Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 20 Sign-ups Open through 12/31/17* >
  • Boom 20 Sign-ups Open through 12/31/17*

• Boom 20 Sign-ups Open through 12/31/17*

Old 12-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Wow, such beautiful (and fun) fabrics you all have been posting! I've had my fabric for a while, but now I'm having second thoughts! If I go with plan A, it is a fun patriotic print. We'll see!

We are heading out to Salt Lake for a big family Christmas. As everyone gets older you never know how many of these we will have. I am really excited to see my two boys along with the rest of my family. Even my in-laws are going!
    Old 12-19-2017, 08:49 PM

Oh my gosh, such nice fabric popping up. I love reading the comments,...” It’s going to be fun working with this fabric, & can’t wait to play with your fabric...”. I must say, I’m a little nervous to “play” with some of these amazing prints. I don’t want to mess them up. With that being said, I’m excited to make blocks for my QB friends.
    Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 PM
    Power Poster

D. Henson, you can go as simple or elaborate as you feel comfortable with, when making your blocks. Plenty of them will be simple designs. They all go together in our quilts.

In fact, Janice usually asks us to stay within our 'comfort zone' when making blocks with other people's fabric. It's a good policy.
    Old 12-19-2017, 10:43 PM

Thanks sewbiz, I know I will have tons of support along the way. I will go simple, because I haven’t made very many blocks. I’ve looked on pinterest and will practice new patterns before I use the material sent to me. I will ask for help as needed. Looking forward to making new blocks.
    Old 12-20-2017, 03:17 AM

D Henson, Quilter’s Cache has a ton of blocks. That where I started. Sometimes I spend more time looking for the “right” pattern than sewing the block. Just remember to check the size of the pattern before you cut. I learned the hard way that you can only cut a fat eighth one time! But you will have a bunch of fun!
    Old 12-20-2017, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by D.Henson
    Oh my gosh, such nice fabric popping up. I love reading the comments,...” It’s going to be fun working with this fabric, & can’t wait to play with your fabric...”. I must say, I’m a little nervous to “play” with some of these amazing prints. I don’t want to mess them up. With that being said, I’m excited to make blocks for my QB friends.

What I always do when I choose a new-to-me pattern is to make one in some scrap fabrics first. That way if there's a problem with instructions or size, I don't ruin somebody's F8. We all had our first Boom jitters, so we understand where you're coming from. Just relax and have fun with it. You'll do fine.
    Old 12-20-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay
    Im sending the blue and the flower fabric to one of the groups. Its my last Carpenters Star that I had previously made . I have the orange, tourqiouse and purple stars I sent before. Not sure what Ill send to the 2nd group yet. Cant wait to get started!
    Joan, I love your Carpenters Star. How big is it?
    Old 12-20-2017, 05:40 AM

I tend to push the F8 limit for how much fabric can be used, sometimes just having threads left. I love the design part so always have graph paper. I will draw out the F8 size on graph paper (1 square per inch or sometimes 1 square for 1/2 inch) and draw out my shapes I need to cut in the amount that needs to come from the F8 before cutting just to make sure I have enough. If you draw your F8 in pen and your pieces in pencil you can putz w/ the layout until it works. (I don't do that on every block just the ones I know I am pushing the limit of physics on!!! lol)
    Old 12-20-2017, 06:12 AM

I practice the blocks I’m not sure of too. I have 12 black white and red day of the dead blocks that will make a fun quilt someday.
    Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 AM

D.Henson, what Libster said!

Sewbiz mentioned that that I suggest making something you are comfortable with and I do agree in general. That doesn't mean you shouldn't stretch a bit. If there is a block you want to make but you aren't sure about it, use some scrap fabrics to try it out. Then you can save that block for a future scrappy quilt for yourself. I've got lots of "practice" blocks that I should make into a quilt (or 3) some year. But using someone else's fabric the first time you want to make an intricate block that's a huge stretch for your skills is a recipe for disappointment. Common sense is your greatest asset. That, and a good acrylic ruler!
    Originally Posted by Libster
    What I always do when I choose a new-to-me pattern is to make one in some scrap fabrics first. That way if there's a problem with instructions or size, I don't ruin somebody's F8. We all had our first Boom jitters, so we understand where you're coming from. Just relax and have fun with it. You'll do fine.

Last edited by Janice McC; 12-20-2017 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Clarification