Boom 31 Spring

Old 06-17-2024, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

How cool that you got to fly so much growing up, Janice! My youngest son got his pilot's license and took me up a few times. As long as the plane stayed level and flew calmly, I was ok. But if he took a sudden drop or turn I freaked out.

Wow, you are multi-faceted!
Old 06-17-2024, 12:07 PM

lol, SBG! Flying in a small plane isn’t for everyone. I took my husband up when I was 18, before we really started dating, and he admitted afterwards that he was terrified. Our friend went too and he loved it. I once had a friend of my youngest tell me I wasn’t a “normal” mother because I rode motorcycles and used to fly. She meant it as a compliment. How I laughed!

I started the sashing but I need blue thread for it. Off to the LQS if I test negative tomorrow.
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
How cool that you got to fly so much growing up, Janice! My youngest son got his pilot's license and took me up a few times. As long as the plane stayed level and flew calmly, I was ok. But if he took a sudden drop or turn I freaked out.

Wow, you are multi-faceted!
Old 06-17-2024, 02:15 PM

I am quilting on lay floral boom quilt, doing something different in block as stated before. Goodness gracious but it would really help if I would stop and breathe and rotate m shoulders. Had to pack it up in the middle of a block. Neck and shoulders just couldn’t handle it any more. Why can’t I remember to set the timer for 20 minutes and get up and stretch
Old 06-17-2024, 04:59 PM

It’s easy to tense up. I do it all the time. I catch my shoulders up by my ears. Lately, while meandering each block separately, I get up between them and walk around, get a drink of water, or go look at the hummingbird feeder outside the living room. I need a break after only 10 minutes! Terriamn, I’d love to see your quilting setup if you’re inclined to take a picture. Have a nice evening.
Originally Posted by terriamn
I am quilting on lay floral boom quilt, doing something different in block as stated before. Goodness gracious but it would really help if I would stop and breathe and rotate m shoulders. Had to pack it up in the middle of a block. Neck and shoulders just couldn’t handle it any more. Why can’t I remember to set the timer for 20 minutes and get up and stretch
Old 06-17-2024, 06:05 PM

Just came home from hanging out with my brother. We had quite the thunder storm last night and lost power until just about 8:30 pm. And to day was a hot, humid, and generally uncomfortable day. Brother dear, let me hide out at his home with the generator running and taking the edge off the 95 degree temperatures. No electricity and no internet, what's a girl to do? She cut 2.5" squares from scraps.!

Enjoying the dad stories, too.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:13 AM

Janice I will try and remember to take some pictures today. Will even be brave and show some of my quilting. I have a hard time quilting around some of my rulers and discovered the problem but not quite sure how to fix it. When quilting around the river I start with the foot the same way I would sew on a regular machine but as I go down and follow the curve I end up with the side of the foot pressed against the ruler and I tend to jerk the fabric. Going to have to watch more closely and see if I need to move the quilt around or what? Anyone else run into this problem?
Old 06-19-2024, 02:20 AM

Omgosh, boomers. Was up late last night putting my little white floral quilt together. The sashings are on and I was about to start the binding when, oops!, I realized I turned one of the two directional blocks upside down! Am now debating leaving it. It’ll take longer to disassemble the rows than it will to restitch it. What would you do? Pic below. It’s the basket block on the left. If it were the only directional block I’d definitely leave it but the darling heart block is below. Reminder to self: double check every row before sashing!
Attached Thumbnails img_5976.jpeg  
Old 06-19-2024, 03:04 AM

Hummm, I think I would unstitch and flip the basket block. It would bother me that it was upside down. Like you said if the heart block was not in the mix, I would just leave it. But I am reflecting on this from my perspective. Would it be easier to unstitch the basket and the the block above it as a unit? Then rotate those as one. Or would that not help and throw off the balance of your color layout. Nah, I like the look of the squared off blocks in the four corners. Forget the last suggestion. Guess you can see what other ideas pop up this morning.

Have a grand day. Your lay out does look good, except that tumbled basket.
Old 06-19-2024, 04:53 AM

Thanks, WMUTeach. I really want to leave it but I don’t think I can. It’s going to be a lot to pick apart. I haven’t gone in the sewing room yet. I’ll see what mood I’m in. Maybe put on an old movie and just start picking. Sheesh.
Originally Posted by WMUTeach
Hummm, I think I would unstitch and flip the basket block. It would bother me that it was upside down. Like you said if the heart block was not in the mix, I would just leave it. But I am reflecting on this from my perspective. Would it be easier to unstitch the basket and the the block above it as a unit? Then rotate those as one. Or would that not help and throw off the balance of your color layout. Nah, I like the look of the squared off blocks in the four corners. Forget the last suggestion. Guess you can see what other ideas pop up this morning.

Have a grand day. Your lay out does look good, except that tumbled basket.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

If it were mine, I'd have to flip either the basket or the heart block. You could leave it as a design feature, a "spilled basket", but I don't think I would be able to.

So sorry!

It looks great otherwise. The blue sashing is pretty.