Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open!  :) >
  • BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

• BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

Old 12-27-2016, 12:29 PM

Hello there, Boomers. I'm still not caught up on all the posts. I am way under the weather, in bed watching movies with the pibble for company. She's the world's best canine snuggler. Great snuggles aside, it's been over 24 hours so I hope it lets up soon. I'll be back when I'm more alive.
    Old 12-27-2016, 01:12 PM

Feel better soon. Not fun to be sick. I hate being sick waste of life! I have so much to do can't be in bed. Rest up Happy New Year.
    Old 12-27-2016, 02:05 PM

Sewbiz good news on your insurance. My little 6 hour visit in Emergency took care of our deductible also and we go April to April so it will still cover my colonoscopy that is coming up

Haven't chose between the beer fabric and the wavy yet. What I don't choose this time will be for the next one.

Janice hope hubby is pampering you, has your son already left? Feel better soon.
    Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM

Sorry you're feeling puny, Janice. Make everyone pamper you until you're back up and at 'em. My daughter has been down with the flu for over a week now. She is beginning to feel a little better. Being sick is the pits any time, but 'specially during the holidays. Get better friend.
    Old 12-27-2016, 03:34 PM

Hope everyone gets better soon! Its going around at work too. I was off today so hopefully its dying down there. I agree being sick is for the birds, esp at holidays!!
    Old 12-27-2016, 09:56 PM
    Power Poster

My theory is that we get sick more at the holidays because we are consuming much more sugar than normal. And not eating many veggies. Sugar really weakens the immunities.

For those with colds, eat your dark green leafy veggies. Nothing boosts your B vitamins (and your immunity) like turnip greens cooked in chicken broth! I'm sure I've said this before... If you don't live where you can get fresh greens, you can always buy them frozen and already chopped for you. Yum yum. Eat up. And leave the sugar alone for a while.

I also like Echinacea tea to help strengthen immunity against airborne sicknesses.

Janice, don't know what's wrong but I hope you are feeling better soon. Sometimes we just really need some extra rest.

We are still in Memphis, going home tomorrow morning. Memphis has a brand new IKEA store! Yay, yay and double yay! We went twice! Today I bought a shelving unit and the boxes that fit into it, and when I get home I am going to start organizing my piles of fabric and stuff into these shelves. I got magazine files to put some of my quilting books in, and ALL of my loose quilt patterns. And I got some flat boxes with 3" dividers that will be just stellar at holding my 2.5" cut candy squares. I'm so excited at getting my sewing space looking better and having things where I can find them. They also had some really nice quality solid colored fabric that was extra wide (55") and only $2.99 a yard! I got white, red and a nice muslin for $1.99. I love IKEA.
    Old 12-28-2016, 04:46 AM

I bought green tea to try and build up resistance against the crud. Absolutely hate the taste and wondering what I can mix it with to get it down. Going to try and refrigerate a cup and mix it with a large bottle of water and see if that works.
    Old 12-28-2016, 05:20 AM

My favorite sipping tea is Earl Grey; I just love the aroma and taste. Green tea is so beneficial but it's not my favorite either. I just drink it up and get it over with - like medicine - although it doesn't taste as bad to me as it used to. As with regular teas, don't wring the bag or let it steep too long as it becomes bitter and more disagreeable to drink.

Originally Posted by terriamn
    I bought green tea to try and build up resistance against the crud. Absolutely hate the taste and wondering what I can mix it with to get it down. Going to try and refrigerate a cup and mix it with a large bottle of water and see if that works.
    Old 12-28-2016, 05:53 AM

Sewbizgirl, you are so right about sugar. I gave up all added sugar and all sweets except for fruit nearly a year ago but this holiday I indulged a bit, more than my sugar-free system could handle. I developed, um, "intestinal distress" that's just subsiding after three days. I'm worn out from doing nothing, eating nothing and feeling generally horrible. I'm lucky it was just my digestive tract that suffered. My youngest brought the flu with him but I avoided that one, thank goodness. In any case, today is looking much better, I'm hungry, and thinking about quilting. Woo, hoo.

I'm sorry to hear so many in the group had health issues, too. Let's all be good to ourselves these next few days. 2017 is almost here and we've got a Boom to start!

Two month group, at this point, you should consider whether you wish to "double up" on your blocks. It is definitely NOT required or expected, but since we are a small group, 9 right now, it's a way to get some additional blocks even if we add no more members. Those who wish to double up would send two f8s and make two blocks for each person who also wishes to double up. We can have some who choose to double and some who don't. I'll just need to know who wants to double up so I can calculate exactly how many F8s each person will need to send. We did this in Boom 17 and it went smoothly, with some opting to double but some boomers not.

If you are interested in doubling upon the 2 month group, please post here to let me know or pm or email me.
    Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 AM

I would like to double up but prefer my 2 blocks to have different fabrics used in them