Boom 32 Squirrels

Old 09-07-2024, 02:07 PM

Cheesehead you are on a roll they are all beautiful but especially like mine. Thank you

Janice funny and interesting on the parkway and the cities.

At our original campground we were right next to he boat landing and we saw many such incidents like you described.

Reba another gorgeous Cleopatra Fan
Old 09-07-2024, 02:34 PM

I’m not fond of making anything with points or two color blocks. So I got those two blocks out of the way.

I forgot that 10” wide fabric doesn’t go far. My intention was to make Anna an Ohio star using the taupe (kinda gray) fabric for much of the block. . The taupe fabric didn’t go as far as I would’ve liked so I added light blue. There were four Ohio star blocks in the patterns Anna requested so I made her one of those. Unfortunately, The picture is slightly blurry. I liked the deeper colors requested to go with the taupe fabric. I used a blue tinged with green as I thought the warm taupe fabric would do better with that. Orange would look really great with that fabric.

For WMU teach, I also made an Ohio Star, since she likes Stars. I couldn’t resist added an applique in the middle. That two color block came together much easier than the first one I made. I was thankful you included enough of the white to do this block. I noticed one of the edges was fraying so I put fray check on it, I could’ve just trimmed it but I thought fray check was the better solution. I think I might use this pattern with all two color blocks.

I know we don’t have to do the requests but I always do. I don’t want to give a block that won’t be used. I did have a whole series of amazing farm applique block patterns, from a cruising quilter shop hop I went on years ago but I set them aside.

It was fun to dip my toe back into the boom waters. The first block took a long time making sure the points were correct but the second one was a lot quicker.
Attached Thumbnails img_2201.jpeg   img_2200.jpeg  

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 09-07-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2024, 02:38 PM

We have heat advisory here in San Diego, although our temp won’t hit 100 (just feels like 100). We cancelled our tennis match. My husband rolled the room air conditioner (used less than 8 times in the last 5 years) into the sewing room. I was very happy to get back into boom blocks again. We have the advisory for another few days.

Thursday and Friday we went boogie boarding. I had a wipe out on Friday. MY husband told me the lifeguard who was cruising by in his truck, stopped to make sure I was ok. I thanked him later and he told me ‘it’s good for you”. JT, Hubbie, got burned a little bit and I tweaked my wrist so we skipped today. We hope to go tomorrow.

Here is the oldies surf WIPEOUT song. It’s been in my head since I wiped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 09-07-2024 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2024, 02:41 PM

I know it is not unique to Michigan but in my area we drink pop not soda. We also have Yoopers and trolls. (MIchiganders who live north of the bridge and those who live south of the bridge.) Suppose I should explain "the bridge". We call the Mackinac Bridge, THE Bridge though most of us pronounce it Machinaw. We all know what and where it is! Tee-Hee-Hee.

Loving the fan blocks. They do have a special place in my heart. Refer to previous post about the fans and my challenges.
Old 09-07-2024, 03:17 PM

MJP, your blocks are lovely. LOL. you don't like two of my favorite parts about quilting: Points, namely stars, and two color quilts! See, there is so much variety in what we can do, enough for everyone to find something they love. You are correct about the 10 inch fabric. Sometimes I cannot make the block I want due to the size of the fabric. It happened once or twice this round but I was able to switch gears and make something else. I also like to use a lot of the fabric we're sent so I have to be careful I can get all my cuts out of the piece. I will resort to drawing it out on a sheet of paper and cutting out the pieces to see if I've got enough by laying them on the f8. I'm sure your recipients appreciate you following the style or theme requests. I usually make as close as I can come to the style request but not always. I want to have a little room for my own style.

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas
I’m not fond of making anything with points or two color blocks. So I got those two blocks out of the way.

