Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • Boomerang 3.0-CLOSED for Signups--(SWAPPERS PLS READ PG 155) >
  • Boomerang 3.0-CLOSED for Signups--(SWAPPERS PLS READ PG 155)

• Boomerang 3.0-CLOSED for Signups--(SWAPPERS PLS READ PG 155)

Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
    Originally Posted by quiltlin
    I'm fine with 18 x 11 but I always thought a fat 8th was 9x22. I used to work in a quilt store and this is what we cut. Since I haven't bought my fabric yet and haven't cut it I'm good. Am going shopping next week to get the fabric.
    I found the following definition for a F8 somewhere online, and printed it out for myself so that I have it to refer to. I don't often have to cut F8's, so it's helpful to have the definition on hand:

"FAT EIGHTH: An 1/8-yard piece of 44/45" fabric that is cut in differently than a traditional 1/8-yard cut, which measures 4-1/2" x 44". To get a fat eighth, a traditional 1/4-yard piece of fabric (9" x 44") is cut in half crosswise, yielding two 9" x 22" pieces, each of which is a "fat" eight yard."

HTH,

Odessa

Edited to add: If you cut a half yard piece {18" x 44"}, cut in half along the crease {18" x 22"}, then cut in half again in the same direction {18" x 11"}, then you will also have 1/i yard of fabric in your cuts. You ought to be able to get 8 pieces from a yard if you do it this way, too, and I don't know that anyone really cares which way it's cut, as long as they have a decent size piece to work with.
    That may be so but I'm going by the info April posted for everyone to follow. When everyone decides what size to cut let me know and I'll get mine done. Thanks.
    Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by hoppyfrog
    Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
    I'm fine with 18 x 11 but I always thought a fat 8th was 9x22. I used to work in a quilt store and this is what we cut. Since I haven't bought my fabric yet and haven't cut it I'm good. Am going shopping next week to get the fabric.
    I found the following definition for a F8 somewhere online, and printed it out for myself so that I have it to refer to. I don't often have to cut F8's, so it's helpful to have the definition on hand:

"FAT EIGHTH: An 1/8-yard piece of 44/45" fabric that is cut in differently than a traditional 1/8-yard cut, which measures 4-1/2" x 44". To get a fat eighth, a traditional 1/4-yard piece of fabric (9" x 44") is cut in half crosswise, yielding two 9" x 22" pieces, each of which is a "fat" eight yard."

HTH,

Odessa

Edited to add: If you cut a half yard piece {18" x 44"}, cut in half along the crease {18" x 22"}, then cut in half again in the same direction {18" x 11"}, then you will also have 1/i yard of fabric in your cuts. You ought to be able to get 8 pieces from a yard if you do it this way, too, and I don't know that anyone really cares which way it's cut, as long as they have a decent size piece to work with.
    That may be so but I'm going by the info April posted for everyone to follow. When everyone decides what size to cut let me know and I'll get mine done. Thanks.
    It makes no difference to me. Mine are already cut 11X18. I believe both 9X22 and 11X18 are correct, it just depends on who is doing the cutting.
    Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 PM

Mine are already cut to 18x11 too, since that's what the instructions in the first post say. Hopefully that's right, because I can't afford to buy more of the fabric at the moment. :? (I could buy SO much more fabric if we didn't have those pesky little things like house payments, power bills, etc! LOL!)

1) You will select a fabric or selection of fabrics from your stash (or you can buy new-up to you) and cut them in to Fat Eighths (18 x 11).
    Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 AM

Mine is cut at 11 x 18 also. Just went by instructions.
    Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 AM

I'm sorry to have started a fire storm....and in my first swap. Was just wondering about the difference in measurements. It all adds up to the same amount of fabric, just a different configuration. 11x18 is what I'll be cutting and sending. I'm looking forward to this swap and I'm really not a difficult person to get along with!!!!:)
    Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 AM

I'm sorry to have started a fire storm....and in my first swap. Was just wondering about the difference in measurements. It all adds up to the same amount of fabric, just a different configuration. 11x18 is what I'll be cutting and sending. I'm looking forward to this swap and I'm really not a difficult person to get along with!!!!:)
    lol I don't think it really matters, I think it was for ease of getting the fabric into the envelope, but I could be wrong.
    Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 AM

I play Canasta most every Tuesday afternoon. That is what we comment about... "If an alien from another planet dropped in for a look, he'd surely scratch his head in wonder. Why we work so hard to straighten out 4 decks of cards, just to mix them all up again!"

Jupiter
    Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 AM

We are all mad I say just mad.
    Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 AM

Hi Oatw13,

I've been looking at your photo and can't decide what I am seeing between your hands. Is that a cow or dog or??? Just thought I'd ask.

Jupiter
    Old 08-06-2010, 07:03 AM

Are these blocks supposed to be traditionasl quilt blocks, or is applique or non-traditional welcomed here?...

Jupiter