Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open!  :) >
  • BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

• BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

Old 12-24-2016, 05:24 AM

Im so sorry TG....falls are so easy with us older people...It sounds painful but hopefully she will be up and about soon. I wish I had my mom with us still... My 86 year old sister has chosen to have her left hip replaced next Friday...She said it cant be any worse than the pain she has in it now but its scary.. Prayers to everyone this holiday season...hug the ones you can be with, call the ones you cant see...I am SO lucky to have this group as a support system when I get down.. you are ALL like family to me! Merry Christmas to ALL of you and yours!!
    Old 12-24-2016, 06:46 AM

Jaba, do you have a hot water bottle or rice pack. Have had the same thing happen to me several times. I alternated between the heat and cold and it seemed to help. Sure hope you are feeling getter today.

Libster it's always fun working with florals.

TG so glad you can be with your Mom and praying for a complete recovery for her

personally i can't stand the taste of beer and darn good thing or I'd weigh a ton.

Last edited by terriamn; 12-24-2016 at 06:48 AM.
    Old 12-24-2016, 07:03 AM

I can't drink beer b/c of a wheat allergy, but the regular type beers (coors, Budweiser, ect...) always tasted foul to me (like I imagined salty urine would taste) but the European beers tasted good (at least I remember them as good from many, many years ago)
    Old 12-24-2016, 07:33 AM

I'm ready for the whirlwind to start. We will be 10 people staying in our house in and out over two weeks. My artist son arrives from San Francisco today joining my huband, youngest son and me. I'm going to get his advice on your blocks. My daughter from Omaha and my niece (10)and nephew (14) from Virginia arrive on the 28th. My daughter's significant other and his two kids (5 and 7) arrive on the 1st. I know, I know it's too much but My SIL needs a break as she is going through chemo/radiation and how could I refuse my daughter's request?

I'm assigning bedrooms and bathrooms and reading the riot act (buying a kitchen timer) to my youngest son so he won't take his usual 30 minute shower and use up all the hot water. I froze a lasagna and Cincinnati Chili but my husband and two of our kids and significant other have told me they will do all the cooking and baking.

The younger kids are the most joyful kids we have ever met but my niece likes to be busy. I have a quilting project waiting in the wings for her, just in case. The nephew wants to jump off Sunset Cliffs but since someone died there two weeks ago we nixed that idea. We have a zoo trip, aquarium trip, legoland, Surfing lessons or boogie boarding in 60 degree water brr, hiking at the lagoon, hiking at Torrey Pines state park and visit to the local national monument and pickleball planned. Some of the kids will be sleeping in my sewing room.

Last time my niece and youngest (20) were in the same house she sat outside his door until he got up. This was challenging as she was on east coast time and he is on west coast time. He has planned to cook or bake with her.

My husband suggested since wacky tobaccy has been legalized in CA we should consider making some magic brownies for dinner dessert in hopes everyone will go to sleep early at night. No we would never do that but I have to admit I'm tempted.

Bring it on!

Have wonderful, safe and happy holidays.
    Old 12-24-2016, 07:51 AM
    Power Poster

Sorry about your mom's fall TG... it will be a comfort for her to have you there with her.

Joan, hope your sister's surgery goes well. We have my husband's Uncle Eddie with us this Christmas (he came up from Louisiana for the Virginia trip that wasn't!) and his hips are now full of arthritis. He can't walk far and I've been trying to talk him into getting hip replacements. He loves to travel and sightsee, and this arthritis is really hindering him now. I know lots of people who have had and loved their hip replacements. A whole bunch of my students in my Silver Sneakers exercise classes have replaced hips. They are amazing.

Jaba, hope your shoulder is better. Sometimes it's just the way we sleep that causes shoulders to go 'out'. I swear by ice and Ibuprophen (if you can take it) to bring down the inflamation and help with pain.

Hope you all have a peaceful day today, preparing for the "big day" tomorrow...
    Old 12-24-2016, 08:13 AM

I wish I could make everyone better for the holidays.
    Old 12-24-2016, 09:27 AM

TG, hope you can convince your Mother to come to Florida and re-coop when she is ready, she might like the nice warm weather. It is an attitude adjustment for me and hubby too, we're so use to the cold and snow, seems weird to be in 80 degree weather
    Shoulder is getting a little better, at least I can type today. Not able to move it backwards or up yet and lifting anything is a no no, even a coffee cup. The heating pad has been a life saver. Hubby dusted and vacuumed this morning and he will most likely be doing most of the cooking tonight. Deep fried shrimp on the menu in honor of my Mother, she started it many years ago because my boys loved it so much. Hoping I can get dressed and not be in my robe, thank heavens it's my oldest son and family that are coming.
    We'll have Christmas again the middle of January when youngest son comes. 2 grand daughters and a great grand daughter will be here too.
    Wishing all of you health, wealth and happiness. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
    Old 12-24-2016, 12:49 PM

MJP, forget them sounds like YOU are going to need those brownies!!! I got exhausted just reading all that and a little short of breath thinking about all those people breathing my air!
    Old 12-24-2016, 02:50 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas
    I wish I could make everyone better for the holidays.
    Just that wish makes me feel better. Thank you mjp...
    Old 12-24-2016, 04:53 PM

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas! Those that are ill, hope you'll have family around to help make life brighter.