Boom 31 Spring

Old 07-19-2024, 04:24 AM

I am wallowing, Wallowing in a sewing slump. I have been cooped up in my home for nearly two weeks now and the last thing I want to do is sew. What is with that? Weird..The new hip is progressing well I guess, but sleeping is not so hot without drugs and I can't continue with that long term. I just get so uncomfortable, not in pain, just limited positions for laying or sitting. Whine, whine, whine. Ya would think I could be accomplishing all kinds of sewing tasks with time on my hands. Not so much. Guess I could be picking out fabric for the next Boom! OK, I feel the juices moving about in my head just a little. Keep at it girl, don't stop!
Old 07-19-2024, 06:11 AM

WMUTeach, you just had major surgery, you are allowed to wallow! Please be kind to yourself, as kind as you would be to someone else going through it. I think sometimes we’re harsher with ourselves, expecting too much. You’ll find your mojo again!
Old 07-19-2024, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

WMUT, keep doing your exercises and be patient with yourself. I know you will overcome this and be used to the new hip in no time.
Don't push the sewing mojo. If you need a break, you need a break. Maybe reading some quilting blogs or perusing new patterns might get some interest back. If not... read a good book! It's all good.
Old 07-19-2024, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

Janice, I piece on my Juki 2010Q. Love that scant 1/4" foot but I still use the magnetic seam guide to keep my seams consistant. I do have my old Bernina Record 830 for when I need to zig zag. That isn't often, unless I want to make some Frankenbatting. ( I join the batting by butting edges and then zig zagging.) Mostly, all I need is straight stitch.

I bought a cheaper Juki model for my daughter (that she never uses), and it has all the stitches. Zig zag and lots of other....
Old 07-19-2024, 11:12 AM

I had the brother PQ1500 for at least 25 years. It was a straight stitch and 1500 stitches a minute. That baby was a work house. When I sold it it was still in tip top shape. You could piece with it and quilt with it as it had a larger throat
Old 07-23-2024, 04:16 PM

Missing the chatter. Had my first post-op appointment and Doc and PA are very pleased with my progress. I can drive again!! Took myself out to Mc D's. Tee-Hee-Hee. I took my list of questions like a good patient and got them all answered. Time to start PT and then back to doc early September for a final OK.

I went to my quilting group last night. Was I inspired? Na, but I did get the directions for the last step of our mystery quilt. Many of the gals are doing the Michigan Shop Hop and it was fun to hear their tales and adventures. Three of them have been to 82 quilt shops. I can't imagine the time on the road to get to that many shops. Woozers!!
Old 07-24-2024, 04:49 AM

WMUT great news on your doctor visit

Went to a new chiropractor yesterday and back is a bit happier today. I have been trying to finish my candy blocks before we leave for vacation. Hopefully I will be able to sew a bit longer today

Hope everyone has a day filled with pleasant tasks
Old 07-24-2024, 07:42 AM

Good morning, Boomers. Remember that I’ll be posting Boom 32 on the 27th, just a few days from now!

WMUTeach, I miss the chatter, too. We’ve been busy these last few weeks. I look forward to hearing from a bunch of people in the coming weeks. I’m glad you’re doing well with your recovery. PT was crucial to healing my shoulder post surgery. I’m sure it will help you, too.

Today is an “exciting” day of laundry, cleaning, trips to Sam’s Club and the recycling center. Woo hoo! I’m off.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:41 PM

TaDa!! So happy with all your blocks - they had such a great pop of color and style!
I tried something different and hope I can explain. My QAYG backs are a mess so I put a whole row together. Basted the batting on each row and then quilted the entire row with batting but not the backing. It went so fast and I had so much fun doing each individual block with out any hassle. I didn't quilt the sashing.
I than sewed all the rows together, loosely hand sewing the batting together. how easy it was to baste the back to the neat top/batting.
I then just did two rows of straight stitches down and up the sashing.
Need to throw in washer and get all the dog hairs off!
Attached Thumbnails finished.jpg   fini.jpg  
Old 07-24-2024, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

That looks really sharp, TG! Another beautiful quilt done.

I finished my quilt made with the Christmas kitties (Boom 29) and it turned out really beautiful. You all made the most gorgeous blocks! I will wait until about November and then donate it for our Christmas Quilt Drive, for the local hospital for patients who have to spend Christmas there. I love the quilt!
Attached Thumbnails img_4892.jpeg  

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 07-24-2024 at 01:52 PM.