Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 08-16-2016, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I'm old fashioned... I would have a sticky note taped to the bookcase where the F8 live that says Opal - 2 months Topaz 3 months and they'd be in separate little basket neighborhoods. However, I'm only in 1 group so I'm good to go
I find being in only one group helps me keep things straight as well. With a new house, a new job, and a new teenage driver (oldest DS passed his test yesterday), I need all the help I can get. ������

Last edited by mollymunchkin; 08-16-2016 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Auto correct nonsense
Old 08-16-2016, 09:55 PM

Moonwork, one time, several booms back one of the f8s in my care completely disappeared. And my system is much like yours. One at a time, don't let them play together, etc but that f8, difergies I believe, never did show back up. I still wonder about that! Best laid plans and all that.
Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Ha... I would never have more than 1 out at a time just in case they started a riot and wanted to be mixed together. I have had f8's that would go together beautifully and I had to be extra careful to not let them get too close together.

I actually do have a method. I have gallon baggies that I put each f8 into. I take out only one f8 and read any special requests that were sent with it....(sorry but if a request was posted but not included in the f8 I can't keep track of those requests and they could be overlooked). I go through my stash and find colors that will work with the f8 regardless of what I want to make... I put all of them into the gallon baggie.

Once I start working on the f8, I finish it completely. I take a photo of it and keep track of them in a "boom" folder in my computer listed by each Boom and who it is for.

Then I start all over again.

My biggest fear is mis placing a f8 from someone so I am OCD about who sent what. Solidarity confinement for them.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:48 AM

I start with the two month group. When I take a F8 out, I match fabrics, cut it out, make it, measure, take a photo, and put it back into it's little baggie marked with the owner's name. It goes into a gallon bag clearly marked with the 2 month group's name. Then I post a picture to my album. I label the pic with the owner's name and the name of the block. Then I post the pic here.
So far, I've only had 1 finished block go awry. I was using priority envelopes for my return envelope. As the postal clerk weighed my finished blocks for return postage, 1 block disappeared. Talk about a heart attack! Luckily, the owner used the same fabric for both groups, so I had some scraps left plus a little help from friends with scraps. Now, I carefully conceal my $6.80 in cash and seal that sucker up tightly at home. That is a sick feeling when you know you made a block and it's not there when they get to Janice. I stick strictly to my routine now and all goes well.
Each person will work out a routine that works for them. Main thing is.....just have fun with it.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:56 AM

I went to the Old Man River Quilt Show in Vicksburg last night and stopped in a new to me quilt shop. Bought entirely too much stuff but found a gallon bag of scraps with colors I know I need for the swap. Now the long wait for the F8 begins. Thank you for the hints on how to organize everything, ladies. Do we post the finished blocks as soon as they are done or is there a grand reveal?
Old 08-17-2016, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94
I went to the Old Man River Quilt Show in Vicksburg last night and stopped in a new to me quilt shop. Bought entirely too much stuff but found a gallon bag of scraps with colors I know I need for the swap. Now the long wait for the F8 begins. Thank you for the hints on how to organize everything, ladies. Do we post the finished blocks as soon as they are done or is there a grand reveal?
We love them just as soon as you can make them. That also helps avoid duplicates from someone else. Duplicates are acceptable though, each person will use different fabrics.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:42 AM

Great question! You may post your pix whenever you like. Most people try to post relatively soon after they make a block so that others here can see what they've made and not duplicate a pattern. A few don't post blocks at all due to computer/photo issues. However, don't concern yourself too much about that. It's happened many times that someone makes a block while another is making it. Neither Boomer should change their block. Absolutely not necessary. We TRY to avoid duplications but they do happen and that's perfectly ok. It's all part of the swap experience besides, similar blocks will still likely have differing fabrics in them. And an fyi for everyone, I will TRY to post pix in the gallery within a few days of you posting them here. However, when everyone really gets into their F8s, it can be very hard to keep up with it as it's a multi-step process and I'm the only one doing it. Plus, I have blocks to make as well so bear with me. The most reliable place to look for pix of the newest blocks is on the thread.

