Boom 31 Spring

Old 06-19-2024, 02:20 PM

Here’s the quilt finished. I just couldn’t let the mistake stay so the easiest thing was to flip the entire row and voila! Took hours but worth it. This is only my second machine binding. I like it but it seems so slow but compared to hand binding, it’s fast. I need to keep doing it to improve, especially in the corners.

Attached is also a pic of some of our latest visitors, a mama turkey and her chicks, or as I jokingly call them, turklettes.
Attached Thumbnails img_5981.jpeg   img_5975.jpeg  
Old 06-19-2024, 03:13 PM

Great save! Love watching your progress….and your turklettes!
Old 06-19-2024, 04:22 PM

Good idea to flip the whole row. I obviously did not think of that. You saved the day with some creative thinking.

Turkeys stopping by and taking a dip on a hot summer day? Tee-Hee-Hee!
Old 06-20-2024, 02:34 AM

Thanks, thimblebug. Posting progress pix makes me feel accountable so I must finish! lol. We love our turklettes!

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
Great save! Love watching your progress….and your turklettes!
I’m going to pull out another old set of boom blocks today. I think they’re from Boom 25. A blue floral with purple. I might get as well keep going!

Last edited by Janice McC; 06-20-2024 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:25 AM

Janice great solution on your upside down block. Our turkeys didn’t come back this year, we had so much fun watching them last year.

Janice here is my set up. Pics 1&2 are with sides up and picture 3 is when I’m not using it and sides are down. Hubby made the side sections and they sit on the free standing shelves. Works great

Boom 31 blocks are on the design board and last couple are pics of current top I am quilting. You can see how I tend to jerk on the right side of my rulers.
Attached Thumbnails img_3563.jpeg   img_3566.jpeg   img_3567.jpeg   img_3559.jpeg   img_3560.jpeg  

Old 06-20-2024, 06:38 AM

Terriamn, I spy with my little eye a block that I know well. I don't see errors in your ruler work, but your obviously know where you feel there is room for improvement. Looks good to me.

Happy First Day of Summer everyone! It is time to sit back with a frosty lemonade in the shade with a good book.... about winter perhaps. Tee-Hee-Hee. A couple of summers ago, I read "The Long Winter" by Laura I. Wilder and forgot all about how warm it was because the girls and Pa were making sticks to burn in the stove for heat out of prairie grass. I drifted away and forgot all about it being 95 in the shade. Enjoy your summer day everyone.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Janice, I love your finish. I would have done the same even though it's a pain. The end result is worth it.
Terry, nice blocks! Very cheerful.

It's beastly hot here. I'm inside. My husband loves the heat and is working outside. Have fun haha

We bought some fly traps. Omg, what a nightmare. He put them in the garage but it attracted flies from the whole city I think.
The odor was unbearable (but that's what attracted them). Today he put them in a ziploc bag and disposed of them. So gross!
Going to just keep the garage door closed as much as possible and hope none get in the house. I really don't like flies~

Last edited by SusieQOH; 06-20-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Brilliant save on the quilt, Janice! Great pic of your turkey family, too. We live in a heavily wooded area so we see turkeys crossing the road quite a bit, but I've never seen babies. They are so cute!

Terri, love your quilting setup. Mine is pretty much the same, only a Juki machine. Your quilting looks lovely! What wonderful texture. I forgot which block I made for that quilt.

Last night I finished sewing my Scrappy Celebration quilt top together, and decided it needs another row. So I thought I was done but have to make 7 more blocks! Oh well, won't take too long. I also have a QOV to quilt, and then I can get to the Boom quilts.

Happy first day of Summer!
Old 06-20-2024, 07:34 PM

Good evening. Had a cup of coffee tonight so now I’m awake.

Terriamn, your quilting set up is terrific. I love all the room you have to spread out. I would like my quilting to be as nice as yours! Try not to be so hard on yourself. Each quilt will teach you something.

This latest small quilt taught me I can do binding by machine but my corners need work. It taught me that I need to get better at supporting the quilt to lessen drag. I learned Mettler works great in my machine despite hearing from others that it doesn’t. And more than anything else, it taught me to quadruple check the layout before stitching together!

No bears or turkeys today but had a raccoon at the bird feeder. Probably the same one that destroyed my bluebird house. Not fond of them but they just do what they’re supposed to do, I guess.

SusieQ, lots of flies? Ick.

Old 06-24-2024, 05:14 AM

Morning, Boomers. Nothing much happening here. Had expected to be quilting but my Juki is down so that’s both machines now that need help. The juki started making an unusual clicking noise when I changed bobbins and I’ve done all the regular things, cleaning, oiling, replacing with a new bobbin, you name it. I’ve got a new bobbin case coming in today as I wanted a backup anyway so I’ll see if that’s it. In the meantime, I’m killing time with a jigsaw puzzle and errands.

Hope you all have a great week.