Boom 19 - Autumn

Old 11-11-2017, 12:13 PM

Just a quick fyi, EVERYONE will be sending F8s this next round. If anyone plans to skirt the rules about fabric size, please reconsider or plan to have your fabric returned unswapped to you at your own expense. Boom 19 was an F8 hot mess. While the majority of Boomers sent what was required, a large number of people sent what they felt like sending, ignoring the size requirements. Unfortunately, I didn't learn of it until the fabric starting arriving and I began receiving pms and emails. I never thought it necessary to double check F8s! I rely on swappers to fulfill their end of the swap. But instead, I had unhappy recipients of the small pieces as well as comments from one person who seemed to think it my job to accommodate her and her fabric shortages. Yeah, not a good start to the swap. So anyway, although I appreciate MJP's offer to take small pieces, it will be unnecessary as I expect everyone to abide by the rules. You can always save off-sized pieces for your own use or to share in side-swaps not handled through me.

As to how to cut F8s, we can discuss that later but at this point, F8s are considered to be pre-washed, de-selvaged, pressed and cut into pieces between 18x11 inches to 18x10 inches, although most should come out around 18x10.5. Nothing smaller than 18x10 will be accepted. Seriously.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:18 PM

MJP sounds like you have a wonderful BIL and very deserving of one of your beautiful quilts.

I am sad. Sometime my dh does weird things like put the Christmas tree up this morning while I was sleeping. Other times he is incredibly sweet. Years ago he bought me a Rowena iron. He went onto quiltingboard without my knowledge and researched what everyone had written and surprised me with it. It’s been slowly dying and finally bit the dust this AM. Using an Oreck and it is the heaviest darn thing and turns off immediately after I stop pressing.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janice McC
As to how to cut F8s, we can discuss that later but at this point, F8s are considered to be pre-washed, de-selvaged, pressed and cut into pieces between 18x11 inches to 18x10 inches, although most should come out around 18x10.5. Nothing smaller than 18x10 will be accepted. Seriously.
This sounds good to me, Janice! Thanks for the clarification.

Terri, sorry your hubby put up the Christmas tree without you. It sounds like a Venus/Mars thing to me... Men just don't get it sometimes and it hurts our feelings. My husband has done the same, meaning well. Once our neighbor's wife had surgery and I decided to bring them a meal once she got out of the hospital. I made a casserole and baked it, and then salad and dessert and put those in the fridge. Then I went to get a shower so I could take them over before suppertime. While I was in the shower, my husband came in from outside, saw the casserole sitting there, and carried it over to them! Just the casserole, as if it was his idea and he made it! When I realized what had happened I ran over with the rest of their meal and apologized. I was FUMING MAD that he butted in on what I was trying to do, but he just didn't understand why I was upset! Venus/Mars. Likewise, he (who does NOT cook) will come along and turn off a burner of something I am simmering.... or dump a pot of broth down the drain that I am saving for some other recipe. Too much help! So Terri, you are not alone! We've all got men from Mars.

At least your iron story is nice! <3
Old 11-11-2017, 01:26 PM

This is the way I do it. Wash the yardage, dry, press then remove the ENTIRE SELVAGE, both sides. Then I measure across the WOF and see what I've got left. If it's 40 inches or above, I measure down 18 inches in length, Cut it then sub-cut into into four equal pieces. If after washing and selvage removal the remaining WOF is less than 40, I would cut three 11 inch width pieces off for the swap and save the remaining small sized piece for my own use. I would not send it to another swapper.

Also remember that that the yardage shrinks in length too so I'd buy a couple of extra inches per yard needed to accommodate that shrinkage as well.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
...For F8 sizing... Would it be okay to cut our yardage at 18" intervals, and then remove selvedges and cut the remaining piece in half, then half again, vertically? With prewashing and removing selvedges you end up with about 40" of width, which would make our F8ths 18"x10" or 10.5" if we are lucky.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Sewbiz i wasn’t upset that dh put up the tree himself but that he put it up so early. Good grief it’s way to early
Old 11-11-2017, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by terriamn
Sewbiz i wasn’t upset that dh put up the tree himself but that he put it up so early. Good grief it’s way to early
I was thinking so too... I guess he felt Christmassy! I don't like the tree up so long the ornaments get covered in dust!
Old 11-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Terri and Sewbiz, I have a neighbor right down the road who has already put up her tree, covered the entire front of the house with lights and has several of those blown up figures that light up out in the front yard. They are turned on at dusk every night, all night long. This began Nov 1st. All I can say is...Thank heavens for trees and I'm so glad I don't have to pay her power bill! LOL It's a little too early for me. Thanksgiving is not even here yet.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Libster
Terri and Sewbiz, I have a neighbor right down the road who has already put up her tree, covered the entire front of the house with lights and has several of those blown up figures that light up out in the front yard. They are turned on at dusk every night, all night long. This began Nov 1st. All I can say is...Thank heavens for trees and I'm so glad I don't have to pay her power bill! LOL It's a little too early for me. Thanksgiving is not even here yet.
I get sad when stores and individuals skip over Thanksgiving and go right to celebrating Christmas. But then, I also hate seeing the Valentine's Day stuff come out the day after Christmas, too.

Today I was learning my way through some wide sashing QAYG. It wasn't as bad as I'd expected. My board friend Givio and I did a BOM together, each making two of each block and then swapping the extras, so we each had 24. We made the blocks with our recycled shirt fabrics! I planned to finish mine up to give to my son on his birthday. Well, I'm making good progress and really like this quilt. Here is what I have together so far:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583738[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583739[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3120-small-.jpg   img_3121-small-.jpg  
Old 11-12-2017, 04:53 AM

Looks great Sewbiz!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:00 AM

That wide sashing is looking good! I'm just now getting the hang of the narrow sashing. Y'all are gonna' make me learn something else new, aren't you? LOL