Boom 32 Squirrels

Old 08-30-2024, 06:03 AM

Good morning, again.

Here’s my block for MJPEncinitas. Hope you like it!

edited: I just updated my design wall and just love all the colors. This is usually how I decide what to work on next and I can easily pull colors to audition. So cheery this morning!!!
Attached Thumbnails img_6238.jpeg   img_6240.jpeg  

Last edited by Janice McC; 08-30-2024 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I like that idea Janice. I am glad to keep all mine in one basket but I do not really have a display wall in my studio.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:09 AM

Thank you for the block Janice. It’s beautiful. It’s funny, I don’t immediately recognize my block as the colors are so off on my IPad.

There were two conversations I wanted to jump in on. Better late than never.
Walking and steps. I use a Fitbit that monitors for steps, heart rate and heart arrhythmias. Now I’ll put on my exercise physiologist hat and let everyone know that 7500 steps is a good target to aim for if you’re just starting out. It’s great to work up to that. . The studies they’ve done show that if you reach that level you get almost all the benefits that those who do 10000 steps. So don’t be upset if you can’t reach Janice’s amazing 14000 step level. Kudos to you Janice that’s an excellent achievement and indicates you have a great fitness level, if you’re doing that most days! Here’s a little article https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/10000-steps/art-20317391.

For those who are battling knee problems etc, I recommend trying walking sticks. I got a pair when I did the Zion Narrows hike about two years. I ended up using wood sticks for that hike. The hike is through a river with vertical walls on each side. I was a little skeptical as one hiker had died, swept away on a flash flood, the week before we did it. But we checked it out and the rangers put up a sign warning people off if they expect trouble.

After I did that hike I found that I used the Metal walking sticks on almost all the hikes I did. They increased my hiking speed, helped protect my knees, especially on the downward part of hikes. And I used them for rehabbing my heart, they enabled me to go to further. And of course they are great for balance if you have balance issues. For those of you who have knee issues and its keeping you from walking I can recommend giving them a try and seeing if they help.
Attached Thumbnails img_2194.jpeg  
Old 08-30-2024, 08:10 AM

Here is one for SBG. Made it with the two fabrics... I had to go traditional.
Attached Thumbnails fb_img_1725034141297.jpg  
Old 08-30-2024, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Very nice layout displaying the fussy cutting of fabric print.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the walking information, MJP. I had hip replacement this July and finding returning to even 3000 steps a serious challenge. The use of walking sticks is an interesting concept. Of course I would continue to work with my doc and PT folks but if I could walk farther and with more confidence it would be wonderful.

Old 08-30-2024, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Lovely block for MJP, Janice. And, Hav... I love mine too! Traditional is great! Thank you.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:31 AM

Very interesting on the walking sticks MJP, hubby bought me a pair after my last major fall but u had a hard time coordinating them with my steps. Maybe I should try them again.

Janice love your idea on placing the fabrics on your design wall. I shake out about half the fabrics and place them next to the cutting table. I can look at them that way and think about coordinating fabrics. Like your idea better

I have to baby my shoulder and arm so very little sewing is allowed. Bah humbug.

Told hubby we might as well head to the lake if I can’t sew, he was thrilled. We will be here the next 4 days. Hopefully that will be all the time my shoulder needs to heal. Tomorrow we have 39 campers participating in our second annual cocktail and appetizer progressive walk. We have at least 2 couples per stop and the cocktails shouldn’t be over 4 oz. Our foursome is serving margaritas and walking tacos. Another couple is making slushy tropical snow cones and chicken wings. Last year was a blast, hoping this year is just as successful. It is a great way to meet up with campers that aren’t your usual group of friends

Reba this block is for you. I was pretty impressed with myself as I prefer to work from patterns and not just winging it. Looked up elevators in different coloring programs and came up with this
Attached Thumbnails img_3845.jpeg  
Old 08-30-2024, 09:40 AM

Here is one for NZ.
Attached Thumbnails fb_img_1725039597040.jpg  
Old 08-30-2024, 10:05 AM

Annaquilts, please check your PM's. Thank you.

Blocks posted through here...