Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >
  • Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

• Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 03-16-2018, 11:35 AM

I just love that little elephant block, and the owls..Im partial to hippy stuff! Still waiting to see the quilt with Abby Road in it!!
    Old 03-16-2018, 11:51 AM
    Power Poster

Love the blocks, D.Henson....

Terri, isn't it fun to quilt the blocks one at a time? I love doing them that way. I'm working on one now, with another 9, 12" blocks (not boom).

What is the name of the shingles vaccine? I saw one of those lawyer ads on TV last night, for a class action lawsuit against a shingles vaccine that actually caused you to get shingles. Must have been the last vaccine.

All the drug ads seem to go like this:
    "New XYZ drug will solve all your problems and is the greatest thing since sliced bread" (followed by warnings about side effects, spoken so fast you can't even tell what they are saying.)

A few months later you see these ads: "If you've been harmed by taking XYZ drug, call Blowhard and Blowhard, attys at law. We will help you get proper compensation."

I guess the only safe thing you can do is not take drugs when they are new. The drug salesmen convince the drs to prescribe the new drugs, and the drs convince you. But who knows what's really is going to happen until something is tried and tested. And I don't care to be the guinea pig.

I get sick very rarely... I'm blessed, I know. I can't even remember the last time I had the flu. What seems to work for me is eating good foods and getting enough sleep. My immune system stays strong that way. And I'm blessed!
    Old 03-16-2018, 02:01 PM

Vaccine is called Recombinant Zoster the old one was Zostavax and it contained live Shingles virus.

Yes it is fun quilting each block separately and if you are doing quilt in the ditch versus ruler work I can see where it would go very quickly. Ruler work is just very slow period. Thought the circles worked perfect on the owls.
    Old 03-16-2018, 02:14 PM
    Power Poster

It was Zostavax that I saw the lawsuit ad for. Live shingles virus! No wonder...
    Old 03-16-2018, 02:22 PM

I am very afraid of live vaccines. I am very susceptible to cold sores and have been taking 1000mg L-Lysine a day for years. Citrus/ Vitamin C - is a trigger for me so I have to be careful what I take. The medical "facts" say that L-Lysine will help with the shingles and I am praying so. Watched my DH have it - UGH!
    Loving the blocks - always creative. - I agree - I want to see more of the past boom quilts!
    Old 03-16-2018, 03:19 PM

I just finished a Boom 16 quilt. I'll take it to church and get a couple of the taller men to hold it up so I can get a picture of it to show. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. Gonna' use it as a Christmas present for my nephew.
    Old 03-16-2018, 03:25 PM

Lysine works on all herpes related viruses, so it should help w/ shingles also.
    Originally Posted by travelinggramma
    I am very afraid of live vaccines. I am very susceptible to cold sores and have been taking 1000mg L-Lysine a day for years. Citrus/ Vitamin C - is a trigger for me so I have to be careful what I take. The medical "facts" say that L-Lysine will help with the shingles and I am praying so. Watched my DH have it - UGH!
    Loving the blocks - always creative. - I agree - I want to see more of the past boom quilts!
    Old 03-16-2018, 03:30 PM

travelinggramma Years ago, I used to use lysine too however I found the evidence isn't good and high doses over a long time may cause renal problems. http://www.berkeleywellness.com/supp...ine-cold-sores Since no one makes a lot of money off of Lysine there is no incentive to do good studies. I wish someone would do a definitive study on this.

Fortunately they developed some new anti virals that work well. Last year valacyclovir was the only drug I took. No OTC, prescriptions, or vitamins just this one. But you have to take it as soon as you feel the cold sores coming on. Two tablets 12 hours apart. That's it. $3 It's made a tremendous difference in the whole cold sore ordeal, mitigating the effects. One of the few drugs that really makes my life better. I find I have to be careful to use sunscreen. Sun seems to trigger or make the sores worse.

I'm with sewbiz girl. Unless is something that's totally groundbreaking I shy away from new drugs. I also think eating well, exercise and sleep helps too but for me its not foolproof. I've got the eating and exercise part nailed but the sleeping part is harder.

Most people have been exposed to herpes but their bodies don't make the cold sores. I also reacted badly to Cytomegalo virus (sp?) Most people get it and have mild cold or no symptoms. I got it and it gave me a form of hepatitus. I spent 9 hours in the emergency room while they tried to figure out what was happening to my liver. They sent me home :" We know something is really wrong with you, but its apparent your not going to die tonight, go to your doctor tomorrow morning". I went and test results had come back and they were found out what it was. the doc said No drug treatment because my immune system is good. The drugs had terrible side effects. So I slowly got better on my own although I still have some fatigue. My husband calls it 80% of where I was but that 80% included teaching two exercise classes, personal training a FallProof client and doing mom's taxes today. Of course now I'm getting ready for a nap.

Everybody is always amazed the doctors didn't give me drugs but that's standard practice in this type of hepatitis, unless your immune compromised. My liver came back to normal without the drugs.

I'm definitely getting the shingles vaccine. There's no research showing either of the things I had would cause shingles but they are all in the same family. I figured if I reacted badly to two of them why take the risk. I wasn't convinced with the old vaccine (and I'm a big vaccine fan) but the new one is actually a huge improvement (Maybe even groundbreaking).

Honestly those lovely, healthy 26 year old bodies are wasted on the youngsters. We'd be so good to those young bodies.... Stay healthy everyone.

I'm working on the summer swap blocks and should be working on your blocks next week.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 03-16-2018 at 03:40 PM.
    Old 03-16-2018, 04:14 PM

Libster can’t wait to see your quilt
    Old 03-16-2018, 05:27 PM

I have 2 more blocks finished. One is for Have4boys and the other one is for QuilterMomma. Hope they like them. QM - I took the picture late in the afternoon and not sure the correct colors are showing up. The 2 cordinating fabrics are a red and green in the Civil War era fabric. They are from the same line so they match very well.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]590986[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]590987[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails bad91d90-6b59-4efa-94bc-aa64da2589b3.jpeg   a73549c4-04d3-4663-91d6-5d1ead8d4c18.jpeg