Boom 31 Spring

Old 06-16-2024, 03:05 AM

Good morning from a warm and humid WNC. AC is on and will stay on until this heat wave passes.

I just tested negative and I’m not surprised as I’m feeling completely well. Will test again in a couple of days to be sure. My friend is starting to feel better. Yay.

Attached are a couple of pix. The first is my white floral all quilted. I’ve got to cut the blocks down an 1/8 or a 1/4 as some were too small to begin with. I’m vacillating between a blue sashing and a yellow one. I don’t have much to choose from so it’ll be one of the two. The second is my boom 31 Ballet slippers blocks, in no particular order. I think I’ll just sash with white and keep the soft theme. Those are next up to meander. I’m loving meander now but before I attempt it on a bigger top, I want more practice. I know it’s much different moving a square vs a whole sandwiched quilt. I’m not looking forward to it but I’ll do it next time.

The pool water is clearing up but it’s still got a ways to go. Just takes time for all the chemicals to do their work.

Terri, bonfires! Haven’t had a great bonfire since I was a Girl Scout!

SBG, I was thinking about Libster, too. She was quieter than usual this last round. I’m going to reach out to her. Hope she is well and just busy with life.

Did I tell you we had another bear sighting the other day? It was running between yards at dusk. Poor thing must be more afraid of us than we are of it.

A quiet Father’s Day is ahead. We are trying to move our backyard camping plans to next week. It’s too hot and humid this weekend anyway. Enjoy your day, Boomers.
Attached Thumbnails img_5963.jpeg   img_5964.jpeg  
Old 06-16-2024, 04:09 AM

What a clever idea to send different fabrics so you have enough to make one quilt of one fabric and another set to make different quilt, In your case, nine packages for nine blocks of ballet slippers and the rest of the bunny fabric. A good way to use use smaller lengths of fabric and to create more than one finished quilt.

Hot steamy and my plans to take my grandson to see "the Banana Car" just went up in steam. I forgot today was Father's Day and I don't want to take him away from his terrific dad, even for some silliness and junk food.

A good memory I have of my daddy was spending time with him in the garage or his workshop area. He would let me sort tools, play with the heads of his dremel tool set, melt lead for ammunition and play with the wood cut offs of his home repair projects. Best photo memory was an ice cream sundae with sparklers in it for his birthday. Precious and a surprise for him.

A good memory of your father, dad, daddy or pop?
Old 06-16-2024, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Janice, the strangest thing happened in our family. We are all vaxxed multiple times but every single one of my immediate family has gotten Covid (fortunately mostly mild) except ME! My husband had it a couple of summers ago. I tested myself several times and never got it. Glad you're okay.
We're in for some real heat this week. My sewing room beckons me............... since your pool isn't ready yet.
Old 06-16-2024, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

A recent memory of my Dad is helping him take care of his garden. After he retired, he had a huge veggie garden every summer. He grew some whopping watermelons! He also loved to drive out to a peach orchard and get a bushel of peaches to can. I remember peeling for days so we could make pickled peaches ( yum!)

A younger memory (when I was a kid), was of him slipping off to the kitchen at night while we were all watching TV, and coming back with wonderful ice cream sundaes for each of us!

Hope all the Dads have a great day!
Old 06-16-2024, 08:17 AM

An early memory of my father was him making us pancakes nearly every Sunday morning. They were delicious. A memory from about 17 is the two of us entering a proficiency “air race” held annually by a group of women pilots. For the life of me I cannot remember their name. Anyway, that particular year he was pilot and I was copilot. I got my pilot’s license at 17. We did very well. I have a pic somewhere I’ll show you when I find it. The two of us and my sister in front of the plane he owned. We did it a couple of times. Very fun! He died when I was 33.

edited to add: The association was The Ninety-Nines. How could I forget that? lol.

Last edited by Janice McC; 06-16-2024 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2024, 11:28 AM

Janice- wow a pilot!! So much we didn’t know!
As for QAYG - first step of course is each block. I then moved up to a row at a time. That wasn’t bad at all.

a nice 75 today in NNH, but this week to be in high 90’s and humid. Sure didn’t have that last summer. DGD having friend over tomorrow so will take them down to lake. I can be comfortable in shade and read my kindle!
Went to HL yesterday and found my blue so now I can lay my blocks out and see about sashaying.

stay cool and well
Old 06-16-2024, 11:31 AM

One of my favorite garden memories was watching my dad and my daughter fertilizing his garden using fish heads. She was four. A few weeks went by and she asked when the fish were going to come up!
otherwise it was dad and boat and fish and clams every weekend
Old 06-16-2024, 04:08 PM

My dad was a big fella with a great laugh, one of those laughs that you laugh just hearing. When I was divorced with my 4 kids he was my go to person and. He always told everyone he’d had 2 wives but I was a bigger drainon his time then either of them. I couldn’t afford to buy much and what I did buy always had a ton of parts that had to be put together. He preferred I didn’t try to put things together just all him from the start. LOL. I don’t know what I would have done without both sets of my parents. He would come over early Saturday mornings and holler Hey everyone I’m here get up and have some donuts with me. My kids and who ever else had spent the night would go flying to him. The kids loved him. Now my poor dog would put her head down between her paws and just shake. She didn’t like his booming voice at all. He was quite a character.
Old 06-17-2024, 06:17 AM

Good morning, Boomers. Nothing new here, just trying to pick sashing colors again. I get stuck trying to pick the perfect colors instead of getting it done. I'm down to two shades of blue for the white floral. There's hardly a difference between them yet I'm stuck. It's a flaw, what can i say? lol No sign of illness so I'll test tomorrow again and call it quits. I feel absolutely fine. This is my second known close contact exposure and nothing happened in October either. I'm assuming the vaccines are working for me.

Am enjoying your Dad stories. Terriamn, love your description of your dad and his laugh! Sounds like quite the character. TG, waiting for fish to grow!!! Priceless. The flying thing was a lifetime ago. I'd grown up in an airplane and it was like taking a drive in a car, nothing special. I learned how to fly early, had to wait to 16 to solo, then to 17 to get my license. Both were on my birthdays. The instructor giving me the flying test told my Dad beforehand that short of crashing the plane, I'd pass since he'd been watching me fly for years. Of course no one told me that and I was nervous but passed. I quit flying when I moved across country to get married and that was that. I think folks at the airport thought I'd be a commercial pilot but having a couple of hundred people's lives in my hands was not for me. Rarely do I miss flying but I'll admit to watching every aircraft that goes over my head when I'm outside, trying to determine what kind of plane it is. And I live under the flight path for Asheville airport so I have flight apps and follow the planes. It's a curse. Honestly though, I'd rather be quilting.

I'm off. I'm going with the brighter of the blues for the sashing. Enough waiting! Have a good day.

Old 06-17-2024, 07:28 AM

Janice how cool on the flying. I am a nervous Nellie and would have been scared to death. Good for you