Boom 32 Squirrels

Old 09-08-2024, 09:30 AM

Reba you are a star master! It’s fun for me to get stars because it’s not something I usually make.
Old 09-08-2024, 09:39 AM

Two more. I call these the fabric that’s too beautiful to cut up and the careful color choice block.

I loved sewbiz beautiful floral fabric. This is my favorite floral fabric I’ve seen in a while. I guess I must like more modern fabrics than traditional. I had two ideas that didn’t pan out. I thought I’d try to get some striped fabric out of the main fabric. I’d have the stripes going the opposite way. But I didn’t have enough fabric and when I put it on my design wall it looked bad. Then I cut out a black strip. Again on the design wall it looked terrible. I wanted the sewbiz fabric to be the eye catching part of the block and the black hindered that. So I used a yellow from each of the two fabrics you sent. I love the color harmony in this and hope you do too. I ironed all the seams to one side for you. I usually do the middle one open but then I remembered you like the seams to the side.

This is the #2 block from Tula Pinks City Sampler 100 Modern quilt blocks. I use this block a lot when I can’t bear to cut up the fabric.
Attached Thumbnails img_2205.jpeg  

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 09-08-2024 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-08-2024, 09:51 AM

The 2nd too beautiful to cut up the fabric is for All2Pieces.

Silly me, I didn’t put this on my design wall and used an interesting pink patterned fabric but it didn’t quite match. Out came the seam ripper. I pulled out a salmon color that matched perfectly and filled the make a colorful block request. If you FMQ (free motion quilt) this it will make a great place for a design. After I took the picture I went back and trimmed the outside a little better. I didn’t take another picture. Amazing what the picture can show you.

I thought I’d make the same block for All2 as I did for Sewbiz but I couldn’t make the fussy cutting work. So instead I used The Tula Pink’s City Sampler 100 modern blocks #4. Love those birds

I feel like I’m finally getting into the swing of things for these blocks. I will do all the applique blocks on my van trip in October. I can cut out the pieces in the van and then sew them on when we have three days in the hotel room.
Attached Thumbnails img_2206.jpeg  

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 09-08-2024 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:01 AM

Terriamn, I’m sorry to hear about your DBIL. It’s a sad road. I hope he will be made comfortable in the unit. Hugs.
Old 09-08-2024, 11:02 AM

Two for Ibex94, enjoy! Hugs!
Attached Thumbnails img_0962.jpeg   img_0963.jpeg  
Old 09-08-2024, 11:04 AM

Love that block MJPEncinitas, I’ve not used that fabric yet because it ishould be fussy cut. Yours looks great! Hugs!
Old 09-08-2024, 12:35 PM

Reba, I just experienced the weirdest thing, I was looking at the block you just made for me and my eyes looked at the four quadrants. My thought, " very odd block". Then my eyes shifted view to the whole block and it makes a pinwheel in the center with alternating white/print frames around it. Not an odd block at all.Thanks for the fun of looking at your neat, clean, and precise block in two different ways. I like it. A fun addition to my collection.

Now, back to cutting and stitching.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 09-08-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-08-2024, 12:44 PM

Terriamn, Part of me is so sorry for your brother-in-law but the part of me is so pleased that we now have safe secure living places for folks who need specialized care. Making this decision surely must have been difficult for everyone and yes, very, very sad and yes, devastating.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 09-08-2024 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2024, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Thank you mjp for the beautiful shimmering Ohio Star block. Yes, there is not enough in that type of cut Fat 1/8 to make the background in that type of star, speaking from experience. You did great. I love the shimmering/digital feel of the star fabric. Thank you for accommodating my request.
It was good for my brain! I should practice stars more often.
Old 09-08-2024, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
Reba, I just experienced the weirdest thing, I was looking at the block you just made for me and my eyes looked at the four quadrants. My thought, " very odd block". Then my eyes shifted view to the whole block and it makes a pinwheel in the center with alternating white/print frames around it.
yes I was looking for a cool and different 2-color block, and it looks a little like a spider web too so I used the Halloween fabric. 2-color blocks can be very cool. Hugs!