Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boom 22, 3 month group - Later >
  • Boom 22, 3 month group - Later

• Boom 22, 3 month group - Later

Old 02-03-2019, 05:25 AM

Great quilts Bibliostone!
    Old 02-03-2019, 07:16 AM

Biblio- your mystery quilt is awesome - so many little pieces. Congratulations!
    Old 02-03-2019, 07:49 AM

I too am all about the iron when sewing quilt blocks. I press after every seam, and for some of my more unruly blocks sometimes starch after every seam! lol
    Originally Posted by Janice McC
    Libster, you are the queen of stars! Most of the time I keep that in mind when I make yours, not always, though. . I agree about pressing. Like you, I press after every seam. I tend to sew my seams a little too scant so I must check them and adjust when necessary to get proper size. Now I also weight each set of pieces I press with an old metal cookie tin filled with flaxseed. It cools them fast and sets the seam well. It only adds a few minutes to each block. While the pieces are cooling, I’m prepping something else.
    Old 02-03-2019, 07:54 AM

Great blocks everyone, I think the block making has started much earlier in this boom then in most others, makes the waiting less painful. lol

Bstone, awesome job on the quilts. I see my sugar skull block. Those zoo Tshirts are some of the best I've ever seen put into a Tquilt. I don't think the En Provance needs a border unless you just need the size, binding alone would look good.
    Old 02-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Wonderful block quilts Bibliostone! I like your Sunset En Provence too I've been playing around in EQ8 and preparing for some block making - woohoo!

Terriamn - Enjoy every ounce of that beautiful weather! And I'm sending all positive thoughts for your upcoming procedure!

Libster - your blocks are beautiful! I spied your fabric yesterday at the fabric store - it popped right out at me Can't wait to play soon - I favor stars as well!

I hope everyone is thawing out a bit - my DH is planning to sneak in a few rounds of golf the next few days while we warm up a bit.

Happy Superbowl Sunday ladies - I'll be watching for the commercials!
    Old 02-03-2019, 08:45 AM

I’m glad you like stars Ms Merkle because I have a crafty class about perfect piecing. I’m trying to do a few challenging (for me) pieced blocks each boom. Boom 20 I did a Carrie Nation block. One of the four crafty practice blocks is a star. I was going to use it for Libster but she might get one of my odd applique blocks instead The class goes over exactly how to press, how to do triangles etc. I’ll be using the starch I bought on Kassaundras recommendation.

This is is going to be a fun boom.

if it’s not raining out today DH and I are going to head down to the beach, it’s a negative tide, to bike or walk. It’ll be empty during super bowl. We used to go the zoo with the kids when they were little. And it’s a quilting day!

enjoy your super bowl Sunday.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 02-03-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    Old 02-03-2019, 10:39 AM

" I was going to use it for Libster but she might get one of my odd applique blocks instead "

Yea!!!!!!
    Old 02-03-2019, 11:16 AM

mjpEncinitas - I love your idea to tackle a few challenging blocks each boom! I will certainly be doing that considering I'm only a quilter of less than two years. I make up for my lack of experience with loads of patience and starch so that my blocks are made as perfect as I can. Making last years BH ORL mystery taught me to sew, starch, press, trim, sew, starch, press, trim, repeat, repeat, repeat....

I recall seeing a previous boomer show her 'trial blocks' made to ensure she had the accuracy down before cutting into other's fabrics. That will likely be me this Boom

BTW - I will be over the moon happy with any block style that you make for me!
    Old 02-03-2019, 04:13 PM

TMF- You can make yourself an entire quilt by doing trial blocks! It has been done. I usually have issues with amount of fabric - just how far can I stretch a F8, so I cut my practice fabric 18x10 and use it to make sure. And then there is my drawer full of orphan blocks that were off sized!

Today we went to the movies. Saw the documentary "they shall not grow old" . It was about the foot soldier during WWWI and used only original footage shot during WWI. At the end of the movie they explained a little on how they took old film and revitalized them.
    Then I got my sewing ready for my Monday Quilters group. I try to bring something not too complicated since we do a lot of talking and not concentrating!!
    Old 02-03-2019, 04:59 PM

If I am working on a block that I think will be close on the F8 fabric I get out the graph paper, one small block per inch and draw our the size and shapes I need to cut. If I am fussy cutting I make freezer paper shapes for everything I will need so I can press them to the fabric where they won't move. I often "squeeze an F8 until it squeels" lol lol lol