I forgot that 10” wide fabric doesn’t go far. My intention was to make Anna an Ohio star using the taupe (kinda gray) fabric for much of the block. . The taupe fabric didn’t go as far as I would’ve liked so I added light blue. There were four Ohio star blocks in the patterns Anna requested so I made her one of those. Unfortunately, The picture is slightly blurry. I liked the deeper colors requested to go with the taupe fabric. I used a blue tinged with green as I thought the warm taupe fabric would do better with that. Orange would look really great with that fabric.

For WMU teach, I also made an Ohio Star, since she likes Stars. I couldn’t resist added an applique in the middle. That two color block came together much easier than the first one I made. I was thankful you included enough of the white to do this block. I noticed one of the edges was fraying so I put fray check on it, I could’ve just trimmed it but I thought fray check was the better solution. I think I might use this pattern with all two color blocks.

I know we don’t have to do the requests but I always do. I don’t want to give a block that won’t be used. I did have a whole series of amazing farm applique block patterns, from a cruising quilter shop hop I went on years ago but I set them aside.

It was fun to dip my toe back into the boom waters. The first block took a long time making sure the points were correct but the second one was a lot quicker.
I'm off to add in the latest blocks. BTW, we're getting some outside traffic on the gallery website. Hundreds of views a week. I'm sure that isn't just us. If only a couple of those people who lurk and view would join, it would be wonderful. And do you all see how many views this thread has as of today? 26,077. If only a miniscule percentage of those people would join, we'd have a wave of new people. Come on, lurkers! Join us the next round. We'd love to have you!
Old 09-07-2024, 03:30 PM

I always found the water off San Diego to be way too cold to spend much time in it. DH was remarking how our pool is so much warmer than the ocean off SD. I think it's been too cold but he continues to draw the comparison and goes in. Brrr.
How neat that you boogie board. I never liked that but I did do a little sail boarding in Mission Bay and around Coronado. Never very coordinated, it was fun but a challenge for me.
Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas
We have heat advisory here in San Diego, although our temp won’t hit 100 (just feels like 100). We cancelled our tennis match. My husband rolled the room air conditioner (used less than 8 times in the last 5 years) into the sewing room. I was very happy to get back into boom blocks again. We have the advisory for another few days.

Thursday and Friday we went boogie boarding. I had a wipe out on Friday. MY husband told me the lifeguard who was cruising by in his truck, stopped to make sure I was ok. I thanked him later and he told me ‘it’s good for you”. JT, Hubbie, got burned a little bit and I tweaked my wrist so we skipped today. We hope to go tomorrow.

Here is the oldies surf WIPEOUT song. It’s been in my head since I wiped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M
Old 09-07-2024, 09:17 PM

Water in SoCal is much colder than the east coast. It was 72 today. I wore a full wet suit. Let’s me stay in the water much longer. My husband didn’t bother putting a wet suit on. But I’m a wimp. When I’m snorkeling in Hawaii I wear a full wet suit. I can snorkel for over an hour with the wetsuit on. I”m going to have to do knee repairs on my wetsuit after the season is over.
Old 09-08-2024, 06:46 AM

MJP I love to snorkel but can’t even imagine bogey boarding. Love your blocks.

WMUT we also call soda pop here but we have traveled around enough that we say soda now. Love “ The Bridge” and the trolls etc.

We received very sad news yesterday. My hubby is the youngest of 5 siblings. His closest brother is 10 years older than him and the only sibling he remembers growing up with is his brother Bob. Bob was a brilliant man, a teacher, coach and principal. He has had 2 strokes and was improving but has gone downhill rapidly and his poor wife can no longer take care of him and he will be going into a Memory care facility the first. Devastating
Old 09-08-2024, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

Thank you mjp for the beautiful shimmering Ohio Star block. Yes, there is not enough in that type of cut Fat 1/8 to make the background in that type of star, speaking from experience. You did great. I love the shimmering/digital feel of the star fabric. Thank you for accommodating my request.
Old 09-08-2024, 08:25 AM

Here are a few more :-) hugs all!
Attached Thumbnails img_0961.jpeg   img_0960.jpeg   img_0959.jpeg   img_0958.jpeg