Boom 19 - Autumn

Old 11-02-2017, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janice McC
Uh, oh! Are you short a block then, Sewbiz? Terri, did you receive one of Sewbiz's blocks? They could have been switched by me or even within the packages before they were sent to me. Just checked the gallery and a pic of that block doesn't show up so I imagine it was either made by LJDugas or Bootsy. Unless it was someone's bonus block. There were several people who didn't put their names on packages or who they were for. Those darn florals were confusing to me so they might have been to others as well.
Terri and I both sent in random florals... so it was easy to confuse our fabrics. It was made by Joan. I found it in my gallery but it's Terri's fabric so I will send it on to her. NO PROBLEM!

I am short a block in the Summer group, tho. Will email you, Janice.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:54 AM

OK. I thought you'd only looked at Summer so I didn't check the autumn gallery. If you are short one, maybe it's in Terri's. Will wait for your email.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Terri and I both sent in random florals... so it was easy to confuse our fabrics. It was made by Joan. I found it in my gallery but it's Terri's fabric so I will send it on to her. NO PROBLEM!

I am short a block in the Summer group, tho. Will email you, Janice.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:17 AM

I made the block but I cant tell you who its for. It shows up in Terris and Sews group on boomswaps. I thought sews was a darker green than this one..I could have messed them up when putting them in the baggys! Sorry if it was me!
Old 11-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joanelizbay
I made the block but I cant tell you who its for. It shows up in Terris and Sews group on boomswaps. I thought sews was a darker green than this one..I could have messed them up when putting them in the baggys! Sorry if it was me!
No prob! I think we got it straightened out... It was really easy to confuse our florals.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:46 AM

Ok, all figured out! One block was inadvertently put in a ziplock for Sew but it is Terri's (no, I do NOT check each and every packet) and there is no missing block. Everything was there after all. Woo hoo!
Old 11-02-2017, 02:55 PM

I have a question for all you QAYG quilters. what type batting do you use and do you use a walking foot?? Ive done one but not sure what kind of batting I used. I think Im going to do it on my animal prints!
Old 11-02-2017, 03:13 PM

Yes I use a walking foot, I don't fmq well, but that is an option too. I use the 80/20 or 90/10 cotton batting at wal mart, it has around a 9 inch quilting space so if I don't want to heavily quilt (which is most of the time) I don't have too.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:14 PM

My usual quilting space is a little wider then the width of my hand.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

For QAYG I most commonly use a walking foot and gently curved lines. I also put the hopping foot on and FMQ stipple or whatever, if the design calls for it.

I use Hobbs 80/20 batting (80 percent cotton) which works like a dream. I have used my fluffy 5 oz. poly batting which gives a puffier, lighter quilt, but it's harder to work with than the 80/20. I quilt about 2-3" apart on 80/20, just because I like the way it looks. The poly can be quilted much farther apart... like 4-5".

I've been going through my blocks from this group and Summer, just want to say how much I love them. The photos we post never do them justice... they are so great in person. From what I have in both groups I should be able to make 4 donation lap quilts for the hospital, which is awesome! Thank you all so much! We are going to bring joy to those who need it most.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:56 PM

Joan, I use Warm & Natural cotton batting and flannel backing for my QAYGs. I use my regular foot on my machine because I usually just do SITD. I'm using my workhorse machine, a Kenmore that's about 25 years old. It uses Janome parts (the few times I've had to have them). I love this machine. Give it a good cleaning once in a while and it just purrs right along. The cleaning is necessary after using flannel.
Once you get the first QAYG under your belt, you're going to love this method! I sure do.