Boom 31 Spring

Old 06-12-2024, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Hey everyone! I've been bad about contributing to this lovely thread but I'm here today.

I got my last Boom quilt finished and returned from the quilter. I need to get a pic of it to show you. I love it!
My hubby is doing very well. We're outside a lot and that's the best medicine for him. He loves it. I've been slowly working on my candy quilt but I gave my sewing room a good clean the other day. It was in that state where I couldn't find anything. UGH.
Sewbiz- I'm happy for you. You're doing what's right for you. We aren't cookie cutter people. We're each unique and I think sometimes they don't see that. You mentioned side effects. Who needs that? Good for you.

My granddaughter found a framed picture of her Daddy when he was little and after they left I saw that she put it right smack in the middle of the dining room table! Kids are so funny.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

That's funny. The middle of the dining room table is a place of honor in your gd's little eyes.

Speaking of pet burials, my gd lost one of her kitties last fall when he got hit in the road out in front of their house. He was a mean, mean Russian blue cat, but was always sweet to the children, tolerating anything they dished out. He was killed in the evening after Ivy was put to bed, and her daddy, trying to spare her the horror of seeing him run over, hurried to bury him in the back yard. Too fast, I think. So when Ivy woke up the next day he was just *gone*. They showed her where he was "sleeping" in the back yard.... and that sweet little thing would get his kitty treats and sprinkle some on his grave every day. So precious. (I hope some squirrels enjoyed those treats! LOL)
Old 06-12-2024, 12:26 PM

Good afternoon. Our power was out yesterday due to a tree falling and taking a power pole and live lines with it into a hugely busy 2 lane road outside our development. In perfect weather. Go figure. Created monsterous backups in both directions for hours. Power came back on but we lost internet for 18 hours. I felt like I was in the Stone Age, out of contact with everyone. Anyway, I came to see what’s doing here and found lots of chatter. I, too, like the between booms talk.
SBG, great news about the mammo. May you continue to enjoy equally good reports from now on!
SusieQ, I’m happy to hear DH is doing so well.
Re: Ripley’s remains, both of us are oddly relieved we’ve got them. We’ll consider spreading them in the future but for now, they’re in a lovely wooden box on our windowsill with some plants.
The pool is being opened as I write this. Bittersweet as Rip loved to swim and we had hoped she’d live long enough to enjoy it again. Now DH will get obsessed about every leaf or bug that falls in. Good grief, he keeps it spotless!
Still no work on the quilt. Picked out three more blocks to make but the peculiar last 24 hours have been a distraction.
Guess that’s it.Maybe I should get to work on those blocks!
Old 06-12-2024, 01:08 PM

Oh my goodness have I mentioned at least 100 times how I hate sandwiching quilts. No different this time. First I bought some 1”x2’ boards, you sand them down and roll your backing on it, followed by repeating the same technique for the next 2 layers. Took me so long to roll it up nice and flat that my helper ( hubby) asked why we were trying a different method the way we usually do it works much better. Yep he was correct. We went back to layering the layers and spray gluing them together. Sounds so easy. Right? X amount of time later we had a 3 layers sandwiched, sprayed and hopefully all the wrinkles were pushed and pulled out. Now to quilt it when my back stops hollering at me. This is the one process hubby has always helped me out with but usually I am making smaller children’s quilts that are smaller and easier to work with. Calgon take me away.

