Boom 31 Spring

Old 06-09-2024, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Janice, your kids are so lucky to have you there to babysit!
Old 06-09-2024, 04:53 PM

I love seeing my block in your quilt. And the center block really makes it work. Will try to remember this when making a nine block quilt.

ahh the silence of sleeping little ones!

I was asked to make holders for sanitary pads to give out to homeless, veterans, needy girls etc. so I used my favorite tissue holder pattern and enlarged it. Than after making 50, I thought I would continue using up more scraps and make more for the church ladies to hand out. It is easy and love using my stash.

Old 06-09-2024, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

Forgot to say I'd be happily on board for a July sign up date for Boom 32.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:41 AM

Good morning. It’s a cool one here today but bound to warm up a lot in the next few hours.

I’ll stick with the plan to start signups late July.

Went to Chimney Rock with DH yesterday and had a gorgeous view of the area, including Lake Lure where I had the boat ride last week. Then we came home and picked up Ripley’s ashes. That was tough but now we’re surprisingly comforted by having them here. What a roller coaster of emotions these last months!

I’m off to coffee with a friend. Enjoy your day. I’ll Check back in in a few days. Anyone starting on their blocks yet?
Attached Thumbnails img_3962.jpeg   img_3963.jpeg  
Old 06-11-2024, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

What beautiful photos, Janice. North Carolina is gorgeous.

Ripley's ashes... sigh. I can see where they would be a comfort to have. All of our doggies over the past 30 years are buried here on our property. I talk to them when I walk up that way.

I've been working on a quilt called Scrappy Celebration, using my 30's reproduction prints. After that's done I expect to put together my boom blocks.

Today is mammogram day... ugh. And then I see the oncology nurse. I'm sure I will get scolded for going off the hormone blocker med she prescribed. Will be glad to have that behind me and then I'll go do something fun, like hit the thrift stores!
Old 06-11-2024, 07:54 AM

So much for checking in in a few days.

I keep jumping around projects trying to decide what to do and I’ve finally, I think, settled on making 2 quilts from my pansy floral. One colorful, the other white background. I’ve got to make 3 more blocks with a white background like those on the right in the pic below but I’m going to add a small border around them like the top right block. I’ll make 9 inch blocks then border them with the floral to make them 12.5 and make each one a corner. I’m procrastinating, as usual, as my perfectionist streak is rearing it’s ugly head again. When I do this, the only solution is to dive in on something, anything! If I post here, I might just do it! lol at myself.

Attached Thumbnails img_5938.jpeg  
Old 06-11-2024, 09:46 AM

Oh, I like how you have divided the two sets of blocks. I lean toward the ones with the white background but that is how I often lean when making brillantly colored blocks of my own. Old habits and all of that. Quilt on and on and on.
Old 06-11-2024, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

Love both prospective quilts, Janice! How nice that your blocks split up so easily. (My block is on the white side.) You could introduce more color in the sashing on the white quilt... if you wanted to. Lots of possibilities!

Today the mammo went well. They are only looking at the side that had cancer, every 6 months, to be sure nothing changes. They said it looked good! She wasn't happy with my going off the hormone blocker, tho. Probably because she's going to have to explain my decision to the surgeon.

I love how this thread has turned into a chat, between active Booms. It's great to stay in touch.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:57 AM

I also am enjoying the chatting between Boomers. It is "real", friendly and kind. To date this is the only thread where I have experienced this level of "friending".

Pet ashes, I just could not do it. My kitties are resting hither and yon underground. When my last pus passed away, she was buried in my daughter's back yard under a row of pine trees. I live in a condo neighborhood and I would have been chastised and fined If I buried a pet on the property. Burying Scout was a wonderful, yes wonderful, experience for my grandchildren to witness and participate in. They all had an affection for Scout and had played with her often. My grandson disappeared and then reappeared on the back deck of his home and played taps on his trumpet. That was all he knew about how to demonstrate grieving but it was a precious gesture. I am glad that you have a sense of comfort by having Ripley close by. Our hearts are so amazingly tender towards our four legged family members.

Yeah for the good mamo report! Good for you for standing firm on your choice to medicate or not. Your body, your choice. The doctors and medical staff are there to offer options and guidance as we care for ourselves. They often forget that, and so do we..
Old 06-12-2024, 05:31 AM

Janice what beautiful pictures.

Sewbiz great news on your check up

I am also procrastinating. Need to sandwich my quilt and just despise this part of quilting. I also have my quilt sitting next to my chair to finish the binding, have about half done but just pick it up here and there.

Active thunderstorms here, loud thunder and lots of lightening. Glad I am nice and safe at home

Also love the chatting