Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 07-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Jaba, hang in there. Your hair will grow back. Talk to your hairdresser. There is a product that you can use on your scalp to help keep it conditioned while you're growing your hair back in. My sister used it and it was heaven-sent for her. I wish I could remember the name of it. I know we bought it at Sally's Beauty Supply. Happy to hear that you're up to some sewing. Just take it at your own leisurely pace. Remember-try to eat lots of proteins to keep your strength up. Sending lots of love and hugs. Praying for you every day.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:52 AM

Jaba, Hang in there, half way done! Great to hear you can sew a little. Sewing is calming and therapeutic for me. It keeps your mind occupied. Continued prayers for you and your family as you concur this beast!!

Terriamn, both blocks are very nice. The blue fabric and fussy cutting looks great with those stripes and polka dots.
I sympathize with you on your air condition problems. Ours went out last summer and we were misserable! the heat zaps your energy and definitely makes me cranky. Hope it get fixed soon!!

Cheesehead, Jayne's block is beautiful. I am loving the black with her Christmas fabric. It makes your pinwheels pop!

Kass, Such great memories were made for Abigail. How special to help her make a princess dress for her cousin. Certainly takes her mind off the drama at home. Enjoy the time you have with your niece and nephews!

GramE, gosh, those Santas are cute!! Your block is adorable.

SBG, I'll have to take a look at Volume 3 of ATB books. I have 1 & 2. One thing I don't understand about V2, is why they have to have those templates in the back. Why not just give the measurements of the square or rectangle. I imagine it has to do with the straight of grain arrow. Your hubby sounds amazing. Great helper. I'm sure you are loving your sweet 16!
Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by D.Henson
SBG, I'll have to take a look at Volume 3 of ATB books. I have 1 & 2. One thing I don't understand about V2, is why they have to have those templates in the back. Why not just give the measurements of the square or rectangle. I imagine it has to do with the straight of grain arrow. Your hubby sounds amazing. Great helper. I'm sure you are loving your sweet 16!
Oh, it's a Juki 2200QVP... 18". I think Terriamn may have the Sweet Sixteen. Yes, I am loving it! The Juki longarm, plus Angela Walter's instruction, are really opening up my quilting possibilities.

I think the templates in that second Around the Block book were an attempt to make the measurements easier. When she made the blocks in different sizes, some of the measurements got 'hairy'... like eighth and even sixteenth of an inch. I went through those templates and if they were a standard size, I wrote it on the template and in the pattern. I just measure the templates and then cut. She must have gotten a lot of negative feedback on using templates, because the third book doesn't have them. Just has measurements.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 PM

Yes I have the sweet 16 and if life ever gets back to normal it would be fun to play with it instead of rush rush.

Today I had a doctor appt. put address in my car navigation system exactly as written down from “ My Chart”. After 45 minutes of trying to find the place I pulled over and called their office. Receptionist said oh you must have put in Avenue instead of drive. She didn’t know directions for me to get there and said she would tell them I would be late. I drove around till I found it by by a chance of luck. Nurse told me that happens quite a bit but the higher ups didn’t know where the address was coming from. I showed her on my phone where it was listed with the wrong address on “my chart”.

Boy am I crabby and hot.

First block is for Sewbiz, I know you like the Folded Corner Blocks, second block is for HB4, Spinner and thought I might cool down a bit working with jolly ole Santa. Darn I forgot the name of the block. The 4 diamond �� you used a template

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598002[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]598003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]598004[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 7fd195f3-de60-44c6-a366-82384408472a.jpeg   83cb9b44-692b-4fb3-bb99-7098b2691c3d.jpeg   f4586bfb-e41f-47df-9f0d-61250db254d8.jpeg  
Old 07-17-2018, 02:41 PM

Terriamn, I know a few people named Darcy and I think some men are named it too. Does your sister quilt? I hate when that happens and they can’t put a correct address on their business and it is a shrug of a shoulders and “oh well” after they said at first it was your error. Sigh! Still you competed three great blocks. I am still figuring out what to do with the Santa’s and SBG’s fabrics and have H4B in process.

Jaba, I am glad you are staying in touch and sharing during this challenging time of battling cancer. I look forward to seeing what you have been working on and I am excited to use your fabric.

Kassaundra, Abigail should be so proud of that. What a wonderful gift. I can’t wait to hear her little cousin’s reaction to such a thoughtful personal gift. Applause all around.

GramE that is such a lovely Santa star block.

SBG, I am jealous, so glad your DH can help you with the basting.

BTW, general question, can you use any method to appliqué or are there guidelines?

I will post pictures at the end of the day from Sister’s.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Sorry for the bad day, Terri! I hate when the GPS takes you round in circles or just completely to the wrong place!

I love my block!~ Thank you so much! Yes, I do love all the varieties of Folded Corners. Your others are so pretty too. I think the Santa block is called a Rolling (Something).... Rolling Wheel? Wagon Wheel? Something like that.

DarcyShannon, I don't think we have a rule (yet) on applique, but I would think any method is ok, as long as it's sewn... not merely fused. Just my opinion, tho.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

I had a fun day on my quilter... I have been learning so much from Angela Walters! I quilted a little comfort quilt out of the same sea animals fabric that Stafar used in this swap, only mine is the striped version. I did the swirl meander and it actually doesn't look half bad! It looks like wavy water swirls. I've been practicing! Will show the quilt when it's completely done.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:40 PM

My Grands left on Saturday -my house is sooo quiet. The monsoon season has struck hard and after 190 days with no measurable precipitation, we have received 7" in the past week.
I looked through the photos and I know I missed seeing a number of them - the blocks all play so nicely and are going to make some amazing quilts.
I also noticed I have been delinquent in posting
Here are Bibliostone and Billi's
Attached Thumbnails bibliostone.jpg   billi.jpg  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Darcy let me personalize her block and that helped me pick a pattern.
GramE - your fabric is so beautiful and soft and I loved working with it
Attached Thumbnails darcyshannon.jpg   grame.jpg  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 PM

And then we have Libster and her yellow flowers. Photo doesn't do colors well - but I was really happy with the match
And SewBiz - matched your green to a T
Now to get my house back in order, my fabric back in correct tubs, and finish up on my blocks
Attached Thumbnails libster.jpg   sewbiz2.jpg