Boom 31 Spring

Old 06-04-2024, 12:19 PM

Spent the long weekend in MA to see Grandaughter graduate HS. Beautiful weather.
we went to leave campground yesterday morning. Not only did the “check engine” light come on, the “STOP Engjne “ light came on. Called Coach-net insurance and they worked their magic. A few hours a tow truck took us to terrific truck repair center that is open 24-7. A few thousand dollars later at midnight it was done. They parked us in a corner, pulled out the bedroom slide and slept!!
Returned to son’s house to find 19 sandwich bags tucked away in squishy bag!
I need a few days before I can take them all out.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:37 PM

Well, got the Under the Sea blocks put into five rows. Friday I’ll work on getting the rows sewn to each other. Maybe I’ll start it tonight. Tomorrow is my boat ride and luncheon day with the ladies group.

Glad to hear packages have arrived but it looks like Hav’s is stuck in Montgomery. Sheesh. Don’t worry, that sometimes happens and it’ll move soon.

It’s mighty hot and humid here today. I’m debating putting the AC on. More storms are rolling through so maybe that’ll cool things down a bit.

Old 06-04-2024, 04:31 PM

Come to Michigan all you who are suffering from the heat. We are predicted to have a few days in the upper 60's to low 70's and 50's at night. Ahhhh good sleeping weather.

I have been having fun laying out my spring blocks on point. I think I have a final lay out but going to ask my quilty Zoom friends for their opinion tomorrow afternoon. Then I'll snap a photo and move on to my next UFO and a long term quilt using the Cleopatra's Fan block. Got to get this one done and out the door. Love the block.....hate the colors, but I did not choose them. The quilt was designed by a friend's mother. This is where I just do what I am told and ignore my opinion.

Picking out fabric already? I probably should do that too. Just because..............
Old 06-05-2024, 07:52 AM

I'm so excited, I will have the quilt top put together this week, thank you all so much for the blocks. My friend's birthday is next week, and I'm hoping to have the top put together by then. Hugs all!
Old 06-05-2024, 02:12 PM

My package arrived and all my beautiful blocks are accounted for. Thanks everyone I love each and everyone of them
Old 06-05-2024, 03:23 PM

Am happy you all are pleased with your blocks! Even Hav’s blocks were delivered so that should be everyone now.

Had a terrific lunch and boat ride today. Next week another lunch with a different group. I’m a social butterfly! (That’s one of the most absurd statements I’ve ever made! Definitely I’m not but I’m getting better.)

Flubbed my first long pieced binding strip by putting it on backwards so the join was visible. Pffft. Color me annoyed having to rip it out. Better wait to tomorrow to do it again.

Enjoy your evening.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

I love my blocks and want to jump into playing with them. But first, I'm finishing up a QOV, and another big, bedsize quilt that was a mystery quilt from my guild. That one... I like the design, but I'm not sure about the colors I chose. I'll probably like it better once it's quilted.

Janice, I have done the same thing with bindings before, especially batik bindings. If I have already sewn a lot of it on, I will just pick out the little joining seam and resew it the right way, rather than rip the whole thing out. It's definitely faster.

I'm envious of your social life Janice! How was the boat ride? Where did it go? Was it just a floating luncheon? Please tell us more.

Nighty night!
Old 06-06-2024, 02:15 AM

SBG, I meant to say sashing, not binding. The join was about 18 inches in of the 48 inch length but I was annoyed enough to sit down and remove the whole thing. Only took a few minutes anyway. I’ve reattached it and two others so I’ll finish the narrow sashing this morning and take a pic. Got to see if I’ve got enough of the same color for binding. It’s going to be close.

The hour plus long boat ride was with 20 women and a guide who showed us around Lake Lure. He told us of its history and pointed out interesting homes and the dam and such. I enjoyed most being on the water. We had a small boat for 40 years but sold it when we moved. I’m suddenly regretting that choice as I missed being on the water. Some of the women were talking up a storm but the woman I was sitting next to was like me, we wanted to enjoy the experience of the water and the wind. Afterwards we had a delicious lunch. It was a fine day!

Off to finish the quilt and see about the binding.

edited: I forgot to mention Lake Lure was where about half of Dirty Dancing was filmed years ago. Was going to add pix but they won’t post. Will try again later.

Last edited by Janice McC; 06-06-2024 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Photos
Old 06-06-2024, 04:01 AM

TG glad you were able to get your RV fixed so quickly and you are back on the road

Janice how frustrating on your sashing, I have made the same mistake. Your boat ride sounds like fun, we are water people and love being on and in the water.

It didn’t rain yesterday and it’s not supposed to rain today. Two full days without is amazing

My plan is to press all my blocks and put them away till I need another child’s quilt, already have several completed and waiting on a recipient. Then work more on preparing the wedding signature blocks. I have some beautiful florals that are calling my name to be made into a quilt top
Old 06-06-2024, 04:24 AM

Everyone is so busy! How reassuring to know as much as we love our quilting that we do have other activities in our lives. Keeps us young, happy and vibrant.

I was "gifted" a pile of tumbler blocks last week. Why do I take on extra projects? Any way, I soon discovered that I needed more to make even a small quilt. Off to the stash to find appropriate companion fabrics. But wait, I don't have a tumbler template. Oh, well go back to "old school" and make my own out of some heavy template plastic I found in my collection of quilting materials. I knew I would need it someday. Today is someday. Done and done, cut another pile of tumbler blocks and started sewing them together while listening to an audio book. I think I am about half done, but as unplanned quilts go, I may only be 1/3 done.. I will stitch on and let it grow. Another donation quilt I am sure.

High blue sky's today and cool breezes. It smells green this morning. Time for a cup of tea and a moment or two to gaze at the birds and critters while the mug warms my hands.