[QUOTE=ibex94;7629179....Do we post the finished blocks as soon as they are done or is there a grand reveal?[/QUOTE]
Old 08-17-2016, 05:50 AM

OMGosh...I keep forgetting about that! I can remember counting and recounting and recounting the blocks and my gosh, it was just one short, no matter how many times I counted. And as careful as I am with the F8s, I'm obsessive about the blocks so no two packages are ever open in front of me at the same time. Never. I open them individually, count them, check for postage, log the count and the postage and return them immediately to their original package. That's why I always ask that everyone put their name where I can see it on the outside of the pkt along with the block owner's name. It's MUCH easier to spot which f8 or block is missing. Usually the ones that "go missing" have simply fallen on the floor out of sight. I've learned not to panic but still my stomach isn't right until I locate the missing one!

Originally Posted by Libster
I start with the two month group. When I take a F8 out, I match fabrics, cut it out, make it, measure, take a photo, and put it back into it's little baggie marked with the owner's name. It goes into a gallon bag clearly marked with the 2 month group's name. Then I post a picture to my album. I label the pic with the owner's name and the name of the block. Then I post the pic here.
So far, I've only had 1 finished block go awry. I was using priority envelopes for my return envelope. As the postal clerk weighed my finished blocks for return postage, 1 block disappeared. Talk about a heart attack! Luckily, the owner used the same fabric for both groups, so I had some scraps left plus a little help from friends with scraps. Now, I carefully conceal my $6.80 in cash and seal that sucker up tightly at home. That is a sick feeling when you know you made a block and it's not there when they get to Janice. I stick strictly to my routine now and all goes well.
Each person will work out a routine that works for them. Main thing is.....just have fun with it.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:56 AM

Molly...teenage driver? Oh good grief! I remember those days well. I always felt it was shortly after they passed their tests that my boys (and most teens) were the most dangerous. They passed their tests and had just enough experience to think they knew what they were doing. Few people realize how much they don't know until they've driven for a couple of years IMHO.
Originally Posted by mollymunchkin
I find being in only one group helps me keep things straight as well. With a new house, a new job, and a new teenage driver (oldest DS passed his test yesterday), I need all the help I can get. ������
Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 AM

So, the day is here. 19 packages are at my front door awaiting the carrier. They're all set to go Whew! I'm glad to get them out of here as the clock is ticking...I've got blocks to make. FYI, despite the early mailing, due dates will remain the same.

Last edited by Janice McC; 08-17-2016 at 06:03 AM. Reason: punctuation - enough with the exclamation point Janice
Old 08-17-2016, 06:15 AM

It's so funny how different we all are in working with the boom fabrics.

When they get her I'll open all the opals first pet them tell them how pretty they are you know boost their little ego as best as I can and consider fabric requests. All of the white and wow requests go in one basket the rest I go through my stash and pull the different options and they go into a different basket. Anything I need to shop for goes back into the gallon baggie. Then I'll rinse and repeat with the Topaz group.

Once I make them they go on the design board for pictures and there they hang out waiting for more Opal friends to talk to. They way I label the pictures they are easy to tell who's are who's like this picture of Terriamn's block from last boom[ATTACH=CONFIG]556112[/ATTACH]

I have the photo labeled and if you hover over it I named the file too then. I like being able to look at all of them at once as I work on the others. [ATTACH=CONFIG]556113[/ATTACH]

Worst case I can refer to the weebly site for reminders.

Also Ibex you can post pictures when ever it suites you best some of us post them as each one is finished, others wait till they have a few done still others wait till they are all done. Still others like to tease us with progress picture......I'm looking at you Kass, we love them when ever you are able to share them.
Attached Thumbnails moonwork-boot-scoot-boogie-.jpg   terri-granmothers-fan.jpg   boom-16-completed-blocks-.jpg