Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 22 - 2 month group - Sooner >
  • Boom 22 - 2 month group - Sooner

• Boom 22 - 2 month group - Sooner

Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 AM

We hit 90* yesterday, and now back down to 58* today!

Sewbizgirl, how are you doing your QAYG with wider sashing? Do you use Kass's tutorial or kind of make up one of your own? I'm hoping to use QAYG this these boom blocks, but I want a 2.5" or 3" sashing on it. I really want to start using QAYG methods on all my quilts. Wrestling with the entire quilt is getting harder as my Baby Bump gets bigger and the weather gets warmer, as is finding space and time for the full basting operation. I'm hoping QAYG will help me with less UFOs!
    Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 AM

Default Boom Biz - early shipping continued...

My notes indicate I will be holding Darcyshannon's blocks for Later shipping as well. DS, please ignore my email. Thank you!

I've now also heard from Macybaby and NZQuilter with the ok to ship early. Yay!

Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Janice please hold my blocks until the later group is finished, thank you.
    Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej
    Janice a week early is fine for me. Thanks!
    Originally Posted by Janice McC
    Morning, Sooners! I've gotten the ok to ship from Mona G, Libster, Zozee, Jaba and SBG. I'll be holding Hav4boys' until Later is ready.

I'd like to hear from everyone so I know you are aware the shipping date has moved up a week. Please post here or email me or pm me with your ok. I'll probably send the remaining people an email to expedite the situation.

NanaKathy55, please check your emails for a message from me.

edited to add: email just sent to those who I've not heard from. Please reply. Thanks!
    Old 04-11-2019, 06:17 AM

I've got a "snow day" today - pretty much the whole state is shut down due to the weather. Lost power for most of yesterday afternoon when we had freezing rain, but now it's cold enough to only be snow.
    Old 04-11-2019, 06:49 AM

Hold my blocks to ship with the Later group please.
    Old 04-11-2019, 06:58 AM

They are set aside. . Thanks!
    Originally Posted by hav4boys
    Hold my blocks to ship with the Later group please.
    Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by NZquilter

Sewbizgirl, how are you doing your QAYG with wider sashing? Do you use Kass's tutorial or kind of make up one of your own? I'm hoping to use QAYG this these boom blocks, but I want a 2.5" or 3" sashing on it. I really want to start using QAYG methods on all my quilts. Wrestling with the entire quilt is getting harder as my Baby Bump gets bigger and the weather gets warmer, as is finding space and time for the full basting operation. I'm hoping QAYG will help me with less UFOs!
    The wider sashing method is pretty much the same as the narrow sashing... except that you have to insert a strip of batting in the sashing before the final close-up. I cut my sashings 3", so they will finish at 2.5". If you don't want any bumps, you need to cut 2" strips of batting to fill them, so the strip can sit down in the sashing between the two seams on either side of them. Those two 1/4" seams take up 1/2" of space, so the batting only needs to be 2" to fill a 2.5" sashing with no overlap. Once you topstitch the final sashing seam, then you need to quilt on the sashing somehow, as it is unsecured at the long edges. You can do that as you go along, too.

I join all the short sections first... making horizontal rows. Then I join the rows with a long sashing and batting strip. Lastly, I add the 3" borders all around the outside, with their batting and backing pieces. I do it Marti Michell style... no "speedbumps", as she says! In the end it doesn't look like a QAYG quilt, because of the wide sashings.

Take care of that "bump"... and you!
    Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM

Thank you for the clear instructions, SBG! That doesn't sound too intimidating. I think I can manage it! I've been watching Marti Michell's Craftsy class and really want to give it a try. My last few quilts I've done an overall meadering as my only quilting design. I like a quick quilting design, but I am hoping I can enjoy some "custom" quilting if I do QAYG. Less bulk will let me relax more and just focus on one block at a time. This boom quilt will be perfect for play quilting!
    Old 04-11-2019, 10:15 AM
    Power Poster

I am taking pictures as I put mine together today, and will post them in a bit. It's always easier for me to "see" things done rather than read instructions.

Marti Michell's classes on QAYG are great! I got to meet her in her booth at the Paducah show a couple of years ago. She's such a sweet lady.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 04-11-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    Old 04-11-2019, 11:13 AM

Default Boom Biz - tracking numbers

Tracking info is being sent by USPS, you should have it within a short while, if you haven't gotten it already.

NanaKathy55, I still need to hear from you. I've not set up shipping yet for you so please check your emails/pms for a message. Thanks!
    Old 04-11-2019, 02:17 PM
    Power Poster

Yay, got my shipping notification! Thank you Janice.

Just finished one of my lap quilts from last Boom... used half of my blocks and will make another with the other half. I took pics as I assembled it, so they may help with understanding the process, for anyone who is interested.

Mine is a 9 block quilt, 3x3. I used 3" sashings and borders. Top and bottom sashings were different. This photo shows the top and bottom sashings clipped to the right edge of a first block of a row of 3, right sides towards the block. The same will be done with the second block.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]611474[/ATTACH]

This shows the back side of this step.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]611475[/ATTACH]

Sew 1/4" seam and press sashing pieces away from the block. Trim top and bottom edges of sash even with the block. Then press under 1/4" on the long edge of the top sash. Repeat this step with the second block in this row.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]611476[/ATTACH]

Join the first block to the second... peel back the front sash and sew only the back sash to the right side of the second block, 1/4" seam.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]611477[/ATTACH]

Open out the second block and press the seam allowances towards the sashing between the blocks. With the two seams pressed in, this leaves a 2" gap that you will fill with a batting strip. Cut the batting 2" wide x length of your block.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]611478[/ATTACH]

Pat the batting strip in, between the seam allowances, so it is 'nested' with no overlap.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]611479[/ATTACH]

(Picture insisted on loading sideways), but close the top sash and pin the folded edge just over the stitching line on the block.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]611480[/ATTACH]

Then in the best matching thread you can find, topstitch close to the fold edge. Trim top and bottom of sash even with the blocks. Repeat this for the joining of the second block to the third block. Then join all of your horizontal rows in this same manner.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]611481[/ATTACH]

Here are my 3 horizontal rows all joined. Now the rows will be joined in exactly the same manner as the blocks, with only one additional thing to consider: be sure to mark the intersections on the sashing so that your vertical sashings line up. When they are 'off' it's very unsightly, so take an extra minute to get this right. Here are my two sashings, right sides towards the row, ready to be sewn. Sew a 1/4" seam and press open as you did for the vertical sashings.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]611482[/ATTACH]

(more in the next post, below.)
    Attached Thumbnails img_5005.jpg   img_5006.jpg   img_5008.jpg   img_5009.jpg   img_5010.jpg  

img_5011.jpg   img_5012.jpg   img_5013.jpg   img_5015.jpg  

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 04-11-2019 at 02:28 PM.