Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >
  • Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

• Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 AM
    Power Poster

I was thinking about bonus blocks and posted the following message over on Hummingbird. It's a tad early here, but I'm going to share it while I'm thinking about it:

*A request about bonus blocks*:

Please don't make them for me! I do both groups and I ship them together to save on postage costs. The last couple of booms my blocks would not fit into the padded envelope, and I ended up paying more for postage anyway. I'd like to avoid that this time, so please just keep my leftovers and toss them into your scrap box. No need for any extra blocks.

I realize I may have caused the same problem for others, so I am only going to make bonus blocks for those who are in just one group... unless they say they don't want them.

Thanks much, in advance!
    Old 01-27-2018, 08:14 AM

I have gone through everyone's fabrics and requests to kind of assess what my next steps would be. I really enjoyed doing that! I then went through my stash and pulled my usable fabrics that align with color schemes and requests. While they were washing/drying, I made a practice block for one of my favorite fabrics of the bunch. I plan to make a practice block for every block I make and my husband has already claimed the quilt that comes from the practice pieces.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587830[/ATTACH]

The pattern is called "Stack of Stars" from Moda Bake shop. I hope to make the "real" block tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails 39896011632_d8e9994471.jpg  
    Old 01-27-2018, 09:21 AM
    Power Poster

Cool block Maude, and what a great idea to make two blocks and get a bonus quilt out of the deal!

I like those white on white arrows.
    Old 01-27-2018, 09:33 AM

Maude, That’s a good idea! I think I’ll do the same with my practice blocks. Your practice block looks great!!
    Old 01-27-2018, 09:36 AM

Thanks sewbiz girl for the encouragement on piecing. Because you have made charity quilts, you usually get my pieced blocks. I know they can hold up in almost any washing and drying conditions. You are always so supportive with my efforts. Is this boom quilt a charity quilt for you too?

Thanks also for the bonus block tip. I think you always make me a bonus block, which is greatly appreciated. I always feel like I should be reciprocating but most of the time I can barely finish the 19 blocks. I feel much less now guilty now.
    Old 01-27-2018, 09:37 AM

Maude. I do practice blocks too. I have 12 red, black and white Day of the Dead squares that were my practice blocks.
    Old 01-27-2018, 09:55 AM

Besides the obvious accurate cutting, I think the best trick to precise sewing is good pressing and good sizing (starch). When I sew each seam is pressed before the next is sewn, I have completely flat pressed and starched pieces before they ever get near the needle. The other thing that I think helps is drawing my own patterns, or adding up what the sizes should be (not ness what the pattern says) I hate sewing a "scant" 1/4 inch, how much is a "scant"????? I cut my pieces so they have a 1/4 inch seam, that is the mark on my foot, that is what my eye is used to seeing, it takes the guess work out. I love your artsy way of making blocks anyway.
    Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas
    I bought the Craftsy precision piecing class a while ago. My applique is fine but I’m not a confident piecer. Although most of my applique use a background of easy piecing.

The Civil war fabric inspired me, as the applique I usually do won’t fit in that quilt. I’m going to try a Carrie Nation block. It’s only squares but we’ll see how it goes. There are two more blocks with triangles in the class, so I’ll do those too. Then I’ll fulfill my goal of at least three pieced squares. The class has step by step instruction on making a 1/4 inch seam, cutting, piecing and ironing. I’ve even corresponded with the author.

Wish me luck!
    Old 01-27-2018, 09:57 AM

Oh and nothing wrong w/ over sizing and trimming to the right size.
    Old 01-27-2018, 10:54 AM

Kass on all my blocks that ask for 3 7/8 “ etc for triangles and flying geese I always go 4 1/8 much easier to square up the blocks

maude great looking block
    Old 01-27-2018, 11:53 AM

I forgot to add the names on these blocks - so posting again to make it easier for our fearless leader
    Attached Thumbnails joan1.jpg   joan2.jpg