Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >
  • Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

• Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 03-05-2018, 07:59 AM

Quilt addict. I was on a moratorium last year. Only buying what I needed to finish stuff. I did use up some of my stash.

I don’t think my stash is as big as most. Three 12 foot shelves. Marisa ( from last boom) has given me about a third of what I have as she had more than she’ll use in her lifetime. Friends also tend to gift me fabric when they travel. I have some South American and Moroccan fabric. I really had a lot of fun buying fabric, but except for the farm fabric everything was less than a yard. Since I mostly do applique and booms this works well. I thought I’d buy boom fabric but nothing jumped out at me.
    Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]590266[/ATTACH]Ok, here is a quilt I finished from Boom 18 mixed with my Kaffe Fassett fabrics that were in another project that I just did not want to finish. I used what I had made from that swap and mixed with the blocks and put all on point. I do like how it turned out finally. I did a triangle border around center. Daughter quilted it, it was for her, and used the leftover strips I cut (still have several) for the binding. Whew, all done.
    Attached Thumbnails boom-18-kaffe-fasset-ufo-finish.jpg  
    Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 AM
    Power Poster

Pretty quilt, Quiltermomma!
    Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Mariposa, thank you for my pretty block!
    I'm glad you like it, but an error has been spotted. I'll be fixing it today.
    Old 03-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas
    After the 6th cruisin quilter store I definitely had had enough. It was the store closest to me ; Eleanor Burns store Quilt in a Day. We just bought the blocks the store designed. Her store is in no danger of going out of business. I did budget money for this as we want to keep the quilt stores in business. We used to have 22. Now we have 10. I bought rulers at one store. They were more expensive than online. My husband reminded me to purchase local. I got some sizing, as this was recommended by this group. I got a bit of fabric. Mostly remnants. Two stores gave me a free fat quarter. One of these fabrics is for the boom [ATTACH=CONFIG]590263[/ATTACH]butterfly fabric and one may be used for Kass fabric.

I plan to to make a down on the farm quilt as that was the theme for all these cruisin quilters blocks and my husband has a really funny song: all kinds of trouble brewing down on the farm. It was inspired by the time I had to evacuate (due to fire) my two teen aged boys a very excitable teen aged French exchange boy, two guinea pigs and a rabbit while my DH was in Wisconsin.

The song has troubles like: the dog got bit by a rattlesnake, the cat has got the heaves, cow got out of the pasture and is eating loco weed. Some men from the government went tramping through the hills They never found the cash crop but they’re bustin up the stills. I think it’ll be a funny quilt. I’ve need to figure out how to get the lyrics on the quilt.
    I remeber those fires '03 or '07? we evacuated both times '03 was with 2 preteens, 1 dog, 3 cats, a chinchilla and a pet rat, I put my foot down on the goldfish. Nobody wrote me a song, yours sounds amazing and the quilt will be so much fun. Great fabric finds. I always budgeted and purchased fabric during shop hop week. Will you be doing the south and east county shops next. My favorite there is Rosies because her shop is huge and well stocked, then Cozy because that was the closest one to me and they got me quilting again plus she always has a large selection of batiks which are my favorite.
    Old 03-05-2018, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
    Nana I really like my block, thank you. The others are great too. This is so much fun. I talked with my sister yesterday and told her I was doing another swap. She just doesn't get it.

No shop hopping for me, I am trying to stay on the fabric moratorium this year since I have fabric in boxes in three rooms, it has to get organized and used!

Update on my biopsy, it was positive for stage 0 DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ). So it was found very early and is non invasive. My oncology appointment is not until 22nd. So I am working on my list of questions for that.

In the mean time these are the blocks that finished in the last few days.
    Your blocks are wonderful, It sounds like your bad news was caught very early I'll continue to hope for the very best for you. 3 rooms of fabric??? wow good luck getting through that, I have more than I need so I too am trying to work with what I have sometimes I'm more successful than others. trouble happens when I don't have the right shade of a color to go with what I have going on. but I'm working on it.
    Old 03-05-2018, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]590266[/ATTACH]Ok, here is a quilt I finished from Boom 18 mixed with my Kaffe Fassett fabrics that were in another project that I just did not want to finish. I used what I had made from that swap and mixed with the blocks and put all on point. I do like how it turned out finally. I did a triangle border around center. Daughter quilted it, it was for her, and used the leftover strips I cut (still have several) for the binding. Whew, all done.
    Bright fun quilt QM it really makes me smile.
    Old 03-05-2018, 02:11 PM

QuiltAddict sorry to hear if your diagnosis. Just googled it and so glad it was caught right away. Sending a big hug
    Old 03-05-2018, 03:11 PM
    Power Poster

MJP, what great song lyrics! Does your hubby write songs professionally?
    Old 03-05-2018, 04:11 PM

Quilt addict thinking of you and while I could wish the biopsy showed nothing, very relieved that when it did show something it was such an early stage.

sewbiz. My husband sings his songs at gigs and usually gets paid but That mostly just pays for the gas it costs to get to the gig. ��.

Billi we did the San Marcos, Vista, Valley Center Fallbrook shops. We have a poway shop and the three others down at the southern end of San Diego, including Rosie’s and Cozy. We usually leave Rosie’s for last as you have the best chance to find anything you couldn’t find at the other shops there.

We evacuated 07. It looked surreal in the backyard, like the terminator movies future scenes. I remember driving on the 5 with fires on both sides. Glad we weren’t as affected last year. It was very high fire hazards . North of us had the lilac fire 2017 and there was another even bigger one they had a very difficult time putting out. We pay for our glorious weather with fires and droughts.