Janice sorry about the internet being down. Just knowing that makes me antsy
Old 06-12-2024, 03:52 PM

So much chatter feels like love.
We never retained our pets ashes. When we had a stick built house, we buried them. But when on the road it - we just said our goodbyes at veterinarians. Just such a sorrow no matter what we do.
Mammos how I hate them. But always glad they come out as good and no returns. Keep up doing what you want with meds and treatments.
have now used up all my patriotic material. Just finished the last quilt (yes I love my basting spray) and will send the quilts, fidget quilts etc out to my DAR group to pass on.
DGrandaughter had 8th grade graduation last night. All 12 students!! School goes from preK to 8th grade so is big event. Had a bonfire afterwards.
now to decide on next project…..
Old 06-13-2024, 03:55 AM

Hi everyone! just popping in, as I finally got on my computer since we got back to South Dakota almost a week ago - and it turns out we're hoping to head back to GA tomorrow ahead of the rain. Will see how the packing goes today. My blocks showed up in GA the day after I left. I'm looking forward to seeing them all, but have no idea if I'll get to any sewing during the next three weeks we are down there. Our plan is to spend most of July and August here in SD. We'll be taking our main computers with this time, so hopefully I'll be able to get online a lot more. Sewing room is pretty much set up, and most of my fabric is unpacked. Looking forward to sharing pictures.

We are close to being done moving. We are taking the truck and small trailer this time, and only have one more load with the big trailer but that will wait until the house has sold. Right now we have DS's old kitchen table and chairs, and the bed he had in his guest room, and two recliners and our computer desks here in the way of furniture, and the computer stuff is coming with this time. Still have a lot of DH's tools in the garage, and that will go in the last trailer load as we've no where to unload it so it will stay packed until we do.

it's real stressful waiting for the house to sell, but it's been easier on us having had a year to get moved to GA and get DH's house finished so we could move in. Still have work to do in the two upper bathrooms, but that does not hold up moving stuff in. My main stress relief is sewing, and I've not been able to do that since early April. I think once we get all moved I'm going to do some serious stash cleansing. Don't have as much room as I use to, but I still have enough room to own more than I'll use in my lifetime. Sounds like DH has breakfast ready, so time for me to get off the computer and start packing it up! Hope to check in next week from GA!
Old 06-13-2024, 04:16 AM

Woozers that is quite a process moving from SD to Georgia in steps and stages. At least you can unpack and put things in order as you move-in over time. That appears to be an advantage. I am still remembering you moving your fish and keeping them oxygenated while you traveled. It makes me smile. It would make a good cartoon. Fish with little oxygen masks on swimming about in the rear facing seat of a 1950's station wagon. Or snorkels masks doing the same and other surprised drivers passing by. Ah, I digress.

Happy moving, settling in and moving some more. Good golly Miss Molly, you must like driving!

Old 06-13-2024, 09:04 AM

Macybaby hope this stressful time is behind you soon and you can get to spending hours in your sewing room creating more of your beautiful work
Old 06-14-2024, 02:28 AM

Good morning.

Macybaby, going back and forth between homes must be exhausting. It sounds like you’re nearing the end. Hope your home sells soon so you can settle permanently in GA. Safe travels!

TG, congrats to your DGD for graduating. Cyrano the cat and Ripley are the only ones wherevwe kept the ashes. Cyrano is soon to be scattered where my mother and sister’s ashes were scattered. He was their cat originally and they adored him. It seems fitting. We’ll keep Rip’s until we’re able to let them go. It’ll be a long while I suspect.

Terriamn, I hate sandwiching as well. I spray baste but use a few pins on the edges to hold it together. It always loosens up a bit when I’m quilting, all that fussing and folding it through the machine throat. That’s why I do QAYG a lot of the time. Much easier to keep the pieces together and often I just pin baste them.

Looks like our trip to KS is coming together for next month. It’ll include a trip to Missouri Star Quilt Co. I understand it’s huge, multiple buildings, so I just want to see it and immerse myself in all the colors!

Had another bear sighting as it ran from my yard through a neighbor’s yard last evening. It was moving pretty fast. A friend got a pic of it on its return trip and she says it’s a small one. I just know I don’t want to come face to face with it.

Got my three blocks almost done then I’ll start FMQing them. This time I think I’ll use some leftover fusible batting and QAYG again.

Have a good day!
Old 06-14-2024, 05:05 AM

Here’s the tentative layout of the white florals. Time to start quilting
Attached Thumbnails img_5953.jpeg