Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 20 Sign-ups Open through 12/31/17* >
  • Boom 20 Sign-ups Open through 12/31/17*

• Boom 20 Sign-ups Open through 12/31/17*

Old 12-12-2017, 11:59 AM

Joanelizbay, I think a brown quilt would be wonderful. Brown is highly underrated in my opinion. Can look so warm and comforting. There was one posted a few months ago on the QB but I cannot recall where. If I find it, I'll direct you there.

I've penciled myself in for the 3 month group and now I'm thinking brown would be a great start. Good idea, Joanelizbay.
    Originally Posted by joanelizbay
    Wow...that's excellent Janice! I have one group already cut and folded but need to decide on the 2nd group. Has anyone ever made a brown based quilt? I was thinking Id like a brown/beigh/cream one but cant find any fabric that jumps out at me. I also want another red/white/blue patriotic quilt. I'm waiting on the sashing for my animal print QAYG blocks, should be there tomorrow! Glad to see everyone wanting to sign up!!

Last edited by Janice McC; 12-12-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Old 12-12-2017, 12:52 PM

A couple of questions have come up in the sign-up process. For everyone's benefit, all dates are firm except under extraordinary circumstances. You may withdraw from the group until the swap starts with no negative repercussions. After that, I will leave neutral or negative feedback because a space reserved for you is now unfilled. Yes, you may use multiple fabrics across the swap. And you may send two or more in each packet but one must be at least a full F8 size of 18 x 10 inches at a minimum. We've had people send one full F8 with a smaller piece to be used as an accent piece on the block. Also, please remember the block choice belongs to the maker of the block. Hope that answers a few questions. Thanks.

Also, I still have a couple of more emails to send so please be patient if you've emailed me and haven't gotten a response yet.
    Old 12-12-2017, 04:21 PM

I still can't play the good news is all the upheaval of getting a house ready for sale then moving is almost over. by the end of the year we will be in our new place. Unfortunately I don't know if I'll have my sewing room unpacked soon enough to join this round either. I was so busy last time I didn't really have the chance to even watch you guys. I miss my boom buddies but I hope to keep up this time and be able to play in 21

miss you guys and all your talent

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-22-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: remove shouting
    Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 PM

I have been following Boom 19 for several months and I’ve decided to join Boom 20! I’m excited and this will be my first boom. I have sent my info to Janice.
    I have a nice bundle of patriotic fat quarters. Would this be something I can use for my F8s? Or is it best to have 1 or 2 coordinating fabrics to send out as my F8s? Thanks for input.
    Old 12-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay
    Wow...that's excellent Janice! I have one group already cut and folded but need to decide on the 2nd group. Has anyone ever made a brown based quilt? I was thinking Id like a brown/beigh/cream one but cant find any fabric that jumps out at me. I also want another red/white/blue patriotic quilt. I'm waiting on the sashing for my animal print QAYG blocks, should be there tomorrow! Glad to see everyone wanting to sign up!!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]585257[/ATTACH]
    Joan, I just finished a tone on tone brown. My DH loves it.
    Attached Thumbnails 4fd44ce2-dfc7-4926-af25-1756612305bd.jpeg  
    Old 12-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma
    Advice boomers: My BIL picked out some gorgeous fabric at a store in NY but there is only 1 1/2 yards. I went ahead and bought it because there wasn't anything close to what he wanted in the store. Any suggestions? Should I buy companion fabric to match?
    It all depends on the pattern you are wanting to do. I would buy companion fabric so I would be able to have a size with enough fabric to fit the color theme of the quilt.[/QUOTE]

Did you do an online search?
    Old 12-12-2017, 05:47 PM

D Henson, you can send any fabric you wish as long as the pieces are a minimum of 18x10 inches with selvages removed. Did you plan to cut each fat quarter in half or send an entire Fat Quarter? A Fat Quarter is way more than we need to make a single block but it's been done. Also, now's a good time to mention that any leftover fabric is generally kept by the block maker so that may influence your decision about what to send. Occasionally there are requests to return extras, if someone has a very limited amount, but it's usually the exception to the rule.

There is no right or wrong fabric to send. It's totally dependent upon your vision for the quilt. One fabric or two, totally your choice as long as at least one is s full F8. Also, don't forget you may request certain colors be used - or not used - in blocks made for you but they are only requests. Ultimately, it's the block makers decision. I do strongly encourage boomers to follow requests. If they aren't followed, that block might not end up in someone's quilt or worse yet, in the discard pile.

D, did that answer your question? Boomers, feel free to jump in and clarify if you wish.
    Originally Posted by D.Henson
    I have been following Boom 19 for several months and I’ve decided to join Boom 20! I’m excited and this will be my first boom. I have sent my info to Janice.
    I have a nice bundle of patriotic fat quarters. Would this be something I can use for my F8s? Or is it best to have 1 or 2 coordinating fabrics to send out as my F8s? Thanks for input.
    Old 12-12-2017, 05:50 PM

GramE, nice job. See, lovely browns.

Hope you'll stick around and join in the conversation even if you don't join this round!
    Originally Posted by GramE
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]585257[/ATTACH]
    Joan, I just finished a tone on tone brown. My DH loves it.
    Old 12-12-2017, 05:54 PM

Billi, we'll miss you yet again. When you get settled in your new place, you can at least join in the conversation you know. And there are always side swaps going on.
    Old 12-12-2017, 06:02 PM

Just depends on your vision of the finished quilt, if you divide your FQ into two F8's and send 8 or 9 different fabrics (or a different fabric for each person) then your finished quilt will be a lot scrappier then if you sent out one fabric to everyone. Over the booms we have had many different versions. Boomers who sent one fabric to each person some in co ordinated lines, some not coordinated at all. Some who send one fabric but have no real color request just what the maker thinks will be pretty, some w/ one fabric and limited color choices (sometimes limited to color, sometimes to one color family) even some who want blocks made in a very tightly controlled color who send out 2 fabrics and say only use these two or only these two plus white. We do our best to work w/ whatever instructions are sent w/ the fabric.
    Originally Posted by D.Henson