as well in cooking class... just not as interested or motivated!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:39 AM

A fine quilt, Libster. I'm about to add it to the completed quilts in the gallery. Yay,Libster.
Originally Posted by Libster
Maybe this is a better picture of my Short & Sweet quilt. A little more light anyway. It is made with SewBiz' method. I decided to make it bigger so I had to make more blocks for it. Still only took me about a week from start to finish. I love the way it drapes too.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:05 AM

Ladies, if you haven't checked out the finished quilt gallery yet, you should do it. There's some good looking quilts hanging out in there. You know, we ain't half bad at this Boom deal, are we?!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:23 PM

I went and looked at the completed album and their are more there than I thought, great job ladies. I noticed I must not have posted my space quilt for Hedge I think boom 16. Here it is. [ATTACH=CONFIG]563292[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1196.jpg